Receivers With Fluctuating Quality Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
I have a very weird problem with my setup. When I turn on Receiver "A" and Receiver "B" and both with signals from the same transponder, and polarity the quality is fine. But If I shut off Receiver A, Quality drops to near zero on Receiver B, and sometimes vice versa. If I turn on Receiver A, again quality pops backup. It doesn't matter what Brand of Receiver being used in any of the locations. So for me to watch TV in the location with Receiver B, Receiver A has to be on. I have changed switches, connectors, barrels, and the issue still persists.

One of the receivers has to provide power to the lnb. I imagine the way you have everything hooked up, only receiver A can supply power. In that case, when you turn off A, there is nothing to power the lnb. Can you diagram on paper how your receivers are connected to your dish?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: madmadworld
One of the receivers has to provide power to the lnb. I imagine the way you have everything hooked up, only receiver A can supply power. In that case, when you turn off A, there is nothing to power the lnb. Can you diagram on paper how your receivers are connected to your dish?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the SatelliteGuys app!
Both receivers have LNB power Turned "ON".

Sorry for the delay in providing the diagram. Its been a little more busy than usual. See attached document.
Satellite Setup Diagram.jpg

You are showing that you are using four 4x1 switches . You should only need two between 4 lnbf's.
It is that way because, I have the dishes located on various areas on my property and the cables enter into house from two opposite points of the house. Should that cause a problem as I indicated in my first post?

Nowhere did I see where you could run just one receiver without any problem. How many lines do you have coming into the house ? I would get one receiver to where it would work and switch good before adding a second receiver. If one receiver wouldn't work by itself the way you have it wired I would try moving the 22k switches to the dish . Then use the disque switch where the 22k is now.

Nowhere did I see where you could run just one receiver without any problem. How many lines do you have coming into the house ? I would get one receiver to where it would work and switch good before adding a second receiver. If one receiver wouldn't work by itself the way you have it wired I would try moving the 22k switches to the dish . Then use the disque switch where the 22k is now.
The Dishes were added at different times. Both C-Band motorized and KU motorized come in from one side and the KU at 103.0°W and 30.0°W run into the sadoun switches outside and then two cables from there go into the 22khz 2x1 swtich.

Further testing seems to indicate that the issue is only present on the Vertical side of C-Band signals, and limited to certain vertical frequencies.

I wonder what your voltage is at the C-Band dish?

That is how you would check. Could be moisture in the line to, freezing and swelling and throwing the impedance out of whack.

That is how you would check. Could be moisture in the line to, freezing and swelling and throwing the impedance out of whack.
If that's the case, I'll have to wait until it gets warm.

If I remember right from reading the American forums, the Ecoda 22kHz switches have both diseqc through on both ports, and permanent power through on both ports.

So if there is a voltage issue, I would look at the ecoda switches, and maybe change them.

Does the problem also exist, if you check the two halves of your system, without the Ecoda switches?

Just a thought: If the problem is just at certain frequencies, I wonder if the ecoda switches also cause impedance mismatches at the unused and unterminated inputs at the diseqc switch at the 'not-chosen' port of the ecoda switch. Not sure if that could happen with these Ecoda switches, though.
Could you check and connect a DC-blocked terminator resistor there? (Or, for testing, a resistance of 1K, or a satellite beeper or so, and does the problem alter in that test?)
BTW. If in fact terminators are needed and used, in this setup you don't need the Ecoda switches anymore, but could change to simple splitters. :) (See for the parallel use of diseqc switches: https://www.sat4all.com/forums/topic/343724-parallel-schakelen-van-diseqc-switches/?p=2277533 , needed terminator resistors not shown in the pictures though)

If the Ecoda switches are responsible, I'm thinking about other alternatives as well, but that depends on the cabling possibilities to your two dish locations, and what switches you allready have lying aroud maybe....?
Edit: changing the Ecoda's for simple 2/1 diseqc1.0 switches would do the job, that is: if your receivers do diseqc repeat....

greetz,
A33

Reactions: Babadem
Short of going out in this freezing cold to mess with the lnbf, how do I determine that?
Your suggestions might be on the mark. I disconnected all the switches and then ran the suspect cable directly to the Receiver and the issue persisted.

I finally narrowed down the issue with the Titanium C2-PLL WideBand LNBf. I took the meter to the dish and only connected directly to the LNBf without switches. While one output sees this particular frequency and locks with a high SNR dB, the second output's, SNR dB fluctuates and doesn't lock the same frequency. Could it be that the LNBf is defective?

Are you connecting to only one port while testing or are both ports connected?

Is the problem resolved if the two switch coax cables are swapped between the two LNBF ports?

The original report would indicate that the issue is likely related to a reduced voltage using a non-powered multi-switch. The problems would probably be remedied by using a powered switch rather than a passive type.

It is certainly possible for one port block amplifier to have reduced performance at lower voltage or a defect. You may send it in for bench testing to determine if it is a defect. If so, it would be replaced under warranty.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts