Receivers left from tenants

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
My renters moved out and left (what I think is) a genie setup (3 boxes). Are they like dish network with leased units that aren’t usable? Should I call DirectV and have them pick them up? Or use them for boat anchors? Is the main hdd a standard Sata drive that I could use (with an external case)?

You'll want to contact your former renters, see if they cancelled thier D* service or not .
Depending on what recvrs they are, some they want back, older ones usually not.

If the renters did cancel service they need to call D* and return what ever they decide they need, otherwise they will be billed for them ...
If you talk to them and they say D* said they don't need them, then you can toss them.

I am not sure what they would say if you called D* about them.

Reactions: Miner
If your renters owe you money, throw them away.

Otherwise take them to the UPS store and they will ship them back.

Your tenants will be charged for them if not returned and could go on their credit.

But then again, if they left the equipment they likely owe money and don’t care

Reactions: Justy5 and Miner
It's a virtual certainty the boxes are leased, and you'll have to call DIRECTV to find out if and how they want them back.

They use to have no problems sending out return kits for shipping returned equipment when they wanted them back. But nowadays they're increasingly wanting people to take them to a UPS store for returns.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

It's a virtual certainty the boxes are leased, and you'll have to call DIRECTV to find out if and how they want them back.

They use to have no problems sending out return kits for shipping returned equipment when they wanted them back. But nowadays they're increasingly wanting people to take them to a UPS store for returns.

You should return them to DirecTV. Otherwise your address might be in bad standing with DirecTV and you won't be able to get service there in the future until you pay off all fees.

They sent me one last week to return an H24.

According to my renters, they were told by Directv they could dispose (throw in garbage) of the equipment.
i suspect they leased the equipment and maybe with the ATT plans for Directv, don’t need less than the newest material.
Is there a DIRT equivalent for directv on here? I never like throwing away electronics that have life in them, but if the reality is that is the fate, I can hold onto it until the next e-waste recycling.

According to my renters, they were told by Directv they could dispose (throw in garbage) of the equipment.
i suspect they leased the equipment and maybe with the ATT plans for Directv, don’t need less than the newest material.
Is there a DIRT equivalent for directv on here? I never like throwing away electronics that have life in them, but if the reality is that is the fate, I can hold onto it until the next e-waste recycling.
Unfortunately, D* never set up anything like the DIRT team for DISH with Scott.

If it were me, as the owners of the equipment (not you) I'd call D* to confirm once again, just to make sure, because they could charge $400 for not returning equipment ... so I always call a second time to confirm.

If you see the former renters, I'd give them to them to dispose of, they should not have dumped them on you.

Otherwise, you can toss them and if they needed to be returned, its not your equipment, D* WILL send them a bill, if it comes to them needing them back.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
No, no DIRT equivalent for DIRECTV ...

And I wouldn't take your former renters word for it either ...

You need to call DIRECTV and verify the status of those receivers yourself and have the Receiver ID numbers copied down as they may ask for them.

If for anything to make sure your rental unit's residence address remains in a good standing as a previous poster advised.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
You should return them to DirecTV. Otherwise your address might be in bad standing with DirecTV and you won't be able to get service there in the future until you pay off all fees.

Comcast does that. Not Directv.

Again If the tenants left in bad standing, I wouldn’t waste my time driving to the ups store.

Why call Directv and waste an hour on the phone giving card and serial numbers. You already know the boxes are leased and the people owe money to Directv.

It’s going to make no difference if you return those boxes because the people are still unlikely to pay their debt to Directv.

If you want to be nice, drop them off at the ups store and they will box them and return to Directv.

Comcast does that. Not Directv.

Again If the tenants left in bad standing, I wouldn’t waste my time driving to the ups store.

Why call Directv and waste an hour on the phone giving card and serial numbers. You already know the boxes are leased and the people owe money to Directv.

It’s going to make no difference if you return those boxes because the people are still unlikely to pay their debt to Directv.

If you want to be nice, drop them off at the ups store and they will box them and return to Directv.
Unless things have changed, Directv does indeed flag addresses that have a history of payment issues.

Unless things have changed, Directv does indeed flag addresses that have a history of payment issues.
Which is just plain stupid ...
That type of thing should go with the person, why should a bad crdit or lack of payment be held to a loction, its the person that didn't pay it, not the location.

That would be like if i had bad credit, I move to another house and my credit is no longer bad ...

Reactions: Jillian2 and Justy5
Which is just plain stupid ...
That type of thing should go with the person, why should a bad crdit or lack of payment be held to a loction, its the person that didn't pay it, not the location.

That would be like if i had bad credit, I move to another house and my credit is no longer bad ...
Your credit is still bad. Directv is just CYA.

Since when?

Been in the business 20 years never seen an address flagged or blocked.

See it all the time with Comcast and spectrum
You miss a lot. I've read several reports of people moving into places where previous tenants had stiffed Directv and couldn't get service because of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)