Receiving Dish Network using DirecTV Dish and LNB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joelsholes

Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
All,

I am a Dish Network subscriber using a 322 dual tuner receiver and a Dish Network 500 dish (dual LNB setup) in Dallas, TX. I have purchased a dish mounting tripod and had an old RCA DirecTV Dish/single LNB that I would like to use as a portable setup when I travel with my 322 receiver. Should the DirecTV Dish/LNB work with my Dish Network receiver/service? Since this dish is a single LNB device, what should I set the dish to during the pointing/signal peaking process - Dish 300, 500? Also, which satellite (110 or 119) do I want to point at for programming like Fox Sports Southwest and Disney. I have tried a number of times to peak up this DirecTV dish connected to my 322 tuner without success. I should note that I know that the DirecTV Dish/LNB are functional as I have tested them at my brother's house using his DirecTV receiver/service. Any insight that you all can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel

Hi, welcome to sat guys!

Does the D* LNB have 2 outputs, because you need both hooked into the 322 for it to work.

Once you get it hooked up you'd need to run a check switch so it can clear out the old settings and recognize the LNB as a legacy. Then to peak you'd select Dish 300, 119 to set it up.

Also remember that the 322 will need to be hooked into the phone line so it can call in on it's billing date. I'm not sure if it will still count when it's not coming from it's account phone number, but just something to expect...

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. The D* LNB does have two outputs. I have not been hooking them both up, so as you suggest I will do that. Also, I don't think that my Dish 500 system has any switch mechanism unless it is integral to the LNB or Dish arm. Does this seem reasonable and will I need a switch to properly run the D* LNB. What is the purpose of the two outputs on the LNB? Is this to receive from two different satellites simultaneously? I have a DISEQC switch that I use with a FTA receiver. Is this the type of switch to use or do I need the Dish SW21 type?

Joel

When I mentioned a check switch I was talking about on the point dish screen in the menu you need to select check switch.

The two outputs on a single LNB lets you hook up 2 receivers to that single LNB, but in the case of the 322 you need to take those two outputs and run a cable to each input of the 322 since it is a dual tuner.

Bryan,

I connected the two outputs of the LNB to the two inputs of the 322 tuner and performed a "Check Switch" test. It ran 38 tests on each of the two inputs and at the conclusion appeared to give a failure message with "X" in each of the two inputs. This LNB was previously tested on a DirecTV service, but with only one of its outputs. I guess it is possible that the other output is bad on the LNB? The results screen appeared to declare both channels bad. Is there any other reason that this LNB would not work properly with the 322 tuner?

Thanks again,
Joel

The "X" is perfectly fine. It will stay that way until you peak the dish. Once you peak the dish and get it locked onto 119, you'll run the test again and the X will change to OK

Now working

Bryan,

Following your instructions, I have successfully locked and peaked 119. I have experimented with this now a number of times in the past without success and realized I should stop guessing at how this works and ask people who are intimately familiar with these systems. Thank you very much for your help and your prompt responses. By the way, I did not see my local channels. Are those broadcast off of 110?

Joel

A single is an LNB for 1 satellite, has 1 output.
A dual is an LNB for 1 satellite, has 2 outputs. Joel's DirecTV dish has a dual.
Dish 500 can come with 2 singles (rare) or 2 duals connected to SW21(s) or other switch, or with the Twin which is a wide housing containing 2 LNBs and a switch. Dish 500 does not have "a dual" - it is either "2 duals" or "a Twin."
joelsholes said:
What is the purpose of the two outputs on the LNB?
It is for connecting 2 receivers (or 1 dual tuner model) directly to the LNB. The LNB will output odd or even transponders depending on the voltage supplied to it. This allows one tuner to get an odd while the other gets an even. For more than 2 receivers, a standard multiswitch is used. The multiswitch will lock one LNB output to odd and the other to even so that any connected receiver can get any channel. This will work for a single satellite installation for D* or E*. Most E* subs need more than 1 satellite slot so must use E's proprietary legacy switches or DishPro switches.

Trying to use dish network 301 with DIRECTV dish

BFG said:
The "X" is perfectly fine. It will stay that way until you peak the dish. Once you peak the dish and get it locked onto 119, you'll run the test again and the X will change to OK

I followed the instructions in this prior set of posts regarding using a Dish Network 322 with and old RCA Directv dish and LNB. This is as far as I got successfully. I am trying to use a Directv dish and LNB that was used with a Sony receiver. I believe the manufacturer is TERK. It is a dual LNB model. The Sony receiver still can get a signal from DIRECTV although I am no longer a subscriber. I have not repointed the dish although it seemed the specifications on where to point was very similar between the two systems. I am getting no signal. I am in the Nashville, TN area. Is it possible to use this combination and get it to work? If yes, what do I need to do? If not, what will I need to get it to work. I also have at my disposal another single LNB that originally came with my first Sony receiver. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, welcome to satelliteguys!

assuming you did a check switch and it has 1 slot with an X. I guess what you're stuck on is just peaking the dish onto 119.

The best peaking steps I can give are:
Have your azmuith and elevation settings for a dish 300 (use the point dish screen and put in your zip code)
With a compass by the dish get it roughly in the area. and set the elevation in the rough spot.
Now you'll either need to have some relay the signal on the receiver with a phone, or where you can still hear the tone on the reciever.
What you want to do is turn the dish back and forth until the receiver locks and move it slightly until it is peaked at the highest signal, then tighten it down.
Then loosen the elevation bolts and move the dish slightly up and down until the signal gets even higher, and then tighten that down.

I also use a direct dual LNB dish for camping, I have legacy stuff at home, so when we arrive, just find 11, do a check switch on both receivers taken from and and instant portable dish.

Please, no " is that camping comments"

Repointed (peaked) my dish

I have sucessfully peaked my old directv Satellite and I am getting a good signal. Does using the old legacy LNB from DIRECTV limit the satellites. What I seem to be getting now is 119. I am looking to be able to receive Turner South (Braves games not carried by local cable) which seems to be on 110. Will I have a problem doing this? If no, do I have to change the pointing of the satellite from what I currently have that definitely successfully receives 119?

Thanks

I guess one question is whether Direct TV's dishes are designed to point to 2 satellites at one time. Then, if so, if they can and are pointed to receive both Dish's satellites.

Remember that Dish needed to make a change when they went from the Dish 300 to the Dish 500, since the 300 could only access 1 satellite at a time.

your directv only picks up one satellite. whatever satellite you point it at, that's the satellite you pick up, if the station you want is on 110, point the dish at 110. your legacy lnb isn't limiting anything but your cable run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)