Reasonable Compromise to Save Face

socalpanman

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 12, 2005
San Rafael CA
If there is a supply issue to cause a limit of one mpg4 box per house per year.
If it's true the new HD will still really be in mpeg2.
It seems only reasonable Dish must step back and re-think their transition strategy and:

1. Allow current HD/Voom subs, paying the new fees, to see ALL the new HD on our current mpeg2 boxes while E* builds stock to trade out one for one (Charge upgrade fee and install dish1000 as needed now and send new boxes later) or
2. Delay the move and insure that there is enough stock to first swap one for one with all the current HD paying customers before making any structure changes or
3. Allow current HD/Voom subs, paying the new fees, to see ALL the new HD on our current mpeg2 boxes while E* builds stock and trades them out one for one.(Charge upgrade fee and install dish1000 as needed now and send new boxes later):D

Does Echostar hire kids with from high school co-op marketing classes to come up with these sales plans?:confused:
If they haven't gotten far enough in the semester yet let me share that in sales, customer retention is VERY important and lucrative.:up

It seems to me that your option 2 is equivalent to you (and me) as what they are doing. Except we can get one receiver that picks up new hd channels now if we want, so what they are doing is better than your option 2. The main constraint for Dish is to make sure no subscriber is worse off tomorrow than they are today. This rollout of new channels satisfies that constraint very well. Dish needs to switch to MPEG-4 eventually as someday it will save bandwidth. They cannot take advantage of this potential new bandwidth until they can encode MPEG-4 in real time AND all of their customers can decode MPEG-4. They have some space for new HD channels now. They have some new receivers that can decode MPEG-4 now. So by getting people to switch to the new receivers by offering new channels that cannot be seen otherwise sounds like a good strategy to get everyone to convert as quickly as possible. It would be nice if there were enough of the new boxes to go around, but it would be nice if they could have done it last month also. Sounds like they are doing it as fast as possible. I am not going to be too upset if I am not the first kid on my block to see the new channels. I would like to be, but knowing that someone somewhere can see them gives me a better feeling than hearing that 'someday soon' there will be more HD content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts