reception problem

oldtimer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
I have a dish 500 with an older model receiver sd, sat110=95+signal,
sat 119=105+ signal, all cables tight however I get pixeling on channels
230(TBS), 108(lifetime)109(LMN) and those only, no one can seem to answer this, any ideas.?

You need to give the readings for transponders 11 and 12 for both 110 and 119. While you are at it, post the readings for transponders 13 and 14 from 119. Those channels that are pixelating are coming from those transponders.

It is possible that there is corrosion in one of the connectors. Have you checked the connectors outside?

119-11=108
119-12=103
119-13=105
119-14=101

110-11=93
110-12=88

cannot find any corrosion on outside cables.

Those are pretty good signals. One more thing I forgot to ask you, what kind of LNB's do you have? Any switches involved? You could swap cables and see if the problem moves to the 110.

dish pro twin lnb, running one cable off the 119 side I will switch cable see
what that does. I did run a switch check on receiver, ok.

Thanks for the help.

Reception problems

First of all, thanks to all the good people, who take their time to help.
I live in Central Texas, got a superdish, mainly because of channel 725 and 726 (2 german channels on Sat.121), a switch Dish Pro 34, one receiver 811 and one 921 (since yesterday-before a 522).
The switch test and the receiption seems to work better on the 921 (on Sat 121) than it did on the 522.- because even with the same "strength" of about 44 - I am reveiving at least one of the 2 channels most of the times.
Yes I am impressed about the very good service I receice from the tech people, who might already roll their eyes, when they get a service call to my house.
The dish has been reset, realligned, cables exchanged, switch exchanged, the dish has now even been moved and exchanged as well and still the receiption has never been above 46 - 48 (signal strength). There are no trees or any obstacles in the way
either.
My question is - does anybody have any idea, what else could be done to solve this problem - or is it something I have to live with ?
Please do NOT understand it as bashing the techs, they really tried everything - but just still not successfully. It seems to me, that the mainoffice at dishnetwork (in this case sbc-dishnetwork) is shying away to decide anything - until I either decide to cancel my service or just live with it.
Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

the 105 sat is a low-powered satellite, and it's harder to pull in. Make sure your 105 sat is plugged into port 1 on your DP34. A software upgrade has come out to pull in that low signal better. Make sure your software is up to date. Do you have much foliage behind your house

Matt, I'm getting 75-80 on 121 and also have German TV. With superdish there are three adjustments azimuth (compass position), elevation (angle of height) and skew (tilt angle). Have you tried all of them in the order quoted. Also how are the signal levels for 110 and 119 if they're low it got to alignment problem because it sounds like you tried everything else.

oldtimer,

You said you have an old receiver, what's the model? The reason I said swap the cables was because I thought you had a legacy LNB and swapping cables might have helped troubleshoot the problem. You have a DP Twin so it's only one cable per receiver.

Can you run a new cable from the LNB to the receiver?

RandallA said:
oldtimer,

You said you have an old receiver, what's the model? The reason I said swap the cables was because I thought you had a legacy LNB and swapping cables might have helped troubleshoot the problem. You have a DP Twin so it's only one cable per receiver.

Can you run a new cable from the LNB to the receiver?

Receiver is a 2700 model, the twin lnb does have two fittings my line is connect to the 119 side, I'm guessing a switch is inside that changes
from 110-119(?).
I have checked all areas I can think of my next shot would be a new
cable (Rg6), however due to signal strength I doubted this was problem.

Pixelation problems could also be caused by bad cable or bad connectors. You are not using a barrel connector anywhere along that run, are you?
Also, are you sure the LNB is a DP Twin? It should have the DP logo on it. You have a legacy receiver and you can't use a DP LNB unless you use a DP Legacy Adapter.

oldtimer try a new Legacy Twin or 2 legacy singles and an sw21. could be a bad lnb, connectors, etc. is it intermittent, certain times of the day?
Matt: are there any overhead power lines, wireless internet repeaters, tornado siren horns, or cell towers relatively close to you. The FSS are a low powered linear signal that can be disrupted by EMI, microwave signals such as Wifi, emergency alert systems, airports, etc. are there any of these fairly close to you or in the LOS

RandallA said:
Pixelation problems could also be caused by bad cable or bad connectors. You are not using a barrel connector anywhere along that run, are you?
Also, are you sure the LNB is a DP Twin? It should have the DP logo on it. You have a legacy receiver and you can't use a DP LNB unless you use a DP Legacy Adapter.

I do have one barel connecter near receiver short run of 5 ft cable.

I have the 2700 receiver without an adapter which tells me I must have
the legacy LNB, so if I upgrade to an 811 receiver I will need to change
LNB to DP twin,(I'm new and learning).

oldtimer,

I would run a new RG6 cable directly to the receiver from the LNB, no barrel connectors. If that doesn't fix the problem, it might be your LNB. If you are going to upgrade your receiver to a 811, buy a DP Twin LNB. Remember that the 2700 won't work with a DP Twin unless you use a Legacy adapter.

joshschuler said:
the 105 sat is a low-powered satellite, and it's harder to pull in. Make sure your 105 sat is plugged into port 1 on your DP34. A software upgrade has come out to pull in that low signal better. Make sure your software is up to date. Do you have much foliage behind your house
Wrong. DP34 should have 119/110/105 - IN THAT ORDER.

Read the ENTIRE installation procedure in the manual, not just the first half. :cool:

reg: Matt's Superdish troubles ....

Dear people who replied to my question regarding the problems I had with my Supersish !!
I t was a simple solution - which after weeks of questioning was finally solved.
When one installs a dish - using the tailgate seems to be very tempting - BUT - it is benting the dish and makes it impossible to set it up right.
The VERY helpful and friendly dish techs came ( I don't know if it a good idea to mention names - so I just say the one who is working in the Belton, Temple - Tx Area. He didn't even touch the tripod,, all he did was changing the reflector, which was bent (nobody seemed to believe me before) and all peaked as it supposed to be !
So thanks again for all your input!
Matt :)

All these numbers and model numbers and weird abbreviations and all this complicated stuff is not needed if you had cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts