Reception Help

jtrippe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Wetumpka, Alabama
I'm moving to zip 36092. I looked at antennaweb and it looks like my CBS and Fox are pretty far apart. I need some help on getting the best reception with what I currently have: Channel Master 4228, CM 7777, LG 4200A HDTV receiver, Dish VIP211, Terk HDTVi indoor antenna. I'm moving to this new house at the end of March and can't add any extra equipment at this point. I cannot mount the antenna outside. Here's what I was considering: The CM 4228 with the 7777 attached in the attic to get NBC, ABC, PBS and Fox. I'll attach the 4228 to the LG 4200A. CBS has a pretty good signal so I would use the indoor antenna on it. The VIP211 does not get the local fox for some reason but the LG does. (I currently live at 36117 and have tested it. It's not a reception issue.) Do I have the right idea to get the best reception? I appreciate any help or advice. Also, I'm running the OTA feed to five outlets. Is there a good splitter(inexpensive) that doesn't affect the signal? Thanks in advance for the input.

WSFA-DT 12.1 NBC MONTGOMERY AL 178° 42.0 14
WBIH-DT 29 IND SELMA AL 268° 36.8 29
WAIQ-DT 26.1 PBS MONTGOMERY AL 201° 14.5 27
WNCF-DT 32.1 ABC MONTGOMERY AL 193° 15.0 51
WAKA-DT 8.1 CBS SELMA AL 230° 44.6 55
WCOV-DT 20.1 FOX MONTGOMERY AL 197° 17.6 16

The CBS station is 44.6 miles and your getting it on the indoor antenna?? Not sure why you would have a problem with FOX, the fcc shows them at nearly 3,000kw erp. The only thing you may need to do is try and re-point the 4228 a little in the attic, (rotor). Why "cannot mount the antenna outside"?? There are rules that allow you to do this. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

More Questions

Sorry it took me so long to respond again. I've been pretty busy with work. The attic mount is not doable for me because of the wife. She won't allow it. As an attorney, I'm fully aware of the FCC regs. We're already putting up a dish and I had to work for that. It's a new house in a new neighborhood and it's just not aesthetically appealing. So my question is this: with the 4228 and 7777 will I be able to pick up all stations without a rotor? (adding a rotor is not a financial option right now b/c there are other new house expenses). If not, which station(s) should i try to get on the indoor antenna? I'm trying to use the LG 4200A for all of the channels, analog and digital so if, for example, Fox and NBC are too far apart for thier digital signals and one is the problem, I could use the indoor antenna to get it. (I would attatch the Terk to the Vip211-for some reason the 211 does not pick up the local fox-it's a problem for other people too). I was thinking that actually NBC and Fox were far apart and could use the indoor antenna for NBC. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions. So, without a rotor and an attic mount, what is the best setup for me? I'm using a Moster low-loss splitter to split the signal. Thanks again for any help.

the best you can do is try to receive signal with what you have.

the cm7777 may overload your system since you have several stations rather close.

try to find a signal sweetspot when you aim to receive as many signals as you can.

I am not going to speculate the success with the trek hdtvi...try it and see what happens. If it does not work you may need to split signal from the main antenna.

There is a problem with certain transmitters and Dish VIP receivers. May be the problem with FOX. You might look at your DMA's local site (Montgomery, AL.) on the AVSForum, there may be other people having trouble with FOX, just like you.

Thank you

Thanks for the replies. I'll put it up and I'll see what I get. I guess you really don't know until you try it. I've talked to other people in my DMA and they are experiencing the same problems with the local Fox and VIP receivers. I get fox just fine on my LG 4200A. I'll post an update when everything is up and running.

Sorry it took me so long to respond again. I've been pretty busy with work. The attic mount is not doable for me because of the wife. She won't allow it. .

Sometimes this is the hardest obstacle to overcome getting good tv reception!!

CM 4228 picks up VHF stations but not UHF

I'm not moved in my new house in 36092 yet but the builder let me install the antenna. I put a 4228 on a tripod in the attic. I took a little tv with me to test which stations I would receive (analog). The only thing I got was the VHF NBC and CBS. CBS was a little grainy and NBC was perfect. I couldn't get any UHF stations. I think I hooked everything up correctly. I moved the antenna all around and even tried my CM 7777 with it. Nothing! Anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me? I've heard this happen b/f but I forgot where I saw the fix.

First I would suggest putting the Antenna outside. I know you don't want to here that, but you may have No choice. Second all the Digital channels in Montgomery are on UHF, none are on VHF. The NBC WSFA DT is on channel 14, but the stations PSIP shows it as channel 12.1, the CBS WAKA DT is on channel 55, but the stations PSIP shows it as 8.1. I see no reason for you not to get any of these Mongomery channels. I live in Lizella, Georgia (just outside of Macon) and under ideal atmospheric conditions have gotten WSFA (on 12.1, 12.2), WBIH (on 29.1), WNCF (on 32), WAKA (on 55.3, 55.4, 55.5).

Al

First I would suggest putting the Antenna outside. I know you don't want to here that, but you may have No choice. Second all the Digital channels in Montgomery are on UHF, none are on VHF. The NBC WSFA DT is on channel 14, but the stations PSIP shows it as channel 12.1, the CBS WAKA DT is on channel 55, but the stations PSIP shows it as 8.1. I see no reason for you not to get any of these Mongomery channels. I live in Lizella, Georgia (just outside of Macon) and under ideal atmospheric conditions have gotten WSFA (on 12.1, 12.2), WBIH (on 29.1), WNCF (on 32), WAKA (on 55.3, 55.4, 55.5).

Al

Thanks for the input. I realized that I did not change the tv setting from cable to antenna so I'll try to go back out tomorrow and test again. I'll post an update.

Results!

I was able to take my digital receiver and test out the CM 4228. I set it up in the attic on a tripod raised above the ac and any other obstructions. First, I hooked up my 7777 with not very good results. My next try I did not get CBS or ABC digital. I moved the antenna a couple of inches to SSW and, wow, the results were amazing. Here's what I get(I didn't test signal strengths but my LG 4200A locks in everything pretty nicely):

Analog:

WCOV Fox 20
WRJM MNTV 67(very poor reception though)
WMCF TBN 45
WNCF ABC 32
WAKA CBS 8
WSFA NBC 12
WFRZ FMN 34
WETU ION 39 (formerly Pax)
WBMM CW 22
WAIQ PBS 26

All of these are pretty clear with the exception of channel 67. It's right in the middle but it's really fuzzy. I get PBS 10 out of B'ham but it's fuzzy.

Digital:

WSFA NBC 12.1 and two subs
WNCF ABC 32.1
WAKA CBS 8.1 and two subs
WCOV Fox 20.1 and 1 sub
WAIQ PBS 26.1 and 3 subs
WMCF TBN 45.1 and 4 subs

The only digital I can't get is WBIH 29. It's pretty much an info-mercial channel so I don't care.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not moved in my new house in 36092 yet but the builder let me install the antenna. I put a 4228 on a tripod in the attic. I took a little tv with me to test which stations I would receive (analog). The only thing I got was the VHF NBC and CBS. CBS was a little grainy and NBC was perfect. I couldn't get any UHF stations. I think I hooked everything up correctly. I moved the antenna all around and even tried my CM 7777 with it. Nothing! Anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me? I've heard this happen b/f but I forgot where I saw the fix.

You should have at least got this: WETU-LP 39 ION WETUMPKA AL 161° 3.3 39. It's only 3.5 miles from the zip center?? Is the uhf tuner in the tv you used ok? Is there separate vhf/uhf ant inputs on the tv?? Even the 2 uhf stations 12 miles out should have been picked up. Was this the NBC station you were getting? WSFA 12 NBC MONTGOMERY AL 178° 41.9 12, from 42 miles in the attic? If so than something is not right with the tv or your connections are incorrect.

You should have at least got this: WETU-LP 39 ION WETUMPKA AL 161° 3.3 39. It's only 3.5 miles from the zip center?? Is the uhf tuner in the tv you used ok? Is there separate vhf/uhf ant inputs on the tv?? Even the 2 uhf stations 12 miles out should have been picked up. Was this the NBC station you were getting? WSFA 12 NBC MONTGOMERY AL 178° 41.9 12, from 42 miles in the attic? If so than something is not right with the tv or your connections are incorrect.

See my post above. I was able to get everything. The tv was set to cable and I got everything by changing to off-air and moving the antenna. WSFA says it's 42 miles but the station is closer. I think antennaweb has it wrong. But, yes, that is the station that I got originally. It's a new house and there's no trees or anything in the way. I have the antenna raised above the ac unit and it's a wood frame house with standard shingles. I get all of the stations, analog and digital, except for WBIH(an informercial digital channel) and MyNetwork(WRJM) TV is really fuzzy for some reason although it's in the middle of everything. Antennaweb identified that as one of the easiest to get too.

Good deal, Don't know how I missed the other post? Could swear it wasn't there when I replied. Sounds like it's going to work out for you in the attic.

More Info.

I'm going back to the house this weekend for the final setup. I'm going to split the signal to four rooms with a low signal loss splitter from Monster. Should I add the preamp in to make sure the signal stays strong and locks on good? Also, I can't get the MyNetwork 67 very well and I'm aimed right at it. Would the preamp help while not overloading everything?

try the cm7777 preamp and see what happens. only thing to look out for is overload. the first sign is the signal level will go down some and going up as you point away from the towers. if you look at old style analog pictures, look out for co-channel interference etc.

in regards to the monster 4 way splitter. The $5 splitter at lowes/home depot, ideal brand for example works just as good, please return the splitter and save yourself some money.

in splitters, bandwith of 5-1000 to 1500 mhz is plenty . 2250 mhzs for satellite. applications. with 3 way spliteers there are a few different versions.

I'm going back to the house this weekend for the final setup. I'm going to split the signal to four rooms with a low signal loss splitter from Monster. Should I add the preamp in to make sure the signal stays strong and locks on good? Also, I can't get the MyNetwork 67 very well and I'm aimed right at it. Would the preamp help while not overloading everything?

As Rick said try the preamp and hopefully it won't overlaod. My Network has their construction permit for DT channel 48, after 2009 they won't be on 67 any more. The gain on the 8bay cm your using rolls off up that high also. The 4 bay (cm4221)has better gain up there (ch 67). If the reception is better on 67 with the 7777 but overloads on other channels you could try The Winegard HDP-269, or try the 4bay 4221 with the 7777 as the 4221 has lower gain at the lower uhf channels. May sound like alot to go thru for just a couple more years of reception, just putting it out there.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try on Saturday and see what happens. At least I know I can get all of the other stations. I've heard that 67 will hold out until the deadline to go digital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts