Receiver Activation Question

john81

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
North Pole
Hello All,

I just purchased a new receiver off the fleabay and was given its unique numbers ahead of time (while it's shipped on the way here) so I could activate it on my account before I head off for 3 weeks of work. The objective was to have it ready for use for my family while I'm out, so when they receive it, it'll be plug and play. When I called to activate, the Dish CSR confirmed that it should be ready for use; however, I'm skeptical that a receiver can only be activated at the instantaneous time she delivers the activation signal, and not thereafter. This would theoretically require the receiver to be connected when I make that activation call.

Does anyone have any word on the process of activation, and whether the CSR is correct or not? Thanks for any help!

I kindof doubt that they'll be able to use the receiver straight out of the box. The receiver does need to be hooked up to get the activation hit so since it was packaged & on its way at that time there's no way it could have gotten it. It should be fairly simple for them to fix though. Once the box has been received and hooked up have them call customer service to have a hit sent to the receiver. That'll get it the authorization information that it needs and get it working.

That's what I thought. So the activation comes down the signal at one time only. I will have to forewarn the wife about activating it again. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Actually, it used to be that way but not anymore. Ever since the yellow cards came out (and I assume the purple ones work the same), a disconnected receiver will lose its authorization after a certain amount of time (a few days to a week or so). This implies that the stream is periodically reauthorizing every active receiver in their database. If you're lucky it might authorize shortly after being connected. If it's a brand new receiver, it will have to download current software anyway.

If they get tired of waiting, you can always call customer support, technical option and ask them for a "hit."

Yup. Do not call in and ask for it to be activated. They'll look it up, say it's already activated, and get really confused. They'll attempt to transfer you to tech support, level whatever, and half the time you don't get through. Then tech support will keep transferring you because they can't for the life of them figure out how a receiver could show up as unactivated if it's already been activated.

Just call and ask for a rehit. They'll know what you mean and it'll take all of 2 minutes.

Or go through the automated menus for tech support and enter in the error code on the receiver. It'll automatically send a rehit.

With any new receiver the box first needs to be check switched. It will search for the satellites you are aimed at and then download any software needed for the box. You would hook up the satellite in line to your box and check switch by pressing menu then 6-1-1 and highlight and select test. After you do the check switch it will show the satellites your dish is pointed at. You can highlight and select done. Once you are at the signal screen you can highlight and select done again to download any software the box needs. Try and make sure you are locked with the green bar showing the satellite slot you are on. Once the download is done you should get the activation screen to call in to activate the receiver.

It is sometimes necessary to check switch the box again to make sure your receiver has the current software and to make sure it has all the satellites you need. I am sure you already know how to do this. When you call in to activate, the satellite will send the hit to your box to activate and download your programming. This process only lasts for 2 hours and occurs about every 15 mins after you request activation. If the box is not already hooked up its pointless to activate beforehand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)