Ready to switch back to Dish! (left in 2004) Couple of questions.

sf_user

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Hi,

After leaving Dish in 2004 for cable (Time Warner) when I moved to Austin, Texas, I'm ready to switch back!

I'm going to take advantage of the AT100+DishHD for $34.99 for 10 months promotion. I'll be connecting to 1 HDTV.

Here are my questions:
1. I'm going to get the DVR, will I be getting the 622 by default or do I need to request it?

2. Do I need to concern myself with the specific satellite dish or other non-receiver hardware that is going to be installed? (My house has never had satellite service.)

3. Since HD Locals are not available, will the installer make sure I can receive OTA HD Locals?

4. If I do not sign up for the 18-month commitment, all I am forgoing is a $49.99 credit to my first bill (to offset the $49.99 activation fee)? I'm thinking it's worth $50 to not be tied up for 18 months.

Finally, if I can save money by using ClubDish, I'm happy to use someones code as I currently don't know any DISH subscribers.

THANKS!

Who to sign up with?

I forgot a question!

Who should I use to sign up for service with? I've been browsing around and it seems like all the resellers offer the same deals. I was hoping to find an even better than the 10-month $20 rebate (or in addition to) offer for switching from cable...

Thanks!

1. Only Dish HD DVR is the 622 (there are two others, but they can no longer be activated for HD package.
2. Depends where you are located, others who live in your area can help you on that if you will to post your area.
3 Depends on your installer, you may want to find reliable installer in your area for ota, also this is in addition to the Dish install so expect to pay installer for this.
4. My 18 months are almost up, so I wont comment on this.
Additional. Consisder #3, I'd try locally.
Look for IM for ClubDish

Oak Hill in south Austin

Thanks for the info!

I'm in Austin, Texas. Specifically the Oak Hill neighborhood in south Austin.

If anyone can recommend a reliable installer here, I'd greatly appreciate it as I don't have an OTA HD antenna and would like the convenience of having one installed and configured to work with my VP622 at the time the satellite service is installed.

Thanks!

If it helps, my son lives in Oak Hill and he's getting the ATSC OTA stations with an indoor antenna so you might not need the expense of an outside one. I live a bit farther down the road (US290 by Nutty Brown rd) and have a Square Shooter in the attic and get all the Austin ATSC stations, no problem, but usually use use the DirecTV local HD feed to use less space on the DVR since it's MPEG4.

Thanks for the info!

I'm about 2 miles up 71 from the "Y" ...Covered Bridge is the neighborhood...

Good to know I can pull in the OTA HD stations here. I'll google "square shooter" and see what I come up with.

My single HDTV is actually a projector in my home theater room, so I'd like to avoid having a visible antenna in the room...however the attic is directly above my home theater so that might make things easy.

ps- can you recommend a local installer for DISH? i'd greatly appreciate it! thanks!

I would call the Dishstore on Monday, not only you get the Free activation like Club Dish, but also a rebate on top of it :)

Better than Club Dish Promotional DetailsOver $

thanks for the link! that sounds like a great promotion. however at the very bottom is said it is only for people who have never had dish before... :(
however, i'm pretty certain my wife, who kept her maiden name, has never had dish service before! :)

Winegard

Here's what got, Winegard SS-2000 SquareShooter High-Band VHF/UHF Amplified Digital/Analog/HDTV Antenna System (SS-2000) | Winegard [SS-2000] square shooter SS1000 Winegard Square SQS S1000 SS2000 S2000 amplified squareshooter. I got the amplified model since I have the signal split more times then I can count.

When we moved here from the Chicago area we looked at Covered Bridge but wife liked Belterra, wish we were closer to town, tired of the drive just to go to the grocery store.

Hi,

Thanks for the link! Since the price difference is only $3, is there any reason *not* to get the SS-2000 over the SS-1000? I won't be splitting the signal much, if at all.

Also, it seems like part of the cost is the fact this antenna has a nice design... if I don't care how ugly the antenna is (since I'd like to put it into my attic), do you have a recommendation? I'm hoping for something with equal/better performance but cheaper.

IIRC, most all Austin OTA HD stations are UHF...

Thanks.

Frankly, you could probably just put an inside antenna in the attaic and pick everything upwith no problems.

I live in Leander, tx, and I pick up all the locals with a $22 phillips HD UHF antenna that I bought a walmart. I did not even bother getting a compass out. I just pointed the antenna in the direction of Austin and bada bing.....I have HD! To bad you only get HD shows during prime time hours.

I'm in Round Rock and picking up all the Austin locals with 3 silversensors.

(Inside antennas).

This is with 2 622's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)