receiver vs. demodulator

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Awesome,
thanks a lot guys.

I've wanted something like this for some time and now I finally have all the necessary info (and funds) to purchase it.

Thank you,
Paul

Can I ask which unit you are looking at? I worked for them 7 years ago. Strangely, I wasn't into satellite back then as I am now and regret not obtaining some of the "scrap" units that didn't meet spec (but outperform the consumer stuff I have now).

These Imedia is useless since we can't find driver for it. You are correct, the company was bought by Terayon. As I know, these cards were used in Cherrypicker units.

Guys, I hate to dig up an older thread, but I was hoping either FTARock or Stefan might know more about this product, and if it does basically the same thing as the DekTec solution:

IMEDIA S25-7000142 INPUT DVB-ASI PCI CARD - eBay (item 250096334848 end time May-12-08 14:18:58 PDT)

Can't find much about it, might be discontinued or the company might be out of business? That would spell trouble for finding drivers. I notice the seller is overseas, but has a decent feedback rating. I was wondering if the card is trash or if it might be a decent solution for PCI ASI (I just picked up another Digitrans, the 7100). This one has ASI out :)

EDIT: To partially answer my own question, further research seems to indicate that IMedia was bought out by Terayon, and they in turn have been bought out (by Motorola?)... Anyway, looks like the card in question goes into a Cherry Picker, which as far as I can tell, is a dedicated PC for stream manipulation. I guess the question now is can these cards be used in an ordinary PC with 3rd party software to record the ASI stream?

Thanks FTARock, I figured finding a driver would be a nightmare. Its bad enough when a company is bought out once, but then when the company that bought them out gets bought out, its a hopeless cause :)

ASI-USB is not cheap. Cheapest solution is LVDS-USB made by Rod, supported by TSReader. You will need an ASI-LVDS converter, check out ebay, if you are lucky you can a EVS unit for less than $50, plus the cost of Rod's board ($300 as I remember). $350-400 still a good deal, cheaper than other commercial unit such as Dektec, Linear Systems...

Thanks FTARock, I figured finding a driver would be a nightmare. Its bad enough when a company is bought out once, but then when the company that bought them out gets bought out, its a hopeless cause :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)