Ready to switch from Directv to Dish right now

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jimmanhattan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Manhattan, IL
I will be a new customer, coming from Directv and will place a order on 4/13 in the AM.
I have 5 tvs, 4 hd 1 sd. The sd is very seldom watched, so am going to go with 2 hopper/ 3 joey setup.
1 RG6 cable is run at each tv location and i have ethernet access at the main tv location only.
1 hopper will be installed at the main hdtv, 1 hopper in the master bedroom hdtv, 1 joey each in bedrooms 2 & 3 hdtvs and 3rd joey at the basement sd tv.

Just wondering what else the installer should have with him to make this setup work correctly without any hiccups. By knowing this information before ordering i can then verify it
with the CSR to make sure the installer has it on his work order.
Is the HIC unit included as part of the hopper system?
Will the installer use a MOCA tap with the HIC? I read something about that somewhere.
Will the installer use a duo node?
Is there anything else i should expect to see him installing. Switches, splitters ect?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated

As a 10yr customer who was NEVER late with a payment Directv wants a fortune to upgrade my current setup (1 HR-22 and 4 basic sd boxes) to whole home hd.
I saw the tv ad for the hopper and thought it looked like a good system.
Then i found this forum and after reading through the threads you guys sold me on it :)

your reading is on par.

When tech pre calls or shows up ask him/her.

Do you have 3 joey and 2 hopper
do you have the duo node
Do you have the hic.

he will install a Dish for your location switch should not be used as every thing is on the dish & duo , Usage of a 44 switch or 33 switch will be pointless and a waste of his time.
He will also install a spilliter along with every thing above.

His work should be nice and neat and should be running new cables down to your junction point. He can remove your old KA/Ku and leave the foot of the mast and supports on the roof (Leak if removed and not repaired) He will not remove your old dish and install his on the same pipe if he/she dose stop them and ask to have a new mast installed. He/she should be installing on an overhang with the 2 center holes of the dish pre drilled into the roof truss and for outer also pre drilled prior to installing the mastic/ Patch pads . (Installing over dwelling is a last option but might be need due to LOS)

Last but not least dont stand on top of them the whole time if you want to watch do it from far. Nothing worse for a tech trying to give you the best service possible when you ask silly questions every second.
(Ex. Today installing DTV for a customer . "Will that cable work for cable tv?" Me "Yes" "Will that cable work for an antena? " Me sigh "Yes" "Will that cable work for satellite " Me "I have no idea today is my first day")

Last edited:
I have my duo node installed inside for ease of swapping cables. Might want to consider that. Sounds like you are on top of it. I have the same setup you are contemplating. I did not opt for the HIC which I am regreting. Seems to be the best option for full connectivity right now. Other than that it seems to work well other than some minor issues that others are experiencing.

Ok, thanks for the info and tips guys. Much appreciated.
I will be placing a order today.
Would it be better to deal with a local retailer or just place the order directly with Dish?

I would place it with a DIRT member here as first choice. Most likely not to have any mixups. (DIRT members work for Dish network but can take care of your account here, and they are FAR more trained than the phone CSR's)

1 hopper in the master bedroom hdtv
You might consider putting a Joey in the master bedroom since the Hopper reboots every night. Hopper isn't as bad as previous receivers but there's still a brief high fan speed condition during boot. Joeys have no moving parts so no noise.

You might consider putting a Joey in the master bedroom since the Hopper reboots every night. Hopper isn't as bad as previous receivers but there's still a brief high fan speed condition during boot. Joeys have no moving parts so no noise.

Oh, i didn't know the hopper did that. Is it loud?
If so i might have to consider putting the hopper on the basement tv and a joey in the master bedroom.

If so i might have to consider putting the hopper on the basement tv and a joey in the master bedroom.
Except for boot, I don't really hear the Hopper in my living room but you might in the bedroom.

I don't have a Joey but as I understand it, the only thing Joey doesn't do that Hopper does is PIP. The U/I is the same and you have operationally the same functionality except for PIP. There is an advantage to Joey over Hopper (for now at least): you can get to content stored on either Hopper.

I really don't hear our hopper but with my 2 hopper/ 1 Joey set up we have the Joey in the master bedroom, very small compact and no noise at all which is great for a bedroom

I see that you are possibly coming from Direct you wil love the speed and the user interface!

I will be a new customer, coming from Directv and will place a order on 4/13 in the AM.
I have 5 tvs, 4 hd 1 sd. The sd is very seldom watched, so am going to go with 2 hopper/ 3 joey setup.
1 RG6 cable is run at each tv location and i have ethernet access at the main tv location only.
1 hopper will be installed at the main hdtv, 1 hopper in the master bedroom hdtv, 1 joey each in bedrooms 2 & 3 hdtvs and 3rd joey at the basement sd tv.

Just wondering what else the installer should have with him to make this setup work correctly without any hiccups. By knowing this information before ordering i can then verify it
with the CSR to make sure the installer has it on his work order.
Is the HIC unit included as part of the hopper system?
Will the installer use a MOCA tap with the HIC? I read something about that somewhere.
Will the installer use a duo node?
Is there anything else i should expect to see him installing. Switches, splitters ect?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated

As a 10yr customer who was NEVER late with a payment Directv wants a fortune to upgrade my current setup (1 HR-22 and 4 basic sd boxes) to whole home hd.
I saw the tv ad for the hopper and thought it looked like a good system.
Then i found this forum and after reading through the threads you guys sold me on it :)

I wanted to welcome you to Dish. If you need anything at all, let us know and we will be happy to help you. We work as a team inside the company here and will always work to make sure your needs are met as best we are able. As a reminder, Channels 101-103 contain great information on movie and free previews, as well as an onscreen tutorial.

I have a hopper in the bedroom and I haven't noticed any noise at all from it. Of course my computer is always on so the fan in it might drown out some of the hopper noise. Still I cant believe it would be that loud. One other thing besides Pip is the hopper supports bluetooth so you can use wireless headsets to listen at night if you choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)