Receiver to PC monitor via HDMI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

d55266

Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Hi guys,

Following your advice I bought a Sonicview HD8000 and I'm loving it. Thank you!

I need some more guidance in setting up the connection. You see, I use my 24 inch monitor to work and watch TV, to save space. I'm currently hooking my receiver directly to the monitor via a HDMI-DVI cable. This works ok but the burden is that I have to switch back and forth between the 2 connections.

I like the setting that I used for my Coolsat 5000. I hooked it up to the PC via a TV turner card. The TV feed is displayed by the card software. That way I could work AND watch TV simutaneously, and switch to fullscreen to just watch TV. Unfortunately this card only supports S-video input.

My question to you is: Do you have any good TV cards to recommend, one that supports HDMI? Do you know any better way to do this?

Thanks.
Peter.

Following your advice I bought a Sonicview HD8000 and I'm loving it.

Nobody advised buying anything in particular. In your previous thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ng-computer-should-i-get-hd-fta-receiver.html

You sound pleased ("I'm loving it") with the Sonicview. If anything, I advised not to buy it, admittedly based only on what I've read here (I'm looking for a new receiver myself, but cannot find one with the features I want). Not to change the subject, but you must tell me - should I buy one? Did something change since the last time I researched it?

There are video capture cards with HD inputs but they cost something like $700 at the cheapest. If you're watching TV in a little window it wouldn't be HD anyway, so couldn't you just use S-Video for that? For switching to fullscreen you should be able to use a DVI video switch or KVM. The only problem would be if your receiver can't output HD and SD video at the same time.

Edit: Another option would be to get a cheap PCI or USB DVB-S device and slave it off the Sonicview. That would let you see 4:2:2 feeds as well. There are some cheap PCI cards on eBay (e.g. Twinhan).

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)