Reception problem

Brct203

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
Connecticut
Hello folks,

One of my friends has a 10ft C-band dish that has been working reasonably well until a few weeks ago. Now he's seeing signal quality jump all over the place, with very difficult reception on channels that used to be fine.

It's happening on most satellites but there's a clear pattern: the higher in the sky, the better the reception is (it was almost flawless on 91W, and 127W was the worst (that is about the range he can see from his location). 125W was noticeably better than 127W but still mostly unwatchable. At times it's working fine, and at times even "easy" channels like ShopHQ on 125W are all pixelated.

his LNBF is a titanium C238, with one port that has suffered what looks like lightning damage. we tried another 5G-filtered LNBF with similar results. So I don't think the LNBF is the culprit.

we also tried several cables and several receivers, without seeing any difference.

there is possibly a slight obstruction by the corner of the roof of the house. No trees in the way. Suburban residential setting, a few miles from a larger city (in the opposite direction), and with a smaller city/large town right in front of the dish when pointing to 125w or 127W.

This is in Connecticut, so 127W is quite low on the horizon, at about 18 degrees elevation.

I used my SDR with RTLSDR Scanner to get a spectrum scan (understanding that the RTL SDR has its own limitation and can be easily overwhelmed by interferences). This is what we saw:

127W C vert NGT.png

for comparison, when scanning from my own location, about 20 miles from there, this is what I get (with C2-PLL LNBF, a Diseqc switch and a lot more cable length, and aiming trough tree branches). My location is more rural.

127W C vert BKF.png

My suspicion is on 5G interference but I'm not seeing any outrageous signal in the 1350-1450 part of the L-Band spectrum...

thoughts? Any suggestions on what to try next?

thanks