recent TiVo convert question...how does the dish DVR handle extra time?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dkh7m

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
with the TiVo, if a show ran, say, an hour and four minutes, it would automatically pick up the extra time in the schedule. does the dish DVR do the same thing? i was just watching Heroes, and it cut out about a minute too soon. i'm not sure if the clock is off or what, but i just wanted to confirm.

regardless, i set all my shows to run 5 minutes long by default. i guess any shows that overlap will clip the beginning, based on priority?

with the TiVo, if a show ran, say, an hour and four minutes, it would automatically pick up the extra time in the schedule. does the dish DVR do the same thing? i was just watching Heroes, and it cut out about a minute too soon. i'm not sure if the clock is off or what, but i just wanted to confirm.

regardless, i set all my shows to run 5 minutes long by default. i guess any shows that overlap will clip the beginning, based on priority?

Pad everything yourself (manually). 2 minutes usually for scripted shows (Heroes, Grey's Anatomy etc..) does the trick. For sports add at least an 1 and a half minimum.

If the program guide says 9:00pm to 10:05pm, it will record just that. If it says it ends at 10:00 but really runs until 10:04, you'll miss (4) minutes.

By default, Dish DVR timers are set for (1) minute early start and (3) minutes late endings.

thanks. i couldn't backtrack to see if heroes was scheduled in the PG to go over. i know most 1 hour dramas do that nowadays, but i wasn't sure if the dish guide was as accurate as the tivo guide was when it came to "extra time" shows. personally, i hate the practice, but i guess with the writer's strike still going strong, pretty soon it'll all be reruns anyway.

Heroes is one that they are "inaccurate" with. That's NBC, I mean, not the DVR or guide. NBC does list it as going over by 3-4 minutes but it typically goes over 1-2 minutes longer than they say. LOTS of people at AVS Forums in the "Heroes" thread miss the last minute or so when they forget to adjust the timer !

with the TiVo, if a show ran, say, an hour and four minutes, it would automatically pick up the extra time in the schedule.
If the show is in the guide to run long, it will be recorded long unless their is a conflict.
i was just watching Heroes, and it cut out about a minute too soon.
Is there a chance that you recorded some other program back-to-back with Heroes?
i guess any shows that overlap will clip the beginning, based on priority?
Usually, the end will be clipped. The timing is only as good as the guide information and that seems to be an increasing problem.

The clock on your receiver should be very accurate.

If the show is in the guide to run long, it will be recorded long unless their is a conflict.
That depends. If the earlier show was scheduled first, it will have a higher priority, and the 2nd show will simply be skipped (by conflict). It will record the extra time from the first show.

If you have two shows set to record back to back. And the first show is configured to record 3 extra minutes. How is that handled? Will the DVR record that 3 minutes into both programs, will the second program start 3 minutes late, or will the pad be ignored if programs are back to back?

I had Heroes and Journeyman back to back and also noticed about a minute clipped off of Heroes. Nothing missed really, but still makes me curious.

The "pad" time doesn't apply (it's ignored ?) when recordings are scheduled back-to-back (on the same channel). We have to watch the first few minutes of Journeyman to see the end of Heroes (even though Heroes has 5-minutes padded).

In general, the DVR will NEVER start recording a show "late". If it has to, it will simply skip it, by priority. You can't even force it to start late.

I was happy to see that after a power failure, the 722 immediately started recording again. It was separated as two separate items, but at least I only missed the few minutes for the box to reboot.

Apparently 2 large flat panel TV's, two receivers, and two space heaters on once circuit is too much.... :D

We have a Scientific-Atlanta (8000, 8000HD, and 8300HD) DVR that did the same. I presume when they power back up, they check their schedule and say "ooooh, I'm supposed to be recording channel 'a' right now" and start.

I leave the default of start 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late. Still I miss up to a minute of the end of most shows. The Dish dvr timer of 1 hour and 3 minute is not very accurate. Most shows end on time and still the Dish DVR misses the last minute even with 3 minutes of padding. I believe that if you timed the show, it would only be 1 hour.

Check the time on your DVR. Check the time here, What time is it? .

I just checked mine and it's reading the same time on both (granted, the atomic clock breaks down the actual time much more).

I can't imagine how you think the DVR's timer isn't accurate. And you say a show ends "on time", as in at 10:00, the timer will continue recording until 10:03, and you still say you miss the end of a show ? No way.... That is, unless the network starts/ends the show at times other than they say in the guide. If they do, all we can do is pad the timers *more*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)