RE: Poll of what is most important to us about Dish Network at satelliteguys.us!

tonyp56

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 13, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
OK, poll has been open for a little over two days, and the number one issue so far is more HDTV (43%)! So I guess NBR, buggy software, customer support, and etc. aren't that big of an issue after all!

Please continue voting, so that we can help build a measage to deliver to Dish.

What is most important to us about Dish Network at Satelliteguys.us

ORE=MORE :rolleyes:

Please Note: if you select other, please type what your concern is below. No long winded answers please, just short and simple, that way it will be easier to figure out what is most important to us.

The reason why I said to "at satelliteguys.us!" is because we do not make up every customer of Dish Network.

All pertain to 921:

More TRUE HD tops the list.

Reliable software is next important.

Dark Video is next.

NBR would be nice, but OTA stability would even be better.

Pet Peeve: When hitting CANCEL in any menu, it doesn't take you back to the previous menu, it EXITS all of the menu's and puts you back to whatever channel you were viewing. This makes several areas irritating to use. Weather & favorites as well as Locals, Dish Setup. Fix it like the 522 where you only go back 1 level.

I really do want more HD but I voted for better quality control on software. What good does it do to have more channels if you have to fight with your receiver all the time?

NightRyder

I really want the 921s OTA guide data to work as advertized. That means working without a subscription to locals, digital guide data (not analog remap), works with any station, not just ones in your DMA, works even for those that subscribe to distant locals. In other words, do the solution implemented for the 811.

This poll doesn't really make sense. Obviously, a receiver must be reliable. It must record ALL the programmed timers. Even Dish wouldn't argue with this.

NBR, HD content, are not promised. Dish could announce tomorrow that they have no intention of supporting these things, ever (they're not going to issue a press release saying that a reciver is EXPECTED to crash and reboot on a daily basis).

David,

Of course Dish is going to agree that a receiver should work, but apparently they don't care, or don't worry about it, otherwise every receiver that they release wouldn't have as many problems as theirs does. Of course every piece of software/hardware has its problems, but the software that Dish releases on their receivers is beyond accidental goofs. The idea of this poll is not to make Dish announce that "yeah our receivers have problems," it is so that they see what Dish Network (and even non-Dish Network) customers don't like about their service, support, equipment, programming, etc. so that perhaps they may try to fix at least some of the problems that we bring to their attention. Everyone is talking about how we need to organize this forum, and try to get an organized message to deliver to Dish, and that is all I am trying to do, or at least start doing. If, and I say if, Dish is going to be at least hearing about this forum it will be better to have a consistent message, otherwise it is going to be nothing but a bunch of ramblings about Dish Network.

David_Levin said:
This poll doesn't really make sense. Obviously, a receiver must be reliable. It must record ALL the programmed timers. Even Dish wouldn't argue with this.

NBR, HD content, are not promised. Dish could announce tomorrow that they have no intention of supporting these things, ever (they're not going to issue a press release saying that a reciver is EXPECTED to crash and reboot on a daily basis).

I agree that the poll doesn't make a lot of sense. We should have compiled a list of issues first, then created a couple of polls. Maybe one poll for HD content (which of the following channels would be most important.....). Another poll on which bugs/features are the most important ones to work on.

You said NBR and HD content are not promised? Tell that to Scott! Wasn't Scott the one that actually cemented in a poll in his back yard to mount his superdish, intent on getting the 50 HD channels that dish PROMISED us last year?? There was an official press release on it even!

We have had lots of discussions about the NBR promise, please read through the different threads about that. We've made audio tape clips of Dish executives making that promise.

The number one issue is HD Content. The next issue is having a quality, DVR reciever for HD.

If HD was available and affordable, I bet the NBR issue on legacy boxes would go away. I have a 721 and do not miss NBR in any way.

jsanders said:
I agree that the poll doesn't make a lot of sense. We should have compiled a list of issues first, then created a couple of polls. Maybe one poll for HD content (which of the following channels would be most important.....). Another poll on which bugs/features are the most important ones to work on.

You said NBR and HD content are not promised? Tell that to Scott! Wasn't Scott the one that actually cemented in a poll in his back yard to mount his superdish, intent on getting the 50 HD channels that dish PROMISED us last year?? There was an official press release on it even!

We have had lots of discussions about the NBR promise, please read through the different threads about that. We've made audio tape clips of Dish executives making that promise.
How are you going to complile a list if you don't start somewhere? What are you going to do pull a list out of thin air? Vote on the poll, if you don't like it make your own, but there has to be a start somewhere.

tonyp56 said:
How are you going to complile a list if you don't start somewhere? What are you going to do pull a list out of thin air? Vote on the poll, if you don't like it make your own, but there has to be a start somewhere.

You need to ask how???

Why not just start a thead, "What items would you like to see voted on in a poll to prioritise our concerns with dish?"

This board isn't about everyone "making their own". The point is for us all to work together. Try something like, step one, everyone list concerns. Step two, everyone prioritise concerns. Step three everyone list possible courses of action. Step four, everyone prioritise and and decide on courses of action with contingency plans in place. That is a loose framework of how we can all work together. I voted in your poll because I am trying to work with you. However, your list does lack elements (I'm not saying mine would be much better). Two heads are better than one, and many people making contributions can make a much more solid list.

Would you like to start a list like that? If you haven't noticed, I already made the list investigation I was talking about in this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=39756

In this thread, every time someone has made a suggestion, I have added it to the list found in the first post on the thead. If you want me to add the items in your list, I will be more than willing to do that, you have some very good ideas. From your poll results so far, I think it would be prudent to break your list up into sections, generate a list on what HDTV programming is most importnat, a list on most important bugs to be fixed, a list on what are the most important features to add, etc.. My list is about bugs and features added.

The choice is yours. What would you like to do?

jsanders said:
You need to ask how???

Why not just start a thead, "What items would you like to see voted on in a poll to prioritise our concerns with dish?"

This board isn't about everyone "making their own". The point is for us all to work together. Try something like, step one, everyone list concerns. Step two, everyone prioritise concerns. Step three everyone list possible courses of action. Step four, everyone prioritise and and decide on courses of action with contingency plans in place. That is a loose framework of how we can all work together. I voted in your poll because I am trying to work with you. However, your list does lack elements (I'm not saying mine would be much better). Two heads are better than one, and many people making contributions can make a much more solid list.

Would you like to start a list like that? If you haven't noticed, I already made the list investigation I was talking about in this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=39756

In this thread, every time someone has made a suggestion, I have added it to the list found in the first post on the thead. If you want me to add the items in your list, I will be more than willing to do that, you have some very good ideas. From your poll results so far, I think it would be prudent to break your list up into sections, generate a list on what HDTV programming is most importnat, a list on most important bugs to be fixed, a list on what are the most important features to add, etc.. My list is about bugs and features added.

The choice is yours. What would you like to do?
That is what I am trying to do, and that is what I am trying to communicate to you and others. I am going to make a post in a week or two, (after everyone gets a chance to vote) and I will go down through my answers in my poll, and the majority will win, I will then ask everyone to list for instance what HD channel, or what catagory of HD channels they want, or I will ask, what area of Software QC is of most importance to them, why do you think having Dish Home on your 921 and etc. receiver should be done, why does it matter to have NBR, and etc... But to me at least, if you don't know where to begin, you won't have any idea of what is most important to people. We both are trying to do it, it is just you've taken a different direction than I have. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes, nor am I denying the importance of working together. If the majority of everyone that votes on this poll says HD channels, then that tells me, that NBR isn't that big of a issue, whether or not we feel like we are getting screwed on MPEG4 is of no concern of mine in this poll because I know everyone (myself included) is going to say that we are, I already know this, so I didn't need to make it an answer to the poll. But it will be benificial to everyone to know that a majority is concerned with HD channels, not software quality control, not Fav list on 811, and not Dish Home on the 921. (or what ever way this poll shakes out) Then after we find out that the majority wants more HD channels for instance, I am going find out what kind of HD channels. (please note I am using this as a example) It would be pointless for me to make a post asking people what bugs them the most about SW control, because a majority isn't concerned with it. Do you understand where I am going here, I am taking the pulse of people to find out what issue is most important, then I will find out why, or what, and then try to give a picture of what most concerns people at satelliteguys.us about Dish Network.

You, from what I can tell are trying to come up with a list of concerns, then vote on which is most important, then find out why, and then figure out the course of action. And I am trying to get my list of concerns from this poll, I'll miss stuff and you'll miss stuff, but hopefully we will be able to come together in the middle somewhere. Your right, two heads are better than one, and perhaps I will be able to add to your list of concerns, then we (everyone) can continue on to the next step. If for instance I find that fifty people are concerned with new HD, but you find out sixty are concerned with Dish Home on the 921, we now have a list from most important (dish home) to second most important (more HD). And in the end, both of us contributed to the measage to dish. We want Dish Home on the 921, then we want more HD, and then .... And of course some things in my poll can be then sub-divided further (ie 1st HD movie channels, 2nd General entertainment, etc.) and some of the concerns that you come up with could be sub-divided as well, (ie 921 owners want NBR most, 721 are less interested, and etc...)

You, and anyone that wants to use this poll to better come up with a consistant measage to deliver Dish, use it, help me come up with a better poll, use my poll to make your own that is better so that it helps everyone here. That is what I meant when I said make your own, if there is something I didn't do right, fix it, make it better, that is what I was talking about. Make it better so that everyone can get a measage togther and send it to Dish. My feeling won't get hurt, this isn't about me, it is about US vs DISH.

Thank you for working with me, lets continue that, and anytime that I am needed I am willing to work with anyone on getting a message to Dish, I am there 100%!

Tony, regardless of what others may say or think, I appreciate the work and what you are trying to accomplish. Keep it up.

Hypercable UFOThe solution !

WATCH OUT !
UFO are coming with "The CROP"
to enhance the vision of your DTT
and Hypercable The Wireless Cable​

Web: www.mds.fr - www.wadsl.com
Hypercable -241 Rue des Carrières - ZA de la Ronze - 69440 Taluyers France.​

Dark video and lockups are examples of SW quality control issues so they should be included in that count for the final ranking. I voted same as NightRyder for the same reason but would have liked to vote for 3 issues

I agree that this poll is a good start on voicing our concerns to Dish. I also feel that any poll in a forum of computer literate early adopters like the Dish Network Users Group is going to start with more HD, because that is the future of television. That will be true when Dish has 50 or 75 channels going 24/7. The more useful data coming out of the poll is what we perceive as shortcomings of Dish in quality control and customer support (including the NBR issue).

I voted other.
How about just plain ole HONESTY ?
If they list something as a feature on a receiver, then provide it.
If they say a feature is coming to a receiver, provide it.
Lets not get nitpicky with using legalize as to what was said, as in what is "Dishwire" or was NBR really promised on all receivers.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, then lets call it a duck already.
How about we have the ability to deal with a company that treats their customers with respect and fulfils their promises. A company with INTEGRITY.

BobaBird said:
Dark video and lockups are examples of SW quality control issues so they should be included in that count for the final ranking. I voted same as NightRyder for the same reason but would have liked to vote for 3 issues
I understand, but the real point is coming up with the most important. Of course you are more than welcome to state the other two, let your peace be said, Dish could still stand to hear it!

A Poll organizes things. A thread is left with tons of scrambled things.

Use: MicroSoft OS, Office, other compilers for programming programs that run under the best OS in the world, Microsoft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)