Real Cost of Directv Stream in CT

Smolenski7

Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Connecticut
I find it hard to believe that DTV cannot tell me the cost of their service including taxes. Can anyone tell me what they are really paying for the Streaming service? I'm thinking about getting the Choice package only, no add on's or boxes. I live in CT, but I'm sure your state is similar to mine.

I find it hard to believe that DTV cannot tell me the cost of their service including taxes. Can anyone tell me what they are really paying for the Streaming service? I'm thinking about getting the Choice package only, no add on's or boxes. I live in CT, but I'm sure your state is similar to mine.
Every states taxes are different. I would assume somewhere between 5-10%

Every states taxes are different. I would assume somewhere between 5-10%
Not all are the same either, some are just State Taxes, some they double dip.

Here in Florida, 7% to the state, 7% to the county, so 14%, same for streaming or Traditional Providers.

Found out when my Annual HBOMAX was billed to my Credit Card.

I also found out that if you pay for your service with Gift Cards ( for example, I have You Tube TV, so I get Google Play Cards), no tax then.

Reactions: John2021
Go to this website, plug in your zip code and you'll see your total local sales tax rate (state + county + city + district).

Apply that percentage to the cost of whichever DTV Stream package you want to see how much sales tax you'll pay:

Entertainment: $69.99/mo
Choice: $89.99/mo
Ultimate: $104.99/mo
Premier: $149.99/mo

Note that all packages are currently on sale at $20 off for the first two months before going up to the regular prices above.

Go to this website, plug in your zip code and you'll see your total local sales tax rate (state + county + city + district).

Apply that percentage to the cost of whichever DTV Stream package you want to see how much sales tax you'll pay:

Entertainment: $69.99/mo
Choice: $89.99/mo
Ultimate: $104.99/mo
Premier: $149.99/mo

Note that all packages are currently on sale at $20 off for the first two months before going up to the regular prices above.
That is just for Sales Tax, I do not know if his state has a different tax, in Florida we get charged the Florida Communications Services Tax.
Total CST Rate
4.92%​
State CST rate
+0.15%​
Gross receipts additional tax rate
+2.37%​
Gross receipts tax rate
+6.02%​
Local CST Rates (OSCEOLA COUNTY)-I looked it up
Total
Total CST rate is 13.46% for me

Satellite TV gets charged less-
  • Direct-to-home satellite service is taxed at a state rate of 9.07% plus 2.37% gross receipts tax for a total of 11.44%. There is no local tax and no residential exemption.
Again, paying with Gift Cards ( which I buy with my Credit Card Points) lets me avoid the tax, so no tax on YTTV, Netflix, Hulu ( with Disney and ESPN) and Paramount+( with Showtime).

Tax on AMC+, Peacock and HBO since no gift cards available for those services.

That is just for Sales Tax, I do not know if his state has a different tax, in Florida we get charged the Florida Communications Services Tax.
Total CST Rate
4.92%​
State CST rate
+0.15%​
Gross receipts additional tax rate
+2.37%​
Gross receipts tax rate
+6.02%​
Local CST Rates (OSCEOLA COUNTY)-I looked it up
Total
Total CST rate is 13.46% for me

Satellite TV gets charged less-
  • Direct-to-home satellite service is taxed at a state rate of 9.07% plus 2.37% gross receipts tax for a total of 11.44%. There is no local tax and no residential exemption.
Again, paying with Gift Cards ( which I buy with my Credit Card Points) lets me avoid the tax, so no tax on YTTV, Netflix, Hulu ( with Disney and ESPN) and Paramount+( with Showtime).

Tax on AMC+, Peacock and HBO since no gift cards available for those services.

Hmm. Looks like FL may be the only state that has such a tax in lieu of sales tax. Weird that they're doing that. But then, hey, it's Florida.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)