Status
Please reply by conversation.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Stupid question, but do you have to pay a leasing fee for receivers that you purchase? I got 3 standard receivers when I got D*, then I purchased a DVR+, H20, and HR20 for standard cost (except for HR20 that I got for $100.) I checked my last bill and I have 5 receiver lease fees, minus one "credit" that I get. I mean I don't see why I should be paying a lease cost for something that I full out purchased. Am I misunderstanding something, or do I have a reason to call and yell at a CSR?

Whether you own or lease a receiver there's a fee after the first receiver (primary receiver). My two owned receivers still get hit with an "additional receiver" fee of $4.99 a month each. If I leased them I'd still get hit with the $4.99 a month fee but it might be entered on my bill as a "lease fee". Bottom line is they're going to charge you $4.99 a month whether you own or lease.

Whether you own or lease a receiver there's a fee after the first receiver (primary receiver). My two owned receivers still get hit with an "additional receiver" fee of $4.99 a month each. If I leased them I'd still get hit with the $4.99 a month fee but it might be entered on my bill as a "lease fee". Bottom line is they're going to charge you $4.99 a month whether you own or lease.
*Censored to conform with SatGuys Rules*
That's pretty messed up. Well at least I can nail them for one of those charges, because I only use 3 receivers, and I do have 4, but that's because when I got my H20 the installer told me I didn't have to return my standard receiver and that I can use it as a backup. Maybe I can get some credits for that..

Yep. While it's probably time to get rid of them I have two older receivers stuffed away in storage. At the time I replaced them I kept them just in case or if I decided to expand the number of TV's I was running. Hasn't happened and now they're quite obsolete. At least I didn't keep them active and pay $4.99 just to have them "just in case". It's so easy to activate a unit that I don't see much use in keeping a spare in the active mode. If it's a leased unit then DirecTV will want it back when you deactivate it. If you own it then they'll not care what you do with it. Not sure they'll give you any credit other than you saving a few bucks by deactivating an extra unit and not getting charged the "lease/additional receiver" fee.

Stupid question, but do you have to pay a leasing fee for receivers that you purchase? I got 3 standard receivers when I got D*, then I purchased a DVR+, H20, and HR20 for standard cost (except for HR20 that I got for $100.)
If you paid $100 (or even $200) for an HR20, you do not own it - you are leasing it. The purchase price is $500+.

If you paid $100 (or even $200) for an HR20, you do not own it - you are leasing it. The purchase price is $500+.
*Rolls eyes* Would have been nice for them to make me aware of that. Good thing I checked before I called sounding like an ignorant nimrod. Now I'll just sound like an ignorant, seeing as I didn't monitor my bill as I should have. It would be nice if D* didn't send you a bill that said "No Payment Due" when you have automatic payments.

Not to worry Yourbeliefs. You'll neither be the first nor the last to think when they paid for their receivers from Best Buy or Costco or wherever that they were actually buying them to own. This board is full of similar postings and this won't be the last. I'll even confess to paying way more than I should have for an H20 that I really, actually own. I figure it'll take me a few years to get back to where I would have been cost wise by simply leasing the unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)