OTHER Receiver recommendation

NorthernOhioGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Ohio
I currently have a couple Edision receivers, OS Mio 4k and OS Mio 4k +. I have no complaints about these; I am happy with them. My experience with them has been positive in the few years I've been in the FTA hobby. I do a lot of blind scanning and these receivers seem to do a good job at that. I like to experiment and try new things (have locked some radio feeds with SR below 1000, receiving C-band with a small dish, etc). I especially like the fact that I can edit channels and boquets with the dreambox edit program and add iptv streams to my bouquets.
I am considering adding an additional receiver in another room. Is there any other comparable or better receiver that I should be looking at? Is there anything "new" coming out? The Edisions seem to have a reputation as top-of-the-line equipment, and as I said I'm happy with them. I know different things can be worse, better, or just different than what we're use to. Something with different features or capabilities could be just as acceptable as something better. I would like to avoid something that will do the exact same things as the Edisions only not as well as they do. I continue to value the wealth of knowledge and experience on these boards, so any input or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat. Unlike other receivers, the Edision's don't have a pass-thru port on the LNB in.
My (now idle) Zgemma H7 does. And a couple of chinabox FTA receivers lying around. Which brings me to.
I think that there is an interim in receiver technology right now. Chipsets are rather dated in most receivers and even with new ones. I believe EB on Legit mentioned that. Something like "Broadcom might be stepping back from the FTA market". After all, these receivers have ROC. Or Receiver on Chip chipsets.
I've been seriously pondering a TBS card to get my feet wet in more advanced sat reception and distribution throughout my home. Media Portal can use BDA drivers and they are, as far as I know, Windows only drivers.
Not so sure as to the whole 10 bit HEVC dilemma being handled on more current sat receivers or even if more and more channels will be broadcast in that format. NASA UHD was rather quick to step it back awhile ago though when they pulled a whammy. And 4:2:2 channels that can't be displayed on TV's with the Edision's (and others) unless you bounce them around on your LAN. Which is beyond my understanding. Unless something like VLC is used. Crazy stuff.
Yeah....

Reactions: NorthernOhioGuy