OTHER receiver info

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sg9999

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
If I want some free sat channels and have an old Wild Blue dish.......what LNB do I need and what receiver
(mpeg2)?? do I need to get at least some national news or large city local news in the USA..
or any info on getting hooked up. I have open southern sky.

LNBF Standard,10750 L.O.
Receiver? Newer generation DVB-S2, Dolby audio, mpeg4, capable.
Check @ KE4EST SAT-AV GotCband Titaniumsatellite
Think a few here have modified W-Blue dishes.
get at least some national news or large city local news in the USA.
Via unscheduled feeds for the most part. International news, yeah, 24/7.
I have open southern sky.
Open to the E and W getting lower to the horizon? The satellites are in an arc with it's highest point directly south of you. How far north of the equator you are determines 'how high'. (Latitude) Then your E/W position determines what satellite is closest to 'true' south. (Longitude)
info on getting hooked up
Yeah, we got that, simple to pretty complex system. Someone here will share their mods for the dish, but modifications are usually left to those with experience, and a 'ready to run' dish is usually recommended first to get some 'hands on' ..
36 Inch 90 cm Free To Air FTA Satellite Dish & HD LNBF

how about a recommend on a moderately priced decent receiver....I saw the GeoSat pro but it seems sold out..????
any others?? I also need a Sat finder meter that IDs the sat it finds on the screen...ideas??? not just a cheap 10 dollar meter...
How many channels of news can I expect to find on 19?? or other channels??? thanks.

On G-19 at 97W there are many channels. A large number of them are not in English. There are two 24 hour news channels that I am sure about and I think there may be more.

I do hope you were referring to G-19 and not 119W. Hack talk is not allowed here and if you were speaking of 119W you are probably looking to do something not above board.

I dont know wht your talking about. Isnt 119 my Dish sat???? I want to get rid of them. I want 16-24 hour US news or like a Los Angeles news
station. Something big. I live up by the border Canada but I like LA. Its like a mini America.
Can I get news like that???

We do legal FTA here. I don't know of anything available legally as you are looking for. If you want TRUE LEGAL FTA this is the place and members here are more than willing to help out.

FTA is not a replacement for Dish or DirectTV. You can find many good programs on FTA, but there is no HBO, Cinemax, CNN, Fox News. Once in a while they will appear open, but they usually go away pretty fast, so you can't count on them. Go to Lyngsat.com and look at what is available via FTA (those with a "F" in the appropriate column).

If after that, you decide that legal FTA is what you want, we are all more than willing to help you out.

If you want 24/7 US news you have to call DISH or Directv and subscribe. OR: Got good high speed internet? A streaming box may serve you better. Don't know,

Sat meters will not I.D. any FTA satellites. No I.D.'s are broadcast. Only dish or direct.

If you want to further investigate what's available via FTA see: MPEG Central
I want 16-24 hour US news or like a Los Angeles news
See if you can put up a TV Antenna www.tvfool.com Oh, you're nearer to Canada, I doubt that's plausable.
No, FTA won't give you your LA News 'fix' but offers more, allbeit
different.
I get my 'fix' with TV antennas and a few FTA dishes.

Not sure what the badgering is all about, the guy asked a simple question and Fat Air answered it. There wasn't anything in his posts that indicated he was asking about hacking. As for a receiver, the GEOSATPro MicroHD is reasonably priced and should do the trick.

If I cant get news then its not for me. And I am WAY too far out for free TV antenna stuff. At least I know now. Dish is SUCH a rip off but I guess I have to stick with them.
btw are you sure on your comment about not using a sat meter for FTA sats???? I watched some videos amd they seem to ID free sats
if the meter has the info in it for those sats....????

I apologize for the direction this thread has taken. FTA is a great source for news, both North American and International sources.

The Wildblue dish will be fine for a fixed (non-motorized) aiming. 87w, 91w, 103w satellites might be of interest as there are many network news feeds. There are many news sources and channels available with a motorized system. Your best selection of English news channels would be with both a motorized large C-band dish and a smaller motorized KU-band dish.

On FTA, channels often appear and disappear without announcement. Right now we are enjoying 24 hour channels such as CNN, Fox, MSNBC, DW, AJE, CCTV, RT, NHK, Press TV, CNC and many other channels with news blocks such as PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, CTV and many others that I am sure others can fill in.

Add a Roku player to a FTA satellite system and you likely will have more programming than you have hours in the day!

Reactions: KE4EST and fred555
how about a recommend for..
1- a good starting receiver
2- a LNB for my old WildBlue Dish. I dont know the diameter but its about 2 ft. at least. I need an LNB that will fasten on to the bracket as is.
Those single LNB I see for about 10 $ seem to be ok. Single. I might look into a motor later.
And I guess I will just use the 7 $ meter and do it the hard way.
Thanks

Receiver? Maybe a Manhattan DJ-1997 - Hyper has them and they are on sale.
Dish, post some pics. Include a close up of the LNBF attachment.
A single output LNBF is all that's needed for one receiver. I'd splurge a bit and get a PLL. Will help performance if that dish is only 24 inches across. (improved performance on my 30 inchers and 48 inchers)

There's meters built in the receiver that will work better than a $7 meter.

87.91,103? Longitude of the satellites See if you can see them from your location at www.dishpointer.com.
Don't know your Latitude or Longitude? Go to maps.google.com and zoom in to your dish. Right click on it and select 'What's Here", Your Lat and Long will appear. Write it down to enter it at dishpointer. Save it, it's necessary for a USALS motor.

1. GEOSATpro microHD (better and less buggy than the 1200 or 3500 models), Manhattan 1933 (better picture quality and less buggy than the newer 1997 model), iLink 8000i or 9000i. You might find these units used at a very good price. Other members will probably have suggestions of what works well for them. There are other STBs out there, but they are either targeting the theft of services crowd and have poor performance, lack features for FTA (like dolby audio decoding) or the seller is based in China and you are on your own for support or operational bugs. The current North American market STB pickings are pretty slim right now and there are many receivers that I would never own let alone recommend to a newbie.

2. The Maverick PLL KU LNBF has solid performance and a great price point. The Wildblue dish is a bit on the small side, but you will receive most transponders.

The satellite receiver has a built-in meter that is just as acurate as a $500 meter. All you have to do is pick the satellite that you are aiming for, select the correct LNB type and and active transponder. The Signal level reading will show if the LNBF is powered and working, the Signal Quality reading will show when the disg is correctly aimed at the satellite.

dish.jpg
Is this the dish model? If so, you will need to McGuyver a mount for a LNBF. Make a template of the exact position (height, distance, angle) of the OEM feedhorn. Remove the existing feedhorn and tria. Use a universal LNBF clamp and fashion a mount for the replacement LNBF. Place the replacement LNBF feedhorn opening in the exact same position as the original feedhorn opening. Adjust the skew angle of the LNBF and connect to the receiver to start aiming.

Edit: Posting before I saw Fat AIr's excellent reply!

This is the type of bracket I use to modify dishes meant for other style LNB's:

Amazon product ASIN B002NHEZZ4
This LNB I have had good luck with, for cheap money. Whatever LNB you do get, get a PLL [Phase-Locked-Loop] one like Fat Air suggested, it makes a big difference when using a small dish:

Amazon product ASIN B0087OTUJI
I have a GeosatPro MicroHD receiver and that's a very good basic receiver, I would think you'd be happy with that, if you can find one. Don't go for their newer receiver though, [HDVR3500] they're very buggy.

I have a Manhattan 1933 and a Amiko Mini HD-SE that I use. There are things I like and dislike about both.

Below is a Wild Blue dish that I modified last year with a Ku band PLL LNBF for receiving 30W. For skew on this dish, I set the LNBF at 0° and then rotated the dish to the proper skew. It's a bit on the small side, but works well enough for my purposes. This one has a Titanium PLL-1KS LNBF (superseded by the Maverick PLL LNBF). For aiming, I'm usually dragging a receiver and small TV to the dish. With transponder information programmed in the receiver, this works much better for me than the little inline sat finder.
SAM_6340.JPG
The universal LNBF holder is mounted to a piece of flat steel that was drilled to allow fastening to the subreflector mounting bolts and provide fore/aft adjustment of the LNBF holder. There is a post here with more photos. The LNBF holder required some tweaking to get the correct angle to match the original internet equipment.
DSCN2688-a.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts