Receiver + Computer? + LCD monitor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

colbec

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Eastern Ontario, Canada
My current setup for watching TV is my DVB-S receiver which outputs to an old computer which displays on a 24" LCD screen. This is quite adequate for my purposes and has the advantage that the setup is modular and components can be used in other roles if necessary. I can also record to hard drive in a pinch.

However I am thinking that the computer is overkill most of the time. Is there an adapter which can take say an S-Video or composite video output and display directly on an LCD monitor, one which can deal with advances such as HD signals? The LCD monitor has a DVI input as well as a regular D-type input.

Yes, I could buy a regular LCD TV which would replace the computer entirely, I'm just exploring options!

You are going to need to use HDMI output or get another monitor that will support the input you are giving it.

The HDMI to DVI adapter is cheap at many sites:
For only $2.10 each when QTY 50+ purchased - DVI-D single link Male to HDMI Female adapter | DVI <--> HDMI

Newegg.com - KINGWIN ADP-02 HDMI Female (19 pin) to DVI-D Male (24+1 pin) Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers

If you can use an HDMI cable and don't have one, the monoprice site has good cables and prices.

Is this what you have? If so, it's not so simple.
GlobeCast-Receiver-back-2.gif

Thanks for the thoughts here guys. The issue has caused me to look carefully at the specs for various interfaces for the first time, should have done so earlier.

bebop: I have one receiver such as you display (no component video) and two others with component video. I did not realize that component video was so much superior to either s-video or composite, but stands to reason now I think about it.

Adapters are available for component video to HDMI and from HDMI to DVI-D but they are not very cheap. I think as Smith P suggests, better wait for the receiver with built in HDMI and monitor which can take the direct input. I don't suppose they can be too far away.

Not very cheap? You can get one less that $6 (which includes shipping to Ontario Canada) as I posted the link above. What is not very cheap to you?

Don't bother getting one if you are not using a HDMI to DVI setup though.

Perhaps you meant converters that input one signal and modify it and then output it as a different signal that is compatible for what you need. If so, look at RAM electronics site and see if you can find something else. The online chat folks helped me find the best fit for what I needed.

I was looking at some component video to hdmi adapters, mostly up between $70-200.

Adapters are available for component video to HDMI and from HDMI to DVI-D but they are not very cheap
Component to HDMI 'adapters' on Monoprice are as low as $37 for one. That's not expensive for what you get, but isn't cheap like $10. Definitely cheaper than $200-$70. You don't have component output on the DVB-S receiver though, do you?

HDMI to DVI adapters are about $6 - cheap.

Here's the one for $37:
Component (YPbPr) to HDMI Converter

I don't do business with Newegg.
I do, and quite a bit - for I save a lot of money, time and hassle. If you don't do business with Monoprice either, then I don't know what to say. :tux:

Is there an adapter which can take say an S-Video or composite video output and display directly on an LCD monitor, one which can deal with advances such as HD signals? The LCD monitor has a DVI input as well as a regular D-type input.
This might work:
RCA | S-VIDEO | VGA TO VGA Converter

When you say 'advances such as HD signals' - I don't think it applies - because HD can't be displayed over Svideo or composite video.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)