Re-Roofing, Mounting Advice

CowboyDren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
My house is do for a new roof, which will include removing a great number of decking sheets, too. That said, my roof-mounted 129 wing dish will be removed and replaced, maybe with a 24" dish, maybe a 30" dish. I may also relocate my 110/119 dish to the house at a later date, and I want to be ready for that, too. This brings a big question:

Should I use mounting pads like this one or should I just anchor a 1.6" pole to my trusses and flash it like a vent pipe? The dish is located near the eave, so I could put a 2' long pole half-way under the roof and tie it to a truss in the center and at the bottom, leaving a foot or so above the shingles. I could even route the cable through the pipe, using a 180° elbow at the top and a plug to ward off cable drip.

The pole is cheap, but quite permanent. The pad is expensive, but unobtrusive, should I remove the dish at a later date. Also, is it okay to put my 110/119 D500 on one of these pads? What do you think?

My house is do for a new roof, which will include removing a great number of decking sheets, too. That said, my roof-mounted 129 wing dish will be removed and replaced, maybe with a 24" dish, maybe a 30" dish. I may also relocate my 110/119 dish to the house at a later date, and I want to be ready for that, too. This brings a big question:

Should I use mounting pads like this one or should I just anchor a 1.6" pole to my trusses and flash it like a vent pipe? The dish is located near the eave, so I could put a 2' long pole half-way under the roof and tie it to a truss in the center and at the bottom, leaving a foot or so above the shingles. I could even route the cable through the pipe, using a 180° elbow at the top and a plug to ward off cable drip.

The pole is cheap, but quite permanent. The pad is expensive, but unobtrusive, should I remove the dish at a later date. Also, is it okay to put my 110/119 D500 on one of these pads? What do you think?

alot of what you are asking is a matter of your preference in the appearance. whos going to be looking that close at your roof?? you are going to be mounting a dish on it anyway so that is way more noticeable than the mount. anyway pole, or pad, either is fine.

a D500 or a D1000.2 mast will mount to one of those pads no problem. if you mount a pole, use a 1-5/8" O.D. galvanized pole.

let LINE OF SITE for all possible needed sats drive the location of your mount.

if you mount a pole, ensure that it is PLUMB in 2 directions.

if you mount a pad, it also helps if that is level left and right of line of sight.

use this opportunity to rewire your house to industry standards.

All Dish cables run to Demarc (like near the electric panel) and RG6 2250 Mhz cable run from each room to the same Demarc. Makes life easier in the future, trust me.

alot of what you are asking is a matter of your preference in the appearance. whos going to be looking that close at your roof??
a D500 or a D1000.2 mast will mount to one of those pads no problem. if you mount a pole, use a 1-5/8" O.D. galvanized pole.
You haven't met my wife. :)

If I use a pad, do I need to use the extra struts to hold a D500 or D1000.2 mast steady, or if I install it properly, can I just use the four corner screws and the big center screw?

When I remounted mine after a reroofing I used threaded bolts. Each bolt went thru short lengths of 2X4s under the sheathing where the lags could not hit a truss. I also used 2" fender washers on the underside to distribute the load. Locknuts were applied to all bolts.

It cost me about $10 extra in hardware and another hour, but the dish has not move a bit in four years despite some winds in the 65 MPH range and a lot of snow.

just remounted mine also.

bought one of these (the one on the left). very solid.

1 5/8" Universal Roof / Wall Mount Dish

you could add some 2x4 (or 6) ties between the rafters to attach the struts later while they have the roof open now. i replaced the hardware with hot dipped galvanized.

bruce

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)