Receiced my converter box "coupons" on 2/28

Model comparisons/similarities were made just a few posts ago...and it appears that the Insignia (at Best Buy) and the Zenith (at Circuit City) are identical -- based upon the website pictures of the units. The front panel, rear connections, and remote all look identical. The RCA at Wal-Mart appeared to be the cheapest-looking unit, as in "cheap" quality.

Eric

Best Buy Insignia® - Digital-to-Analog Converter for Analog TVs - NS-DXA1

Circuity City Buy the Zenith Digital to Analog TV Tuner/Converter Box and other HD receivers & TV tuners at circuitcity.com

Wal-Mart RCA Thomson RCA DTA800 Digital TV Converter Box - Wal-Mart

In addition, the PDF manual for the Insignia specifically states that universal remotes should be programmed with "the manufacturer codes for LG or Zenith" (page 3 as printed, page 5 of PDF). So the Insignia is definitely a rebranded Zenith; LG isn't selling any boxes under its own name.

I got my coupon earlier this week; I was hoping someone would have the Echostar box, but from here it seems it's not available. Only the Zenith DTT900/Insignia NS-DXA1 (Best Buy, Circuit City, most RadioShacks), DigitalStream DTX9900 (some RadioShacks), Magnavox TB100MW9 (Wal-Mart), and RCA DTA 800B (also Wal-Mart--still available in stores here even though their website says they're not) are generally available at brick-and-mortar; even the other chains on earlier NTIA lists (Sears, Target, etc.) don't carry them at all. Here's the other links (to descriptions only--none of these actually sell them online):

Wal-Mart Magnavox Digital-to-Analog TV Converter Box - Wal-Mart

RadioShack RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Video accessories: Converters: Digital Stream DTX9900 Digital- to-Analog Converter Box

RadioShack RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Video accessories: Converters: Zenith DTT900 Digital-to-Analog Converter Box

So far, I've only found two other online stores with the box:
* BSAT's converter box store (also linked from the official site) sells only the Artec T3A-PRO, though they still show pictures of the Coship N9900T which they once sold.
* My Virtual Zone sells the Sansonic FT300RT, but only accepts coupons by phone (BSAT accepts them online).

According to the official site, RadioShack also accepts them by phone thru a special toll-free number; I hear Best Buy is also gearing up for phone orders. (Edit: I know this seems odd, but much of the target market for converter boxes is not tech-savvy, and also may not be able to visit the chain stores that sell most of them; phone ordering is an important outreach for that group.)

It's especially disappointing that none of the models presently available have the "passthru" feature needed to pick up low-power stations that will remain analog even after 2/17/09 (that is, without undesirable workarounds like a bunch of cables, splitters and A/B switches), even though other models with passthru are being made for two of those brands (Magnavox--including its sister Philips brand Philco--and DigitalStream). That makes the delay in the Echostar model even more disappointing; despite its low MSRP, it's one of the few boxes with passthru.

(Edit: The difference between Magnavox & Philco models may have to do with whoever licenses the brand names. Philips doesn't actually produce the Magnavox box at Wal-Mart; that one's made by Funai, who licenses the brand from Philips. I haven't seen a Philco box yet, but since the few other Philco products today are made by licensees, I suspect those are made by licensees as well. OTOH, the RCA box is an official Thomson product even though RCA TVs are now made by someone else; Thomson, which bought the RCA brand from GE in the early 2000's and merely licensed it out with the TV line, still makes RCA A/V accessories.)

Last edited: