Recent problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GadgetRick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Near NYC
Alright, this is sort of a message with questions and sort of a message for me to gripe a little. Gotta get it off my chest.

Been Vooming for over a year, not the most senior Voomer but certainly not a junior Voomer. I've been through a few changes--all for the good (except the price increase :)). I've got no problem dealing with many of the minor issues we've had to deal with over the last year (and more for some of you). However, recently, I've just been not overly thrilled with what I'm getting from Voom.

Now, let me clarify this. I'm not unhappy with Voom programming, in fact, I love the programming I'm getting. Other than a little sports, I have everything I want/need from Voom. I need to stop watching so many sports anyway... :)

What I'm unhappy with is the fact that many of the SD movie channels still look like I'm watching a movie through a screen door. Now, I understand this is a compression issue but it's horrible. There are many movie channels I will not even watch because it's so distracting to view a movie this way. Just last night I was watching, "A Bronx Tale," on Cinemax and, although the whole movie wasn't bad, there were parts which were looking pretty bad. One other time earlier in the summer last year I tried watching, "The Big Red One," on AMAX (I believe) and I had to turn it off because it was so bad. And that's one of my alltime favorite WWII movies.

I've not posted this before but I've read posts to this effect in the past so I'm guessing many of you may be experiencing the same things. It's probably not noticable to some of you as I know many of you watch only HD channels. Well I watch (mainly) HD channels but sometimes there's just nothing I want to watch on those channels so I'm forced to view SD channels. Anyway, are any of you still seeing this?

Also, I KNOW we've all complained about the sparklies on many channels (History Channel and Comedy Central seem to be the worst). We've been told Voom is working on this (for months) but the sparklies are still there. Anyone have any knowledge of whether Voom might decide to fix this problem?

Recently my original stb seems to have failed. I can no longer receive Food Network or HGTV (was receiving them just fine). I'm now getting an Access Code error and after a few calls to Voom tech support they say they must replace the STB. So I decided to install an additional receiver for the $49 deal they offered us. The guy shows up with an STB for the new install but not for the other one. This STB does not work either.

My complaint is I now have two defective STBs. At least the one in my home theater works (except for Food Network and HGTV) but the additional one does not work at all. Tells me it is not authorized. After numerous tries with Voom hitting the box it still doesn't work. Now I've got to have someone else come out. Anyone else seen these two problems?

On the surface, each problem is fairly minor, however, when I'm looking at the whole picture I have to ask myself, is this worth $100 a month? Until now, I've always been able to say to myself it's worth $100 a month but I'm starting to wonder. The only thing keeping me with Voom (honestly) is DTV doesn't have what I want, Dish doesn't have what I want and the cable company does not either. Voom is 99% of what I want but I'm growing weary of the problems I've been having (won't go into the OTA issues)--most of which are Voom's fault.

Ok, sorry for bringing everyone down.

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
The guy shows up with an STB for the new install but not for the other one. This STB does not work either.
Those two channels (HGTV and FOOD) use new NDS access control which is supported starting with software version 7.26. That new box most likely came with an earlier version. As soon as the software is updated (overnight) the channels will show up. Check the Nep. version number (press HELP - INFO).

Not the problem

I was receiving Food/HGTV until the other day when I called. The stb software has been updated. I don't know what all of the numbers are but it looks like the version is 7.26. This is my old stb.

The new stb just doesn't work. It gives me a message saying, "Voom is not authorized." Problem is we got this message when the installer was out, he called Voom about it, nothing was working. They gave us the, "Wait 20 minutes spiel." The installer left. I only let him leave because I was already late to go somewhere else myself (it was New Year's Eve and I was late to go to my buddy's). I called Voom back myself and they tried hitting the box a couple of times but nothing seems to work.

Any other thoughts? I can check the other numbers on the old stb when I get home and post.

As always, thanks. And thanks for listening to me cry a little... :)

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
Any other thoughts? I can check the other numbers on the old stb when I get home and post.
First, check the signal level. Do you get the green light on the box? Authorization will only work if the signal is strong enough (green light).
Second, turn off the STB and remove the smart card. Reinsert it and call VOOM to send another hit. See if this helps.
Good luck!

Duh!

I'm getting a signal (I'm guessing) as I watched the screen as Voom was sending their info down during installation (watching the counter go up). I'll have to try removing the card and reinserting it. I tried this with my Food/HGTV problem downstairs to no avail. It's also a pain in the arse to get that card out for someone (like me) with big fingers!

Thanks again.

The Rickster

Not Authorized

I read all of the notes concerning this problem and feel compelled to ask: did you do a hard boot?, that is, unplugging the stb, waiting for thirty seconds and then plugging it back in? It's worth a try. Also not sure where you live, sometimes weather can delay download of hits. You may also want to give Installs Inc a call too, Installation is not complete if you aren't receiving voom on that receiver and did not get the replacement receiver.

GadgetRick said:
...I watched the screen as Voom was sending their info down during installation (watching the counter go up).
That probably was a software update?!! Have it ever completed? It was supposed to take 20-30 minutes...

Hey, "The Rickster",

I saw a posting in the last week that had the same problem with a new STB. After they (customer and installer, I believe) called and demanded to talk to a CSR supervisor they found that the STBs weren't "authorized" for that installer (yeh, new to me as well). Some code was downloaded to authorize the new STBs (3, I think) and they all worked.

Hope this helps.

Still watching HDTV via VOOM (since 12-12-03) under very clear cold Seattle skies, Gill

Hmm...

Where to start...

Yes, the csr told the installer on the phone they were doing a download and to wait for 20-30 minutes. This was when I had to let the installer go because I had to go (he was late to begin with). When I got home (the next day) I still had the same problem.

I don't think weather was a problem but I couldn't say for sure. I'm guessing it should try again if it can't complete the download. Besides, when I called Voom the next day they tried sending another hit to no avail.

I hadn't heard about the stb not being authorized for that installer. That's something to look into. Of course, last night, I got home to work with it again and my set (a Sony 27" Wega) is not allowing me to change inputs (I also have basic DTV for Sun Tick) so I was unable to work with it. The Sony problem is an annoying thing as I've never had a problem with the set before. I didn't feel like switching inputs in the back last night--besides, I have to figure out what's wrong with the TV, too. :::sigh:::

Oh, as far as my other stb goes, I do have 7.26 but I don't remember what the other versions were (should have written them down). Had a rough day yesterday and nothing worked out the way it should have.

Thanks.

The Rickster

Regarding the 2nd problem that no one else has responded to----The SD premium movie channel's picture quality is really rotten. If it's not HD, I don't even attempt to watch. Wish they would sharpen up and unstretch these channels so there would be more decent choice of movies. A few of the SD channels such as HGTV and USA look really good. Would be nice if the movie channels were of this quality. Not really complaining---just confirming GadgetRick's observation.

Have you changed the resolution?

My SD looked like crap but the box was set for "Native" Resolution. HD was great but SD sucked. When I changed the box to all 1080i, the sd channels looked a lot better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)