Ready to switch from cable, have some questions...

linebackeru

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
I am ready to switch back to satellite after 2 years with cable. I had to switch back while I was caring for my grandfather and living at his home, but can't dump Comcast quick enough (well, as soon as my center Ice subscription ends). Anyhow, I have been bouncing back and forth between DISH and Direct, but am now leaning towards Dish. I did have the following questions though.

I see the new VIP922 box discuussed on here, but the DISH rep told me they will not be out until the fall. The 922 ispretty much my deciding factor in choosing Dish over direct, but I do not want to wait until fall and pay another upgrade fee 2 months after I sign up again. What's the trick to getting one of these boxes now? Also, I am very interested in the HD channels. I see Dish is supposed to be adding FX and several more by month's end, will that essentially bring them even up with Direct on the major nationals? Also, I am a center ice subscriber, does Dish make alot of games available in HD through center ice...comparable amount to Direct??

Questions on the 922 for anyone who has one as well. With the sling technology, can I hook up a slingcatcher to another TV in my home or one my deck and have full use of my box on it?? Also, how many programs can you record while still watching something live?? Does it just bounce a recording to another TV or can you record and watch something on the same tuner??

Thanks for any help in advance

No one has a 922 as they have not been released. June has been mentioned, but history would indicate Fall.

The 922 is pretty sexy, but don't write off the 722k. Direct has nothing that compares in capabilities to the 722K. I can't speak for the Dish Center Ice package.

The 922 is pretty sexy, but don't write off the 722k. Direct has nothing that compares in capabilities to the 722K. I can't speak for the Dish Center Ice package.

I am mainly interested in the 922 for the sling so I can use a couple other TV's in the house when I workout or cookout instead of adding another box or mirroring them and running more cable through the house.

I have 2 HD's and would be getting a 722 also. No need for 2 boxes with sling on them. The 722 will be fine for my other TV.

Wow u know what u want. Chances of getting a 922 now when its in beta is not going to happen, Unless you marry Charlies druthers...

Current “Get Happy Flyer's/Booklets “ have the 922 listed on the back in small print as a $250 lease upgrade fee for the first 922. But it is currently not listed on any of the DHA/DHA24 agreements so it will not be available till after 7-31-09 when the current promotion's and dha contract changes.

If you cant wait that long I would suggest getting a 722k with the module for OTA and then buy a Sling box pro HD $299-180 (Flee bay). With this option you get dish now and you have sling forever so if you ever jump ship you wont have to shipp the sling pro back... For HD net streaming 1.5mbs is the lowest it will work for INTERNET usage abroad. In home network you will be just fine using the catcher. It would also be safe to assume that the 922 will require 1.5mbs up also for HD INTERNET usage.

Wow u know what u want. Chances of getting a 922 now when its in beta is not going to happen, Unless you marry Charlies druthers...

Current “Get Happy Flyer's/Booklets “ have the 922 listed on the back in small print as a $250 lease upgrade fee for the first 922. But it is currently not listed on any of the DHA/DHA24 agreements so it will not be available till after 7-31-09 when the current promotion's and dha contract changes.

If you cant wait that long I would suggest getting a 722k with the module for OTA and then buy a Sling box pro HD $299-180 (Flee bay). With this option you get dish now and you have sling forever so if you ever jump ship you wont have to shipp the sling pro back... For HD net streaming 1.5mbs is the lowest it will work for INTERNET usage abroad. In home network you will be just fine using the catcher. It would also be safe to assume that the 922 will require 1.5mbs up also for HD INTERNET usage.

Is he single, LOL??

I could do that, but the 922 looks like it has some other cool features as well. I may just bite the bullet and upgrade later. I would mainly be using the sling around the house between a couple extra TV's

Also, one more question. When you upgrade with Dish, do they tie you in for another 2 years like Direct?? I was really leaning towards direct till I saw the policies on "buying" equipment and the loopholes they seem to attach to it.

Is he single, LOL??

I could do that, but the 922 looks like it has some other cool features as well. I may just bite the bullet and upgrade later. I would mainly be using the sling around the house between a couple extra TV's

Also, one more question. When you upgrade with Dish, do they tie you in for another 2 years like Direct?? I was really leaning towards direct till I saw the policies on "buying" equipment and the loopholes they seem to attach to it.

Hardware upgrades, unless you pay full price, extend your commitment.

Hardware upgrades, unless you pay full price, extend your commitment.

Ok, the lady I talked to said it would not. I am not so worried about it, just may make me wait until the 922 comes out as opposed to buying now....I don't want to pay for an upgrade fee to a second 722 now, then pay for another when the 922 comes out

Wouldn't I need to purchase a sling catcher on top of the sling box as well??

But it is currently not listed on any of the DHA/DHA24 agreements so it will not be available till after 7-31-09 when the current promotion's and dha contract changes.

Couldn't a new DHA contract be written up before 7-31-09? When the 922 becomes available just have the people sign a different contract that includes it. Is there some rule that the contract with the 7-31-09 date must be used by a person leasing a 922.

Ok, the lady I talked to said it would not. I am not so worried about it, just may make me wait until the 922 comes out as opposed to buying now....I don't want to pay for an upgrade fee to a second 722 now, then pay for another when the 922 comes out

Here are the standard terms for equipment upgrades direct from the Dish web site:

Terms and Conditions

Offers and pricing subject to change at any time and based on customer eligibility With DISH'n It Up you are required to maintain qualified basic programming for 24 months or a pro-rated cancel fee of $12.50 per month for each month remaining in the agreement period.
Limit of 2 receivers or 4 tuners per transaction. Limit 4 leased tuners per account. Maximum of one DISH'n It Up upgrade transaction per 12-month period. Monthly equipment rental fee of $7.00 for HD receivers will apply for each receiver activated beyond the first. Monthly DVR Service Fee of $5.98 applies for all DVR receivers. 2-TV receivers must be continuously connected to a land-based phone line to waive the $5.00 monthly TV Receiver Connection fee. If a new dish is necessary when upgrading to HD programming, standard professional installation may be required. Monthly subscription to DishHD programming is required for HD receivers or a monthly $5.00 HD Enabling fee applies. Please call for details.
For antenna upgrades, they run $59 to $99 without extending commitment but are usually free with an extended commitment or included if necessary with the hardware upgrade fee. If you are a good negotiator and a good customer you may be able to negotiate some of these fees away.

Be careful what CSRs you speak with tell you. They are usually less informed and have less experience than most members of the forum and most are located in Asia. It is often a good idea to do your contact with E* via online chat. You can then save the CSR Chat so you have evidence in case a billing dispute arises. It's saved me some bucks over time by having evidence when dealing with the Exec Office Resolution Department.

Go with Direct...honestly, after the whole April HD debacle, I cannot wait to get away from E*. I also see you like NHL CI, if you want more games in HD, you would want D* as well

Go with Direct...honestly, after the whole April HD debacle, I cannot wait to get away from E*. I also see you like NHL CI, if you want more games in HD, you would want D* as well

:wave :wave :wave

Considering NHL is pretty much over except for the playoffs (and he said he was waiting until his CI is over) it's amazing how you can predict who will have what HD wise a year from now as far as CI goes.
By the time June gets here (or whenever hockey is over) there is a good chance Dish will have more HD than Direct and Dish already has more premium HD channels than Direct does, so...

:wave :wave :wave

Considering NHL is pretty much over except for the playoffs (and he said he was waiting until his CI is over) it's amazing how you can predict who will have what HD wise a year from now as far as CI goes.
By the time June gets here (or whenever hockey is over) there is a good chance Dish will have more HD than Direct and Dish already has more premium HD channels than Direct does, so...
Because we all know Mr. Charlie has such plans, especially for sports

I am still unhappy about the April 1 HD debacle, but in fairness the Dish CI package is in some ways superior to the DirecTV version. You usually get both teams feeds if available, including the Canadian feeds which are usually superior to the FSN feeds. But if you're interested in NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB EI, DirecTV is your only choice.

As far as next year, pffft. Decide which service you like based on what channels are available now.

I am still unhappy about the April 1 HD debacle, but in fairness the Dish CI package is in some ways superior to the DirecTV version. You usually get both teams feeds if available, including the Canadian feeds which are usually superior to the FSN feeds. But if you're interested in NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB EI, DirecTV is your only choice.

As far as next year, pffft. Decide which service you like based on what channels are available now.

Center Ice is only sports premium package I worry about. I get Steelers games locally, so I don't need the NFL ticket. I also like the idea of having the DVR in all my rooms with 2 DVR receivers/4tuners. I had dish before and loved it, but did not have an HD TV then.

Center Ice is only sports premium package I worry about. I get Steelers games locally, so I don't need the NFL ticket. I also like the idea of having the DVR in all my rooms with 2 DVR receivers/4tuners. I had dish before and loved it, but did not have an HD TV then.

Dish's hardware is superior to Direct. The HD channel count is relatively even (within 5) with Dish leading in premium channels. Dish has actually added HD over the last six month (anyone know how many national HD channels Direct has added?), and has on the books to add more than Direct has announced adding in the remainder of 2008.

Dish's hardware is superior to Direct.
D*s HD hardware foundation is nearly 5 years old. Which means there is only so much software implementations can achieve. I chuckle when some one talks about how slow and clunky their DVRs are, but then feel confident the next software issue will fix it. Now, with the Direct Tivo delayed till 2010, they are becoming more Jurassic, hardware wise. Even a Uverse DVR is "capable" of recording four programs at a time.

With the Dish HD DVR, how many programs can you record and watch at a time?? I know before I had to bounce one to another TV if I wanted to watch live TV. Is that still the case or can I DVR something on my tuner while watching another program?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts