Receiver recommendations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Forgot to add, the dish has f/D of .39 if I did the math right.
Measures 90.5" by 14.5" deep. If the current feedhorn
doesn't work, how would I find one with the proper f/D for this
dish? Thanks all.

Can someone recommend a receiver to get the digital FTA stuff? I think I've
taken the Toshiba 2220 about as far as I can go analog.
The receivers I'm seeing don't seem to have the motor outputs for
the H to H mover. Would be using the A.D.L feedhorn with separate Cband
Ku band LNB's.
(The Motorola 4DTV's a bit pricey for me right now)

Thanks for any inputs.
I'm partial to Pansat's and Coolsat's, although my favorite receiver is my Qualitv. There are lot's of good DVB receivers out there. Only a few will control a servo motor (polarotor), such as some models of Pansat and some models of Manhattan. Manhattan has a model that will control an Actuator. Other than that you could get a type of V-Box controller to move the Actuator. A V-Box will convert 1.2 diseqc commands to/from an Actuator.
Most of us (I think) with C-Band (BUD's) dishes use an Analog receiver, like your Toshiba to control the polarity and drive the Actuator.
This is how I put the Analog and DVB receivers together:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

I don't think there are many digital recievers (if any) that will move a BUD, and there is also the issue of being able to control the polarity of your LNB. What a lot of us (me included) have done is to use your analog receiver to control dish movement/LNB polarity and slave a digital receiver to the analog box, that just requires a couple of high frequency splitters and a few cables.

If you want to get rid of the analog receiver totally, you can use a dish mover like a G-Box or V-Box and a voltage-controlled LNBF, our sponsors at the top of the page have everything you will need. I know little of this method but there are many here that can help you if you decide to go this way.

As far as a digital receiver goes, the Visionsat IV200 and the Fortec MercII seem to be highly recommended around here, neither of these will do HD or DVB-S2 though, I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

Thanks guys, looks like I've got some homework to do. Would either of these scenarios, i.e. DiSEqC switch or slaveing the new receiver to the analog Toshiba send the right signals to
move the dish? Or.... or would I manually move the dish with the Toshiba, then locate transponders with the digital? (sidenote: watching my first "feed" at G4/G16 coming in crystal clear. Fun stuff)

Thanks guys, looks like I've got some homework to do. Would either of these scenarios, i.e. DiSEqC switch or slaveing the new receiver to the analog Toshiba send the right signals to
move the dish? Or.... or would I manually move the dish with the Toshiba, then locate transponders with the digital? (sidenote: watching my first "feed" at G4/G16 coming in crystal clear. Fun stuff)
This would be the scenario, just remember you will have to change the channel on the Toshiba from vertical to horizontal or vice versa, to switch from vertical to horizontal on the DVB receiver. The DVB receiver will only get what polarity the Toshiba is on.

Congratulations on having fun and watching G4/G16.

I think the first scenario (using diseqc commands) will require an outboard dish mover (V-Box or G-Box)....the second scenario is what I do, use the analog box to postion the dish and handle the LNB polarity, then you scan and view your digital signals with your DVB receiver (which is slaved to the Toshiba).

I like having the analog box, since as you have found, there is still some stuff on analog. If ALL the analog went away I personally would probably get rid of the analog box when mine finally croaks, and go to a V or G-Box setup.

There's more than one way to get where you are wanting to go, if it was me, I would just go with slaving a digital receiver to your Toshiba and your existing LNBs, about $100 would probably get you a digtal receiver, cables and splitters to get it going.

Coool.....Thanks guys. Just off the phone with one of our fine sponsors and have ordered
a V-Box II along with a Mercury II.
Hurrah, onward and upward into FTA.

Coool.....Thanks guys. Just off the phone with one of our fine sponsors and have ordered
a V-Box II along with a Mercury II.
Hurrah, onward and upward into FTA.

That will be a great setup once you get it lined out. If you haven't done it yet, check out The List when you get a chance and it will show you some of the stuff you can look forward to watching with your new setup. :cool:

SatelliteGuys.US - TheList

Yes phlatwound, have the list, and like you :cool::cool: I'm gonna
be so cool I'm gonna have to wear shades when that receiver gets here!!!
By the way, nice folks at Sadoun... guess it's ok to mention a sponsor by
name here.
Have been getting lots of wild feeds on G4/G16...great stuff! Verrry happy
camper today.:)

Did you order an lnbf..? The Mercury II won't be able to control the polarity on a servo motor. But, you could still use the Toshiba to do that. Or you could get something like this:
BSC621 C KU Band Prime Focus LNBF

Asked about a new LNB for this settup and told them what I'm using came from a 10' dish.(Mine's a 7.5') They felt it should work,:confused: so we'll see what happens when I try to hook things up. May have to just slave the Merc. to the Toshiba for the interim and add the LNBF later. The one in your link looks good to me.:up

Conversely, will I still be able to use the Toshiba with the LNBF?
Not an issue really, just would like to have as many options as possible.

congrats!

Yeah G4/16 has a fair amount of feeds...also T6 (G26 93W) has some too

Thanks Iceberg,Gonna add that one in the morning.

Conversely, will I still be able to use the Toshiba with the LNBF?/quote]

I think the answer is yes, you would only be using the Toshiba to view analog signals, the MercII would be handling polarity and the V-Box would be handling movement.

I don't think the Toshiba can switch a voltage-controlled LNBF, but you won't need it to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts