really appreciate some answers to Pansat questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharks

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Hey gang,

Am a newbie but a future enthusiast. Really getting into this. Set up a system recently with standard 76cm dishes and a Pansat 5000 Rcvr (similar to a 2500 with DVR capability). Have a few very basic questions:

1. RCVR: is there a way to erase all memorized channels? every time i scan for new channels, i get all the old ones in duplicate. cant find a way to erase all channels or even blocks of channels (only single channels manually). any easy remedies?

2. In search of T5: I have been able to find several birds but the one that i am really trying to find Intelsat Americas 5 (previously known as T5) continues to elude me. i have scanned the azimuth and elevations +/- 30 degrees in each direction and cant seem to find it. I also noticed that the Pansat 5000 has that satellite listed under its old name (T5). So i went into the transponder list and found that many tps dont match the lyngsat specs. so i added a few tps with the lyngsat specs to see if that was the issue but still cant find it. spent over 6 hrs yesterday searching for it .... help!

thanks much :confused:

Sharks said:
1. RCVR: is there a way to erase all memorized channels? every time i scan for new channels, i get all the old ones in duplicate. cant find a way to erase all channels or even blocks of channels (only single channels manually). any easy remedies?
other than deleting them one by one, the only option is a factory reset. But that resets EVERYTHING...seems weird that it puts them in duplicate. I have 2 Pansats (1500 & 3500) and it doesnt do that

2. In search of T5: I have been able to find several birds but the one that i am really trying to find Intelsat Americas 5 (previously known as T5) continues to elude me. i have scanned the azimuth and elevations +/- 30 degrees in each direction and cant seem to find it. I also noticed that the Pansat 5000 has that satellite listed under its old name (T5). So i went into the transponder list and found that many tps dont match the lyngsat specs. so i added a few tps with the lyngsat specs to see if that was the issue but still cant find it. spent over 6 hrs yesterday searching for it .... help!

thanks much :confused:
Are you able to get a satellite near it, like G11 or IA6?

Whats the general area, so we can verify the elevation and stuff :)

On my 2500 if you go into Channel Edit, then click Delete, and then push the volume up or down buttons, you will be able to delete all channels, channels from a particular satellite or one specific channel.
btw the default password on Pansat units is 0000.

Under the Installation menu you can go into tp edit and delete particular tp.s from a selected satellite.

WTguy said:
On my 2500 if you go into Channel Edit, then click Delete, and then push the volume up or down buttons, you will be able to delete all channels, channels from a particular satellite or one specific channel.
btw the default password on Pansat units is 0000.

dang...might have to try that on the 1500 or 3500 to see if that works

I just tried that on my 2700. Using the volume controls allows you to select/ highlight multiple channels, but no options for delete by satellite or delete all :-(

Iceberg, did it work? I am thinking of getting a 3500.

drhyrdo, are you using the "channel edit" mode? On the 2500 we get several options, one of which is "delete" and then you push the volume buttons to select the type of delete function you want (satellite, all or single channel). The tp delete function is a little trickier from the "installation" menu. You actually have to get to the list of the transponders for a satellite before you can start deleting (choose 'edit' then the tp list will come up, highlite a tp and then get a choice of edit or delete the tp). At least this is on the 2500.

Iceberg,

The Pansat 5000HC must have a different menu because the volume keys are left/right and channel keys are up/down. When in Channel edit mode, the left/right keys switch between a variety of pull down menu options (channel rename, channel delete, channel sort, favorite add, etc). The left/right (volume keys) on the 5000 do not allow for multiple selections. Nonetheless, I have tons of questions so let me try to fry the bigger fish first...back to T5 which is driving me absolutely crazy...

Q1. Is there anyway to positively ID a specific satellite? If I use a satellite signal meter, will any ID the satellite by name as opposed to just give me a signal reading? That may help me alot. There are lots of satellites in that general vicinity (am in Northern California around San Jose with a zip of 95148). All the tables tell me to look in the following direction:
Az(t):142.7 Az(m): 127.4 Elev:39.5 and Skew:-28.8. I need a surefire way of IDing that bird.

Q2: If I plan to hook up to another satellite and use a Diseqc (say I already have Sat 1 on Port 1 and keep Port 2 for T-5), I assume that I have to first unplug the Diseqc from the receiver cable, plug the receiver cable directly to the LNB on the satellite aimed for T-5 first, find it, and then go back onto the Diseqc. Is this true? If so, do I have to rescan for channels on Sat 1? or can i just plug the T-5 Sat LNB into the Diseqc Port 2, set up my receiver to look for T-5 on Diseqc switch 2 and check for signal?

Q3: I notice the TPs pre-programmed into my Pansat 5000 (though it is a recently released model) are different than those posted on the Lyngemark Frequency Table. Can someone with a Pansat confirm if this is true. If it is, do I first have to reprogram all the TPs? Can I just add or edit one TP and set receiver on it while searching for T-5?

Really would appreciate some insight ... am looking forward to diving deeper...

thx

Sharks said:
Q1. Is there anyway to positively ID a specific satellite? If I use a satellite signal meter, will any ID the satellite by name as opposed to just give me a signal reading? That may help me alot. There are lots of satellites in that general vicinity (am in Northern California around San Jose with a zip of 95148). All the tables tell me to look in the following direction:
Az(t):142.7 Az(m): 127.4 Elev:39.5 and Skew:-28.8. I need a surefire way of IDing that bird.
number are right...make sure you are on a strong transponder
12177 V 23000 is a strong one

Q2: If I plan to hook up to another satellite and use a Diseqc (say I already have Sat 1 on Port 1 and keep Port 2 for T-5), I assume that I have to first unplug the Diseqc from the receiver cable, plug the receiver cable directly to the LNB on the satellite aimed for T-5 first, find it, and then go back onto the Diseqc. Is this true? If so, do I have to rescan for channels on Sat 1? or can i just plug the T-5 Sat LNB into the Diseqc Port 2, set up my receiver to look for T-5 on Diseqc switch 2 and check for signal?
I would hook the cable directkly to the unit to fine tune. Once your done, then add the switch. make sure to power the unit off (switch off in back) when adding and removing switches so you dont burn it out.

Q3: I notice the TPs pre-programmed into my Pansat 5000 (though it is a recently released model) are different than those posted on the Lyngemark Frequency Table. Can someone with a Pansat confirm if this is true. If it is, do I first have to reprogram all the TPs? Can I just add or edit one TP and set receiver on it while searching for T-5?

Really would appreciate some insight ... am looking forward to diving deeper...

thx
I would edit one of the transponders or just add one. Once you get a signal, then you can do a blind scan :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts