REALLY basic DishPro question...

mnassour

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Folks...I've read through the FAQs here and there's still one basic thing about DishPro that I don't understand...

...is this finally the system that allows us to take one single lead from the LNB (I'm running a DishPro twin as of this evening on my 501) and run it through a switch/split it/whatever to allow a second receiver to be added?

thanks...and forgive the rookie question..it's been a while since I've done a DishNetwork install.

Mike Nassour / Austin

I knew that was the case with the legacy equipment, but thought that the newer DishPro stuff using the stacking technology might finally give us that option. Oh well...

DP+ allows a Dual Tuner receiver to utilize 1 wire to feed both tuners. The ONLY way to feed 2 receivers off of a DP setup with a splitter is if you are ONLY using 1 sat location and a DP Single or Dual LNB. A DPTwin will NOT work. In this case, you can split say the 119 to 2 different rooms(or more actually) using a high freq(at least to 2300Mhz) splitter. However, you CANNOT add any locations to this setup. This would probably only be worthwhile in like Alaska where they have LOS issues with the 110, or those who are only interetested in the basic programming, don't care about the 9 day guide on the 110, and don't care about their locals if it is not on the 110. Or, those who are only receiver the SkyAngel programming off the 61.5 and no locals from E*. There is no way to use a DP+ Seperator with 2 different receivers, because DP+ uses the first tuner to send the needed transponders for both tuners to the switch. The second tuner is DiscEq and power blocked.

~Legacy uses the lower band 900-1450, and sends odd/even signals on that band.
~Dishpro uses two frequency sets, 900-1450 and 1450-2150. Stacking the odd frequencies on one band and the even frequencies on another.
~DishProPlus combines both technologies. It uses both dishpro frequencies and places a legacy-type tuner on each frequency band.

A Dishpro plus seperator is nothing more than a higher frequency diplexor, which splits the frequencies at 1450 instead of 900 like normal satellite diplexors do.

*E has engineered the dual tuners to recognise a legacy signal from both the 900-1450 and 1450-2150 range. The problem is if you try to use a DPPSeperator to two single tuners, one will work and another won't. One will work using the 900-1450 legacy freq and the other will not recognise the 1450-2150 odd/even signal. Chances are you'll only get odd or even only if you tried it.

Now if Dish would engineer the new MPEG4 receivers to be able to recognise this higher frequency as a legacy type communication then we might be in buisness.

mnassour said:
Fol

...is this finally the system that allows us to take one single lead from the LNB (I'm running a DishPro twin as of this evening on my 501) and run it through a switch/split it/whatever to allow a second receiver to be added?

Mike Nassour / Austin
If you are running one cable from your LNB to a switch, then the SWITCH should allow for multi receivers just fine. Your mostly right, DP does allow this.

Mike, the DP LNBs need to be fed into a DP Plus switch. That can be the one integrated in the DPP Twin or the external DPP44. Then a single line to a DP Separator at, and only at, a dual-tuner receiver.

It won't work for a second receiver because, as Larry said, "The second tuner [output of the DP Separator] is DiscEq and power blocked." Tuner 1 sends the control commands to the DP Plus switch telling it which transponder from which satellite to put in the lower band and which to put in the upper band. This won't work with 2 receivers because the first one has no way to know what to direct to the second one.

So you're saying the one wire solution can work for a dual-tuner receiver, but NOT for two separate receivers, such as my 501 and my 2700 (which would, of course, have to have the DP adaptor). OK, I think I'm straight now.

It looks like it's just time to dig up the yard and bury more wires....ugh... :)

But the following from the previous message seems to say I can do this...?

If you are running one cable from your LNB to a switch, then the SWITCH should allow for multi receivers just fine. Your mostly right, DP does allow this.

This is exactly what I'd like to do...but it seems to be in conflict with the above? Or have I just been fooling with DTV boxes for too long? :)

thanks! mn

mnassour said:
This is exactly what I'd like to do...but it seems to be in conflict with the above? Or have I just been fooling with DTV boxes for too long? :)

thanks! mn
What Bobabird and larrystotler have posted are correct. I don't have a DishPro Twin and I do understand that there are current limitations and a need for updated software configurations so to allow it's proper use with the DPP44 switch and a separator (chime in if I'm in error here). However if you do use a DPP44 with the DPP Twin a single line with a separator concept should work with a dual tuner receiver. Also the input to the DPP Twin is disabled when using a switch. I would suggest going to this site so to get a better understanding. It has great illustrations: http://www.solidsignal.com/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Information_Documents/Introduction_to_DISH_Pro_Technology.pdf You do need a pdf viewer.
Also this site has many other applicable informations that are helpful: http://www.solidsignal.com/dishpro_installation.asp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)