Really Sad about NPS

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well it shouldn't be much longer until someone figures out that selling packetized cable channels using IPTV technology will be the wave of the future. With Comcast and Charter now rolling out 50 Meg down internet in major markets the idea of true Ala carte IPTV will soon be a reality.

The content providers (Read that cable channels) could care less about the delivery method and are eagerly awaiting to sign deals.

NPS has always been good to me. They have really cut me some slack on various things.
I think Mike has a huge battle ahead of him. C band market is so small now. I mean people have told me to throw away those "old dishes" from my yard. LOL.

I doubt mike has much leverage with the channel providers or distributors. We are not the mainstream. Maintsream is cable, direct, or dish. \\

I doubt the providers could care less if NPS or SRL closed up tomorrow. C band private subscribers are not their cash cow anymore.

as sad as it is, its only a matter of time til we cannot sub to cband. you bud will be a fta only dish.

Jim if I can buy an out of town newspaper from anywhere, I should be able to watch the local news of any station I want in the country as well as long as their signal is available to me.

Thats the way I feel and it's the way it should be. :)

I agree!

I think the whole argument is about smaller network loosing viewers to bigger networks in cities like New York. If thats truely the issue here, then make me buy my local networks first before I am allowed to buy out of market locals.

But then again, why are some cable companies able to get away with providing locals from 2 different markets?

But heres something really screwed up, I do a Job for a Prision with 5000 televisions. To put the correct locals in the prision getting a feed from DISH Network costs $2500/mo. Put up a nice big antenna at the Prision, get all the correct locals and some locals from adjacent markets, run them all through Digital Demodulators so they look even better than on satellite and its 100% FREE.

Why does satellite get charged per customer when you can get it for FREE with an antenna.

about getting what you want:

The OP's point is about 4D users getting what they want.
I'm not a 4D'er 'cause my needs are just not addressed at all.

Give me the following and I'll sign up (not holding my breath):
- HD programming
- a week-long Guide
- on a PVR - :eek:
- component and HDMI video out - :cool:
- premium and regular cable channels a la carte, or in very tiny packages (eg: all HBO, maybe?)
- OTA tuner would be nice, but I'd compromise

I understand locals, sports, and other unique programming appeal to some.
Just I don't see the possibility that everybody's locals will be available.

Last edited:
As bad as C band has got with subs PQ etc. I still wouldn't trade it for the world. I just wish NPS would get a bit more done :(

IF 4DTV offered CNN, MSNBC, FN AND the ESPNs + the Fox regional sports nets I would be all over it like flies on a turd even in SD.

My FTA cband channels SD look much better than the DN channels.
In fact here's how I rate pic quality from what I've seen:
1) OTA HD (by far)
2) DN HD, BUT
3) FTA cband is only a gnat's hair behind DN HD
4) local cable HD in our area.
5) DN SD

NPS lost me altogether when KTLA went down. surprised they are still around at all. in the times we are in now even more so if they are around in 2011. it does go to show if you can affored it people want the best picture they can get.

my top

1) FTA C-band Ku HD
2) OTA HD
3)DTV HD
4) local cable HD
5) FTA C-band Ku SD

If you like movies NO ONE can beat the amount of Channels the 4DTV offers. And all 1st generation masters. NPS still is better to deal with than ANY Pizza or Cable system.

not so much

If you like movies NO ONE can beat the amount of Channels the 4DTV offers. And all 1st generation masters. NPS still is better to deal with than ANY Pizza or Cable system.
i find both (nps and dtv)to have been nice to me as they take my $$.
i wish nps all the best. i seen this tread and thought well...gone

movies not so much
i was on vacation in the 90s wanted a cheap night so we went to a good size video rental store in st. pete walked down asles of tapes 100s got back to the front of the store and said to my wife i have seen all these movies and never want to see them again and wish i had never wasted my time on them. over the past 15 years or so i have watched 50-70 and feel that way about them too. i do watch older stuff pre 70s mostly.

Agreed about the 4DTV channels.

The little dish providers offer nowhere near the SD choices. Like Retroplex from Starz for example. I enjoy old movies myself and this channel among others such as ALTV and multiple east-west choices, are not available any other way for me. If you're not really into HD, 4DTV is still a great value.

I'm not concerned about getting locals via satellite. A waste of bandwidth in my opinion, that's what antennas are for. I understand that is not everyone's option but, I can get 18 OTA free where I live. Many of which in HD. I feel my tax $$ paid for this DVT transition and I'm taking advantage of it.

agreed! Local channels are for tv antennas. Its pretty dumb to waste all the bandwidth and hardware routing local channels from fiber optic cable or antenna farms over a broadband data line to an uplink center where the picture quality can be further compressed and bastardized to deliver over satellite to a handicapped pizza dish.

You would be surprised at the negative attitudes I have heard about outdoor tv antennas from many people who live in nicer subdivisions. But hey..those people are why cable companies exist. If they want to pay 80.00 per month for some over compressed digital channels and local tv....go for it.

agreed! Local channels are for tv antennas. Its pretty dumb to waste all the bandwidth and hardware routing local channels from fiber optic cable or antenna farms over a broadband data line to an uplink center where the picture quality can be further compressed and bastardized to deliver over satellite to a handicapped pizza dish.

You would be surprised at the negative attitudes I have heard about outdoor tv antennas from many people who live in nicer subdivisions. But hey..those people are why cable companies exist. If they want to pay 80.00 per month for some over compressed digital channels and local tv....go for it.

The pizza dish systems only offer the local channels because cable offers them. They would loose allot of subs to cable if there just offered the satellite channels. I think anyone who buys local channels when they could use an OTA antenna is a fool. Even way back in the day BFB (Before Bud) when I had TCI cable (1980's) I always used my OTA antenna for locals. Cable's PQ was for the birds from what I got on my antenna.

Pizza don't care about bastardizing the signal with compression as long as the fools buying it pays them every month.

I hate to say it but there are lots of people that go cable route because their locals ARE available without an antenna.

Great example is today. My sister lives in the same town as me. We are 25-30 miles from the towers. I get everything great on my outdoor antenna. She needs to use an antenna until her cable is put in (couple weeks) so I brought my converter box and bought an amplified antenna. Get almost all the stations nice and strong. The ones on UHF. But the two on VHF which are Fox & NBC I spent 15 minutes getting it to the optimal picture and its still lower than what my UHF only outdoor antenna gets.

Lots of people live in areas where an antenna now (after digital conversion) doesn't work so cable/satellite is the only option.

I agree that an antenna is the way to go for local networks. While it is true that there are some places that are unable to receive all of their locals via an antenna, the vast majority out there can. It makes me sick how over the past 5 years there's been this explosion of HDTV sales, and probably 80% of those buying the TVs are unaware that they can receive 5-6 HD channels with a pair of rabbit ears, that are BETTER PQ than the $100+ they're paying the cable company for the same channels! When it comes to television, Americans have become lazy and would rather pay someone for convenience than put a little thought and effort into it and save money. How many people do you know would go through the effort of installing a 10ft BUD to get television nowadays? Heck, they won't even install an 18" dish for DirecTV, which I can do blindfolded. Like my parents, they predominately watch the big 5 and pay DirecTV $90 or so a month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts