Receiver Dilemma!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Beachbum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
PBCH, FL
Well, my install is a week from today! I'm exited, and I am also scared.
See, I have a structured wiring system. So all the coax is in a central location (see diagram below). And all those cables distribute to all the rooms...
I went ahead and chose to get 2 322 receivers to serve 4 rooms. I was planning on placing them on a rack in the wire closet and using them off of the UHF remote, and then buying some IR extenders for the infrared remotes.
Well, the house isn't even finished (darn hurricanes) and we are currently living in it. I don't think its even worth my trouble to buy extenders etc.
The main reason in selecting the 2 322 receivers was to save the 10$ in extra receiver fees, right? But I go to dish's website and select 4 "standard" receivers (311's) and its the same price! It just shows an extra $5 fee for an extra receiver. Soooo, I am contemplating calling them and changing the receiver preference from 2 322's to 4 311's? Is it too late? Am I screwed? Am I getting wrong info from the website?

Funky diagram. Not very accurate, but it gives you the idea. Each run from the wire closet probubly vary from 30-50ft (hope it works...) So, I plan on putting the switch in the panel to distrubute to each room.

If it's a week away, you should be able to call whoever is installing it and get it changed. They've got the receivers stocked, and you haven't signed the contract yet...

Uhh something must be wacky with dishnetwork's website because it will be $5 per receiver beyond the first. So if you switched from a pair of 322s to four 311s you're looking at paying $15 a month in receiver fees. Also keep in mind that the 322s do need to be plugged into a phone line at all times so I hope your wiring closet has a phone access point. One final point, if I remember correctly you can get a UHF remote for TV1 on the 322 receivers it's just something that you have to enable in the menu setup. For that matter they may come with a pair of UHF remotes nowadays but I'm not 100% sure on that.

2 322s - $5 additional receiver fee + $10 no phone line fee (if not connected to either)
4 311s - $15 additional receivers fee

If you have no phone line attached to a dual tuner/TV receiver, the additional fees make them equivalent to individual receivers. So, if you have a phone line attached to both, you can save $10 per month.

Oh man. Crud. Guess i'll stick to the 2 322's then. I will call them tomorrow to tell them that their site is screwed up.

Beachbum said:
Oh man. Crud. Guess i'll stick to the 2 322's then. I will call them tomorrow to tell them that their site is screwed up.
As long as you're thinking, you might think some more about 2 322s vs at least one of them being a 522. I got 2 322s last fall and early this year (with a lot of complaining), I got them to trade out a 322 for a 522 for only $50. Wish I had gotten the 522 up front. It really makes a big difference with the dual recorder. You can't imagine how much more convenient it is! The extra $5 a month is nothing compared to the convenience.

JohnP

yes you can upgrade to the 4.0 UHF pro # 1 side and than all 4 tuners are controlled via a UHF remote, just make sure and address them correctly, if you want DVR capabilities go to the 625

Dish Dude said:
yes you can upgrade to the 4.0 UHF pro # 1 side and than all 4 tuners are controlled via a UHF remote, just make sure and address them correctly, if you want DVR capabilities go to the 625
Wait wait wait. "A" remote? I need 4 uhf remotes to control 4 TV's. I guess i'll call them or ask the installer.

yes you can centrally locate your receivers and get remotes which can upgrade the 1st sides to UHF as well

Do you have to 'closet' the two 322s. Why not put 'em with the TV's.
They can both be diplexed to tv3 and tv4, probably for free. We do it all the time for no extra charge.

fred

yeah, any reputable installer should be able to put the boxes at the two of the tvs and backfeed the second tvs, no problem, that way you don't have to buy any extra remotes, as long as there is a phone line jack also at two of the tvs

not necessarily, some installers will not use a DPP 44 if he is in a SD market, sometimes if it is the only way it will go in, than it is the only way. Also by the looks of it he has only 1 cable going to each location in a new finished house how do you pull cable interior and hide all the cables to those 4 rooms, not easily I would say. He has already stated that he wants the receivers in the rack so it would be much cheaper to upgrade the #1 side remotes

This is just the way I wired it people. I was expecting to use cable, and as a last resort some 322's in the closet which I am going to do now. I knew as a last resort I could just add some IR extenders, but if I can use 2 more UHF remotes instead then that would be GREAT.

I called Dish and asked the kind lady if I could add 2 more UHF remotes to my install (on Saturday!) and she said there was no way to do that (even if I did call earlier) and that I would have to call them and order them separate. So I thought maybe I'd see if the installer could hook me up with some UHF remotes. The install contractor is supposed to call tomorrow to confirm the install and I will talk to them about that. If I can't get one from the installer then maybe I could buy one....from no other than: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-2141 Wait, its not available in store, crud. Well I could go to a local authorized retailer (probably the people who are installing it for all I know) and buy one.

So, how do I go about programming these buggers on Saturday? There is just a setting in the menu?
:( :smug

Okay, the installer just called me and asked what time I wanted him out. I said in the afternoon like I scheduled. I asked him if he had any additional remotes and he said no, and he also said his location doesn't even sell them. I tried to explain my wire closet situation and I got him a little confused, but he will see when he comes out.
I don't really NEED to use the other TV's at this time, so I will just order 2 more UHF remotes off ebay.

Oh my! ITS INSTALLED! I'm going to cry, its so beautiful. I should take pictures.
Anywho, the installers didn't have any other UHF remotes. What I will do is go to Radio Shack and buy one and see if it works. Overall, the install was probably the most simple one (as far as physical labor is concerned) they have ever done. I think my installers were from Ohio judging from the area code of his cell phone that he called me on. They did a great job (that I can see). I had already ran 4 quad shield RG-6's from the wire panel to outside, and I already had a pole mounted in cement ready to go (from my failed FTA attempt). It probably took an hour at most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)