Receiver with VGA or DVI output and TiVo-like features?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

paulm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Over the summer we've upgraded from a smallish 480i crt to a largish lcd computer monitor. Since all of our content comes from netflix or via internet, having the 360 and Wii plugged in via VGA has been working great.

Hockey season is just around the corner, so I'll be using the FTA again for games on the Fighting Sioux Sports Network. The setup last year of running the captiveworks 600 into an old unsubbed series 1 tivo and then to tv worked quite well: I got my trick play features and the picture was pretty good (for being small and interlaced).

Yes, I HAVE been considering getting a new television that doesn't require this sort of mikey-mousing, but for how little we use it and how small our living room is, it doesn't really seem worth the money.

So, can you recommend a receiver with VGA (or DVI) output that has some timeshifting? I'm more concerned with a good 8-second back instant replay and 30 second skip than I am with archiving the hockey games.

Thanks in advance guys! :D

A QualiTV receiver has a DVI and an RGBHV output on it, as well as a couple of SCART outputs on it. I've heard that they have discontinued making them and they were already hard to find in the States (it's a Euro receiver). They are pricey, but worth it (my opinion), as they are an HD receiver and they will do 4:2:2, the only set top box I know of that will? You may find a refurbished one at Rick's Satellite (do a search)? And it would be less pricey, but still pricey. Good Luck!

under $100

You didn't say you needed hi def reception.
SO, a Visionsat IV-200 has S-video and Component video outputs, along with Composite and RF on channel 3/4.
Sound out is standard R/L audio, or optical, or coax digital.

It's a PVR with an external hard drive of just about any size.
I use a 500gb drive I paid about $80 for new.
You could go with a cheap thumb drive of 2gb or 4gb, giving roughly 2 to 4 hours of back-up buffer!

Feature-wise and function-wise, I suspect you'd be happy.
However, the problem lies with your computer monitor.
Most won't take anything but digital video, and this receiver doesn't put out digital.

A while back, I wanted to use a 19" LCD as a bedroom TV, much like you've described.
However, the hoops I had to jump through to get video out of an FTA receiver to go into a computer LCD proved massive.
In the end, I found several much better solutions, one of which was an existing 27" RCA television set.
A $60 digital TV converter box (Channel Master 7000) gave it great OTA reception.
A stand-alone DVD recorder added VCR-like capability.
And of course, the Visionsat IV-200 rounded out that room's hardware. - :up
Then I used that 19" LCD on one of my other computers, where it belonged. :eek:

Check for Next YE 2000 SUPER HDTV - cheapest HD DVB-S2 receiver with PVR and HDMI outputs so far (here it costs about $220).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts