Receivers and HDMI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chicago30

Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Is there any FTA receivers that have HDMI. I connected my Samsung receiver to my 42 plasma TV buy Im not happy with the quality of the picture. Any recommendation?

Thank you

How did you connect it right now? FTA on my TV, each channel has varying quality. Maybe you could also tell us what channels you are watching to see if other members can tell you what they see.

BTW, I connect my FTA though the component jacks and the AC-3 audio. Most channels look great. Many of the international channels are not as good for me, but I don't watch them as much and I don't blame their quality on the receiver.

Hdmi

Thank you guys for your replies.
I have a 42 Panasonic Plasma TV and Samsung 4700 FTA receiver.
I connect to two with a regular Audio/Video

If you have S-Video on your Samsung, use that. Otherwise, the video you see is as good as it is going to get since your FTA receiver does not have component outputs.

I would recommend the Fortec Mercury II receiver which has component outputs. Enter in the XMAS giveaway you may win that prize.

Quali-TV has DVI, which is exactly the same other than not having the copy protection crap HDMI has.

Actually DVI and HDMI can both offer copy protection support. It's called HDCP and usually it's referenced in the same line like "DVI with HDCP". HDCP stands for "High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection", but I like to remember it as "HanDiCaP".

It's been a while, but what I recall is that HDCP only displays the full quality picture (and sound) if the playing device supports HDCP. Considering most do support it, that's a good thing. The problem is that if the broadcast has HDCP implemented and you had it connected to a video recorder the signal would be bumped down to something like 480p to make it less attractive to distribute freely to people (read: on the internet). Ultimately it's a way of allowing the studios/broadcasters to let people enjoy watching stuff at full quality, but preventing them from recording it as such. I don't think HDCP has been widely implemented yet.

The only difference between DVI and HDMI (apart from their shape), is that DVI only carries video and HDMI carries video and audio together.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)