reactivating a factory wiped 3gs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thanks for the update on Cydia, Dee.
I normally keep an eye on CydiaHelp.com, and I see this morning they have the same info.

I'm patiently awaiting the untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1 , which is the iOS on my phone.
(not my doing)
I'm here to tell ya, a tethered jailbreak AND a short-run battery, are not a combination you want to deal with! ;)

I now characterize my battery life as: down 75% in 12 hours.
That's from several very similar runs (nuttin' happening).

Last night, I installed a new lithium battery.
It's 1600 mah compared to stock 1200 mah (5.92 w/h vs 4.51 w/h)
I've heard that non-standard batteries were rejected by the iOS, and was upset when this one arrived.
But, I didn't have a lot of options, so I put it in (maybe an hour, for a first-timer).
After I get a few charge-discharge cycles under the belt, I hope to put the phone into service with one of several 3rd party sims, already on hand. :)

I really can't go with a tethered JB. I've had mine crash a few times and I had to force a reboot on it to get it working again. Each time it happened I was away from home.
I would have been in a world of poop if I would have had to hook it to a PC to reboot it. Not cool.

As for the battery, how hard is it to change one? Or would I do better to pay someone to do it for me?

Thanks! :)

Oh, a tethered jailbreak is a foolish thing to have.
I didn't like the concept going in.
But once I discovered what'd been done to this phone, that was my only option.
Never sign up for that on purpose! ;)

The battery change wasn't that bad.
I spent about an hour doing it, and it was kinda relaxing (as opposed to nail-biting)
If you've changed out your screen, this is really just more of the same.
Eight (?) more little screws, several more fiddly connectors, and some wiggling to get things seated properly.
I did a youtube search with "3gs battery", and watched a dozen videos.
I'll recommend specific ones if you're about to dive in. :)

If you aren't careful what you're buying on Amazon, you could get the same (?) product from any of half-a-dozen vendors.
Are they identical? Not likely, based on reviews.
So far I haven't seen any rejection of this non-standard battery by the phone.

I went with this one from Eforcity @ $3.89 + 2.98 shipping.
It has tools similar to the ones shown (two screwdrivers, plastic pry tool), and that's all I used.
Ordered Monday, and it arrived Friday, even in the midst of holiday mail.

I'm still in the middle of the first discharge cycle, so I really can't say much about the battery life.
I have about eight documented runs on the old battery, so give me a week to collect some data on this one.

Attachments

• 3gsBatt1600mah.51UjrVnEDBL.jpg
    3gsBatt1600mah.51UjrVnEDBL.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 118
Oh, a tethered jailbreak is a foolish thing to have.
I didn't like the concept going in.
But once I discovered what'd been done to this phone, that was my only option.
Never sign up for that on purpose! ;)

The battery change wasn't that bad.
I spent about an hour doing it, and it was kinda relaxing (as opposed to nail-biting)
If you've changed out your screen, this is really just more of the same.
Eight (?) more little screws, several more fiddly connectors, and some wiggling to get things seated properly.
I did a youtube search with "3gs battery", and watched a dozen videos.
I'll recommend specific ones if you're about to dive in. :)

If you aren't careful what you're buying on Amazon, you could get the same (?) product from any of half-a-dozen vendors.
Are they identical? Not likely, based on reviews.
So far I haven't seen any rejection of this non-standard battery by the phone.

I went with this one from Eforcity @ $3.89 + 2.98 shipping.
It has tools similar to the ones shown (two screwdrivers, plastic pry tool), and that's all I used.
Ordered Monday, and it arrived Friday, even in the midst of holiday mail.

I'm still in the middle of the first discharge cycle, so I really can't say much about the battery life.
I have about eight documented runs on the old battery, so give me a week to collect some data on this one.

Cool!

The price is insanely low. As for me trying it, um, :eek:

I did try to replace the screen in my first iPhone but it never worked so that was a huge FAIL...
Plus I broke the black plastic antenna cover on the back. I had no clue what I was doing. Even after finding a website that showed how.

So far the battery hasn't caused me any serious grief so I think I'll leave well enough alone for now. But I'm book marking your link just in case.

:)

You guys realize that if you had an Android phone you'd just pop the cover off and replace the battery...LOL....yet ANOTHER Apple FAIL. LOL

The FAIL boat is listing heavily right now...:D

Put a new battery in my RAZR the same day.
Just drop it in and snap on the back cover.
if you had an Android phone you'd just pop the cover off and replace the battery
Yea, that's right.
And maybe they learned something.

In the iPhone4, they changed the design to have a removable back.
Battery replacement is now not much worse than in a watch -
- not exactly end-user-friendly
- but a trivial for anyone who's done one before.

Of course, the trade off is, replacing the LCD is now 10 times as hard.
Two dozen screws of many kinds.
One step forward; one step back, eh? - ;)

You guys realize that if you had an Android phone you'd just pop the cover off and replace the battery...LOL....yet ANOTHER Apple FAIL. LOL

The FAIL boat is listing heavily right now...:D

You guys realize that if you had an iPhone you wouldn't be totally rooted with Carrier IQ so deeply that you can't shut it off or remove it? LOL!!

Yeah, we could trade shots back and forth all day to be sure.. :popcorn

I wouldn't be so quick to cry FAIL.. Android is the most easily and commonly infected phone with malware and other naughty things you know..
Just sayin... ;)

Peace and Merry Christmas to all... :hippie:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts