Receiver compatibility 625 vs 510

mellenheads

Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
ohio
Today I replaced my 510 receiver/single dvr with a 625 which dish network recommended (510 has problems). I know nothing about satelite systems, so I was hoping someone could help. I called dish network tech support and ran the switch test...afterwards an error message came on the screen advising there were problems and the system performance would be dramitically effected (or something to that effect). Tech support advised it would require a tech to be dispatched to chang a switch at the lnb head or possibly add some equipement to allow compatibility.

I have 3 older non dvr receivers and wonder if the 625 will be compatible.

Also, there was only one satelite input to the 510...will the 625 require another input....if so, could I just split a fed that is supplying another receiver?

I am mechanically inclined and not afraid to do my own work if I have some direction....also, money is tight these days.

Sorry if the questions seem silly, but would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

Today I replaced my 510 receiver/single dvr with a 625 which dish network recommended (510 has problems). I know nothing about satelite systems, so I was hoping someone could help. I called dish network tech support and ran the switch test...afterwards an error message came on the screen advising there were problems and the system performance would be dramitically effected (or something to that effect). Tech support advised it would require a tech to be dispatched to chang a switch at the lnb head or possibly add some equipement to allow compatibility.

I have 3 older non dvr receivers and wonder if the 625 will be compatible.

Also, there was only one satelite input to the 510...will the 625 require another input....if so, could I just split a fed that is supplying another receiver?

I am mechanically inclined and not afraid to do my own work if I have some direction....also, money is tight these days.

Sorry if the questions seem silly, but would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.
The 625 is Compatible with the Dish Pro Plus LNB. That I know for sure. And it would be a Single wire from the Dish to a Seperator,Then to both tuners on the 625. The 625 serves 2 rooms DVR if you want it to as well.

Since you previously had 4 single-tuner receivers, I imagine you have a switch such as the DP34 or SW64. Which one do your receivers show in their system info screens? We're just guessing without that critical information.

OK, I'll guess. ;) You probably will need 2 coax runs to the two tuners on a 625. You could unplug two single tuner receivers and use their cables to feed the 625, and I'll bet it would then work correctly. If you want to keep all 3 of your other receivers, you will very likely need to change out your LNBs, or cascade your switchgear, or both.

Older receivers are 2700 and a dish 500 quad lnb. Is a 625 compatible with the other hardware without additional equipement? Thank you

I went into system info and could not find any information to on what switch I have...could you tell me where exactly I can find that? I would like to keep my 3 older receivers....after finding out what switch how could I determine what lnb would be required? Thanks

Receivers with 4 digits in the model number (such as your 2700's) are not DishPro LNB/switch capable. So unless you have a DishPro adapter somewhere, your quad LNB is a legacy LNB with internal SW21 switches.

Without additional switchgear, and/or swapping out that old quad LNB, you're going to have to use all 4 outputs and plug them into 4 tuners max. Newer receivers with 3 digits in the model number can handle both legacy LNBs and switches, as well as the newer DishPro and DishPro Plus switches. DishPro Plus technology is needed to feed both tuners of your 625 with a single coax. The 625 has 2 tuners, so you can keep at most 2 of your older receivers online. This is not really a hardship since the 625 can operate in dual mode, where it feeds 2 TVs independenty with different programs.

Edit: I see we are cross-posting. ;) If you want to run all 5 tuners (3 old and 2 on your 625) simultaneously, I don't see how you can do that with a single quad LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)