re-installing snags

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

techchallenged

Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Recently switched from Dish to Charter cable to bundle services, did a free month with Dish, and have told Charter to come take their boxes back. They disconnected the dish and have their box installed, which I'm keeping because I'm keeping their phone and internet service. There is the main line from the ground to one splitter...a line off of that is for the internet and phone, and another to a 4-way splitter to the 4 rooms/outlets. I don't know what they did with the diplexer for my two lines off the dish, but figured I could pick one up somewhere and just go from it to the 4-way splitter. To test it I tried to do just one of the lines, but no luck. Is it because the Dish signal won't go through the Charter splitter, or is there another issue?

Dish is coming back for an install in about a week, but I was hoping I could figure it out myself and get back up and running. I've got a 625 and 501 if that makes a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Try using the diplexer immediately before the Dish receiver and use the sat-out as the input to the receiver. The 625 is a dual tuner receiver, did it have a Dish separator so you could use only one line? I'd have the Dish installer run lines directly to each receiver and forgo the use of diplexers. They may have disconnected the sat input outside. Did you check that it's still being diplexed with the cable signal outside?

when charter connected, they disconnected the dish cables somwhere. i assure you.

you must have a direct line from your dish to your reciver. NO SPLITTERS!!!! trace out your lines from receiever to dish.

diplexors may be used if properly connected and needed.

im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d938b3127ccec4f351ff8c8900000040O08CbuGjdy5ag9vPgw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

It wouldn't let me post a link, but if you put a http : / / in front of that you can see what I've got.

If I figure out which of the 4 lines into the splitter is to the living room / 625 and get it connected directly to the Dish cables via diplexer, will it work with the existing cables? There is a separator on the back of the receiver.
Thanks!
Tracing the lines is tough...when they go into the brick wall I can locate them again in the attic as they span to different rooms and drop between walls, bit it's just cables...no connectors anywhere that I can find.

It wouldn't let me post a link, but if you put a http : / / in front of that you can see what I've got.

If I figure out which of the 4 lines into the splitter is to the living room / 625 and get it connected directly to the Dish cables via diplexer, will it work with the existing cables? There is a separator on the back of the receiver.
Thanks!
Tracing the lines is tough...when they go into the brick wall I can locate them again in the attic as they span to different rooms and drop between walls, bit it's just cables...no connectors anywhere that I can find.

were not the same cables existing before for the dish? didnt charter just rehook everything to make thier system work?

do you know what a diplexor does?

ps: couldnt make your link work

find the cable that comes from the dish, if it was cut by charter, you are going to have to splice them or replace the cable. you can find the cable from the 625 by touching your tounge to it (installers do it all the time). you should get a little shock from it.

i would forget about all diplexing until you get sat signal to your 625 from the dish.

I thought a diplexer would have two inputs for lines from the dish and one output (ideally that I could run to that existing splitter, but connecting just one of the two lines from the dish to the existing splitter did not work).

Last edited:
cables weren't cut by charter...they're hanging to the right of charters box on the side of the house. the orange line is the main cable from the ground, the one left of it is for the phone/internet, right is the TV line going to the 4-way splitter.

ry%3D320
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b...uGjdy5ag9vPgw/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=480/ry=320/

I would call the cable company and tell them to get back out there and make your dish work. The ONLY reason he unhooked your dish is to be an A-HOLE.

If your internet worked when the dish guy left, he didn't do anything wrong. the charter guy is an A-HOLE period.

It's surprising that he didn't just cut the cables even if he wasn't going to use the same cables going into the house. That's what the Comcast and Charter guys(A-holes) do here.

ok, i think i see whats going on.

charter merely used existing cable to hook you up. personally i dont have a problem with that. its good that they didnt cut your dish cables.

im thinking that 2 cables that are on the splitter on the right are the ones we are interested in. 1 probably runs to where your reciver was, and the other runs to where TV2 was. disconnect BOTH of these from that splitter. fiqure out which one goes to the receiver (the tongue trick works, with the 625 powered on and the coax connected to the seperator). that one goes to that ground block hanging to the right of your cable box. shouldnt matter which side. you should now get sat signal on your 625.

do you have a diplexor behind your 625?

to get tv2 going, you will need another one. and a sort piece of RG6 jumper cable to hook it up at the ground block

This is basically what you want it to look like when you are done... good luck, and yes... the tongue test works well, or a multimeter if you have one :)

Attachments

• distex7.jpg
    distex7.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 139