Real news channel

There are plenty of free options for the cost conscience..but I am sure unless you are under 30 you would not be familiar with them..Flex works fine for the senior citizen crowd but it really is too little too late

Lol - I am well past 30 and I bet I had Kodi before almost anyone here (and when it was SPMC) - because I signed up for developmental and evaluation editions. Kodi has alot, but streams come and go, managing the changes beyond the simple updates - like when you have to get a whole new Repository is not for everyone. As time goes on it may become more automated because it already is over the first editions. Also sometimes the streams are very good, others have buffering problems that has nothing to do with how good or fast your internet is. You throw out there are "free options" but if it was that simple and easy everyone would just do it. It isn't and nothing like coming home from work and turning on the TV and having the DVR all set up to record or for you to play back your shows. I have extensive knowledge of how to set up Kodi and I get frustrated with it sometimes just fooling around with it or to watch something like EuroNews - an example of a stream that does not stay constant and you have to find it.

Lol - I am well past 30 and I bet I had Kodi before almost anyone here (and when it was SPMC) - because I signed up for developmental and evaluation editions. Kodi has alot, but streams come and go, managing the changes beyond the simple updates - like when you have to get a whole new Repository is not for everyone. As time goes on it may become more automated because it already is over the first editions. Also sometimes the streams are very good, others have buffering problems that has nothing to do with how good or fast your internet is. You throw out there are "free options" but if it was that simple and easy everyone would just do it. It isn't and nothing like coming home from work and turning on the TV and having the DVR all set up to record or for you to play back your shows. I have extensive knowledge of how to set up Kodi and I get frustrated with it sometimes just fooling around with it or to watch something like EuroNews - an example of a stream that does not stay constant and you have to find it.
the under 30 crowd just doesn't watch tv like we do..this whole flex pack will be a major bust..a last gasp of a dying industry..

the under 30 crowd just doesn't watch tv like we do..this whole flex pack will be a major bust..a last gasp of a dying industry..
Typical negative Juan spin. The under 30, cost-conscious demo is prime for Flex.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Typical negative Juan spin. The under 30, cost-conscious demo is prime for Flex.
I am not the company losing hundreds of thousands of customers..I just think the "Flex Pack" makes dish look like a shady used car dealer

I am not the company losing hundreds of thousands of customers..I just think the "Flex Pack" makes dish look like a shady used car dealer
The Flex pack is the most pro-active move Dish has made in a long time, and no doubt they have taken the present market into consideration. Price-wise, they are undercutting all completion for the most bang for the buck, not to mention better equipment. So my final comment to you is....:facepalm

Didn't the flex pack come out after Q2? Wouldn't that mean they are reevaluating how to get things done? Juan, that was a terrible reasoning and you speak poorly on this topic. Are you here to just complain? That's miserable.

Can't we all just get along :) LOL. Seriously, if the Flex Pack works for you, great, get it. If you don't like it, or it doesn't work for you, don't get it, keep what you have or go to whatever provider has what you want. Flex Pack gives another choice, which is a good thing. Dish is forcing no one to go to the Flex Pack, it is just another option.

I think it makes them look like a forward thinking video provider. Verizon has something similar, it is now one of their top packages. It appears that the "skinny" package is en vogue right now, so good for Dish, and good for the subscribers that want it. You'll see AT&T-DirecTV, Charter, and Comcast follow.

I think it makes them look like a forward thinking video provider. Verizon has something similar, it is now one of their top packages. It appears that the "skinny" package is en vogue right now, so good for Dish, and good for the subscribers that want it. You'll see AT&T-DirecTV, Charter, and Comcast follow.
That is exactly what I posted weeks ago about Verizon's most popular programming pack. This Flex pack system is based on the very popular skinny bundle that Verizon pioneered back in the spring of 2015. Works for them and it can work for DISH too. Add or take away packs to your heart's content and save money over the regular programming packs. IF you hate sports and your kids are grown up , you don't have to pay for those packs. Or if you hate women's programming like OWN , then no heartland pack is needed. The only thing I can see that I would change, is to add the rest of the channels that aren't in the packs , like MTV and BBC America. Till then, I will just buy the show seasons of the shows on those channels and watch them on Amazon Prime.

Yes but Verizon doesn't offer exclusive channels in its skinny packages....BBCWN is part of a regular package..that's the real issue

Reactions: jrbdmb
That is exactly what I posted weeks ago about Verizon's most popular programming pack. This Flex pack system is based on the very popular skinny bundle that Verizon pioneered back in the spring of 2015. Works for them and it can work for DISH too. Add or take away packs to your heart's content and save money over the regular programming packs. IF you hate sports and your kids are grown up , you don't have to pay for those packs. Or if you hate women's programming like OWN , then no heartland pack is needed. The only thing I can see that I would change, is to add the rest of the channels that aren't in the packs , like MTV and BBC America. Till then, I will just buy the show seasons of the shows on those channels and watch them on Amazon Prime.

Well I agree Fios started the concept but IMO I don't think you would be happy with it or at least as happy as how DISH did it they are far advanced.

$55 and two choices
"The full lineup for the Sports & More option includes the broadcast networks, whatever regional sports station(s) FiOs carries in your area, and: AccuWeather, AMC, ASPiRE, AWE, Big Ten 1, Big Ten 2, Big Ten Network, Bloomberg TV, Blue Highways TV, Cartoon Network, CBS Sports Network, CCTV News, CNBC, CNBC World, CNN, Comedy Central, C-SPAN, C-SPAN 2, C-SPAN 3, Daystar, Disney Channel, ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, EVINE Live, Family Net, Food Network, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, FX, FXX, GSN, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HGTV, HSN, Longhorn Network (TX only), Liquidation Channel, Mnet, MTV, Music Choice, NBCSN, NFL Network, Nick Jr., Nick Toons, Nickelodeon, POP, QVC, QVC Plus, RLTV, Rocks TV, SEC Network (TX and FL only), Syfy, TBS, TeenNick, TNT, truTV, USA, Velocity, and VH1

Custom TV Essentials adds on a bunch of big-name basic TV favorites (Discovery Channel, Lifetime, History, Bravo, Fox News) to what had been the core channels in the current Custom TV plan.

So in addition to the local broadcast TV networks, this package includes: A&E, ABC Family, AccuWeather, AMC, American Heroes Channel, Animal Planet, ASPIRE, BET, Bloomberg TV, Blue Highways TV, Bravo, CCTV News, Centric, CMT, CNBC World, CNN, CNN HLN, Comedy Central, C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, C-SPAN3, Daystar, Discovery Channel, Discovery Family Channel, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, Esquire Network, EVINE Live, Family Net, Food Network, Fox Business Network, Fox News, FX, FXM, FXX, GSN, Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HGTV, History, HSN, IFC, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, Liquidation Channel, LMN, Mnet, MSNBC, MTV, MTV2, Music Choice, National Geographic, National Geo Wild, Nick Jr., Nick Toons, Nickelodeon, One America News, Oxygen, POP, QVC, QVC Plus, RLTV, Rocks TV, Spike, Sprout, TeenNick, TLC, Travel Channel, Turner Classic Movies, TV Land, UP, USA, Velocity, VH1, VH1 Classic, and We TV

Both of these packages go for the same $55/month rate."

No choice on locals, no deciding if you do or don't want ESPN or other sports because they are not part of any add on to the Essentials package, and if you get the Sports and More package there is no way to get the missing cable channels.
I think the harder negotiations DISH does resulted in more flexibility.

Well I agree Fios started the concept but IMO I don't think you would be happy with it or at least as happy as how DISH did it they are far advanced.

$55 and two choices
"The full lineup for the Sports & More option includes the broadcast networks, whatever regional sports station(s) FiOs carries in your area, and: AccuWeather, AMC, ASPiRE, AWE, Big Ten 1, Big Ten 2, Big Ten Network, Bloomberg TV, Blue Highways TV, Cartoon Network, CBS Sports Network, CCTV News, CNBC, CNBC World, CNN, Comedy Central, C-SPAN, C-SPAN 2, C-SPAN 3, Daystar, Disney Channel, ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, EVINE Live, Family Net, Food Network, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, FX, FXX, GSN, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HGTV, HSN, Longhorn Network (TX only), Liquidation Channel, Mnet, MTV, Music Choice, NBCSN, NFL Network, Nick Jr., Nick Toons, Nickelodeon, POP, QVC, QVC Plus, RLTV, Rocks TV, SEC Network (TX and FL only), Syfy, TBS, TeenNick, TNT, truTV, USA, Velocity, and VH1

Custom TV Essentials adds on a bunch of big-name basic TV favorites (Discovery Channel, Lifetime, History, Bravo, Fox News) to what had been the core channels in the current Custom TV plan.

So in addition to the local broadcast TV networks, this package includes: A&E, ABC Family, AccuWeather, AMC, American Heroes Channel, Animal Planet, ASPIRE, BET, Bloomberg TV, Blue Highways TV, Bravo, CCTV News, Centric, CMT, CNBC World, CNN, CNN HLN, Comedy Central, C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, C-SPAN3, Daystar, Discovery Channel, Discovery Family Channel, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, Esquire Network, EVINE Live, Family Net, Food Network, Fox Business Network, Fox News, FX, FXM, FXX, GSN, Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HGTV, History, HSN, IFC, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, Liquidation Channel, LMN, Mnet, MSNBC, MTV, MTV2, Music Choice, National Geographic, National Geo Wild, Nick Jr., Nick Toons, Nickelodeon, One America News, Oxygen, POP, QVC, QVC Plus, RLTV, Rocks TV, Spike, Sprout, TeenNick, TLC, Travel Channel, Turner Classic Movies, TV Land, UP, USA, Velocity, VH1, VH1 Classic, and We TV

No choice on locals, no deciding if you do or don't want ESPN or other sports because they are not part of any add on to the Essentials package, and if you get the Sports and More package there is no way to get the missing cable channels.
Like I said , it was "BASED" on the skinny bundle that Verizon came out with in the spring of 2015. I agree that DISH took it even further with customization and options that they don't have. But the concept is similar.:oldsmile2

Reactions: Tampa8
Yes but Verizon doesn't offer exclusive channels in its skinny packages....BBCWN is part of a regular package..that's the real issue
I imagine that DISH will eventually allow these channels to become part of the top 250 or even lower packs if they want to. It is brand new and based on the contract negotiated with the channels , is whether they will add it to other packs. I think that within 6 months to a year , they might get around to adding it to top programming packs along with the MTV suite of music video channels.

OF course, they might just be putting these exclusive channels in the Flex pack ,just to attract people to the new programming pack. They also might be trying to push more existing subs to this pack as well. It was created to help retain existing subs, attract cord cutters & cord nevers, as well as attract new subs as well. So they can keep from spending all that money on retention credits and on new sub costs ,that will churn as soon as their 24 months contracts run out. The ala cart packs might be the entire direction that DISH wants to move to as a programming system. Based on how well it is received by new and existing subs , is whether they might move in that direction or move back to bundle packs with no deviation.

Charlie Ergen has said for years, he wants to be able to sell you any channel you want via ala cart ,but the channel provider companies are standing in the way of it with their forced bundles. The Flex pack and add on packs are the first step in the direction of ala cart. I hope it is successful and will transition us to full on, true ala cart.

$55 and two choices

When verizon started it, it was completely different and actually alot more like how dish does it now, I switched to dish from that old bundle. They way they have changed must've been based off of customer feedback or demands from the networks themselves. When it started and I had it i was given about 30 channels including locals and they had about 7 or so channel packs. They have changed it alot since I have switched to dish

The Flex Package is the first one anywhere by a traditional provider that has very close to all the cable channels commonly watched or expected with little sports, no locals, etc at a price of $29.99 if you do autopay with contract or $34.99 no contract.
As I proved in the other thread, the $29.99 autopay price is available without a contract. The catch is that there is no two-year price lock without the contract. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts