Reception issues on 129

ifallsguy

Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
We have upgraded from a 921 to 942 (owned both) to 622. That means we have to be able to see 129, which is literally on the edge of window of trees off the property. When the wind blows, we get freeze/breakup.

The installer and I tried to work the math and if we could raise the dish about 24 inches, we would clear the blowing obstruction, we think. However Dish only makes a 3 ft post (and the shorter version). The Dish is at the highest point with a view of all three satellites. I've come up with an extension (muffler pipe expanded to fit over Dish post) and then drilled to take the dish mount.

Has anyone had experience using an extension to clean up their signal? And how did you do it?

I've rigged plenty of masts to extend to how long I need them to be (you should see the Direct TV Slimline mount that I wrigged into a 4 foot long Dish Network mast)... and we have "Pole Mounts" which are just galvanized steel poles (can be anywhere from 1 5/8" to 2" in diameter, although the 2 inchers are a pain in the ass) which are actually approved by Dish Network "engineers".... so no, rigging a pole shouldn't be a problem... ( remember though that trees eventually get taller... and wider....so in a few years you could be one of the people that come to this forum complaining that the Dish technicians keep telling you there is a tree in the way)

There is another option though, if you can't get it to work... we call it "The 2 Dish Solution".... basically you use a Dish 500 (or a 1000.2 if that's all you have) and put up a secondary Dish in a location that has clear Line of Sight, pointed at the 129 satellite(with a Dish Pro Dual LNBF) and run a line from that second dish to the IN point on the Dish 500 (assuming you have a Dish Pro Plus Twin or 1000.2 LNBF). The internal switch in the Dish Pro Plus LNBF combines that signal and sends it down the one cable to your receiver(s)

If you ARE going to rig a pole mount, be sure to keep in mind that the technician needs to be able to safely get his head and hands to the actual Dish.... he can't properly point a Dish from below...

Last edited:
We did look at putting up a wing dish, but the point we are at on the garage is the only chance to see 129. I'd love to see those tress moved or trimmed, but that isn't going to happen.

So from your experience, a properly aimed and mounted dish, on an extension, shouldn't have issues with wind.

Thanks

We did look at putting up a wing dish, but the point we are at on the garage is the only chance to see 129. I'd love to see those tress moved or trimmed, but that isn't going to happen.

So from your experience, a properly aimed and mounted dish, on an extension, shouldn't have issues with wind.

Thanks

Correct..... if you have wind issues because of the length of the extension you could fashion some struts to support it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)