Real cost to upgrade to DirecTV HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yellowstar6

Original poster
May 20, 2009
CA
I currently have "Total Choice Plus” with two SD receivers. I want to upgrade to HD by replacing my two SD receivers with two HD receivers and keeping “Total Choice Plus".

In an email I ask Directv what my total cost would be to upgrade. They told me that my monthly bill will go from 66.49 to 76.49., because of the additional 10.00 for HD access. I was ok with that.

However, when I called to order the upgrade the Rep. said I would be charged a one time payment of $20 something dollars plus shipping & handling for my HD receiver. Also, $99.00 plus Shipping & handling for the second HD receiver. That was never mentioned in the email.

I haven't upgraded yet, because I wanted to know if this was the best way to get HD from DirecTV, or is buying your own HD receivers a better option?

Or is canceling my DirecTV subscription and then ordering HD as a new customer?

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sounds like what they offered is about right. How long have you ben a sub? If you have a long history you might be able to get HD access free for 24 months. If you cancel you will have to send your equipment back and if you reorder you will have to pay for new stuff, they won't give you the "new customer" deal. I would recommend that you get one HD DVR and one HD receiver.

I am in the exact same boat. Right now I'm leaning towards canceling and signing up with Dish Network. Their current offer is free HD receivers + free HD for the life of the account.

I've liked DirecTV ok. But there is zero loyalty bonus.

I currently have "Total Choice Plus” with two SD receivers. I want to upgrade to HD by replacing my two SD receivers with two HD receivers and keeping “Total Choice Plus".

In an email I ask Directv what my total cost would be to upgrade. They told me that my monthly bill will go from 66.49 to 76.49., because of the additional 10.00 for HD access. I was ok with that.

However, when I called to order the upgrade the Rep. said I would be charged a one time payment of $20 something dollars plus shipping & handling for my HD receiver. Also, $99.00 plus Shipping & handling for the second HD receiver. That was never mentioned in the email.

I haven't upgraded yet, because I wanted to know if this was the best way to get HD from DirecTV, or is buying your own HD receivers a better option?

Or is canceling my DirecTV subscription and then ordering HD as a new customer?

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I gotta ask, wouldn't the upgrade to ask for be the Whole Home DVR with Internet Connection Kit?

Some have asked for CSR verification and found they were offered a free HD-DVR upgrade in the offer. The free DVR offer is supposed to be in account info somewhere but I didn't check mine before I accepted the freebie. So I can't say if the offer ever existed on my account or where to look to find it.

Talked to them tonite and explained what Dish Network was offering. They gave me the 2 receivers for free and only had to pay $19.95 S&H. Also managed to get the HD ($10/mo) waived for 12mo. ...it's not quite as good as Dish--but given 1) the problems I've read about with some Dish users + 2) the better sports programming, this is a win imo. My commitment was about to expire soon, so maybe that gave me more bargaining power.

Talked to them tonite and explained what Dish Network was offering. They gave me the 2 receivers for free and only had to pay $19.95 S&H. Also managed to get the HD ($10/mo) waived for 12mo. ...it's not quite as good as Dish--but given 1) the problems I've read about with some Dish users + 2) the better sports programming, this is a win imo. My commitment was about to expire soon, so maybe that gave me more bargaining power.

No, that was just a "loyalty bonus". I just got a free HD receiver last week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)