reception problems with Wash DC/Haggerstown MD locals

dfecarter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Connecticut
I have a DIsh subscription and dish aimed at 119W and 110W and just moved to WASH DC, and yes I am well within the spotbeam. The problem is, of the 14 locals I'm supposed to be getting I am only able to receive 8 of them! And maybe it doesn't mean anything but the ones I can get in are the SD signals and all of the of actual WASH DC don't come in!
Can anyone tel me which Sats the dish needs to be aimed at to get the rest of the Wash DC stations. And the go get the HD channels.
The Dishchannel chart is saying I should be able to get in all of the SD versions of the chs., but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I may need to put up another seperate dish to tune in to 61.5 or 77 W sats.
Thanks!

We hereabouts are on EA for our locals. So you need to pick up 61.5 & 72. You MIGHT want 77 also, but probably not.

No need for or value from 110/119 anymore.

The Washington DC DMA, for HD customers, is Eastern Arc. You are not supposed to get a separate dish for 61.5 and 72.7, but rather get an upgrade an EA dish, and if necessary, another upgrade to HD receivers. Almost all channels on EA are mpeg-4, so SD receivers won't work.

Once you're converted to HD and EA, then you may notice there are no more SD locals when there is already an HD channel. I wish Dish would do this for ALL the SD duplicates!

Well I kind of want to keep a dish pointed to 119 so I can continue to receive a west coast feed through All American Directs but that may not be a prudent and cost efficient move. I do have an HD rec. VIP221 and do pull in a few HD channels but bery few and no locals.
So what is an EA dish?
And what if I just install another dish aimed at 61.5 , 72 or 77 and connect it to my other input on the original dish or use a switch box?
I just can't figure out why I can pull in the SD version of WJLA, WUSA,WDCW,WTTG,WDCA and WRC on 110 or 119. They appear on the dishchannel chart on this site? ( I do get in WETA,WVPY,WHAG,WNVC and a couple other non major network chs.)

So what is an EA dish?

"EA" stands for Eastern Arc (61.5/72.7/77), to distinguish it from the old original Western Arc (110/119/129). The EA dish is either a 1000.2EA (61.5/77) or the full 1000.4 (61.5/72.7/77).

And what if I just install another dish aimed at 61.5 , 72 or 77 and connect it to my other input on the original dish or use a switch box?

That should "work", but you need both 61.5 (for DC locals) and 72.7 for nationals. Doing this (I would guess) probably would not fix the issue below.

I just can't figure out why I can pull in the SD version of WJLA, WUSA,WDCW,WTTG,WDCA and WRC on 110 or 119.

I assume you meant to type "can't pull in the SD version"... I can't understand that either. Possibly your account has now been flagged as an EA account?

you're right...why I CAN'T
So if I just give up the 119W reception and move the dish east to get 61.5, 73, 77 I should be fine? I.E. I should be able to get all of the WASH DC locals in HD and the remained of my package less ch 908 SF NBC?
Thanks.

I have Eastern Arc with a wing dish on 110 - - thus it is very possible to have EA and still have a wing dish on 119.

I'm near Winchester VA and I'm fairly sure all the locals come off of 61.5 and most are in HD. Additionally, Dish does not broadcast sub-channels, thus if you want those, you would need OTA setup.

Hope it all works out.

You should be able to use a switch and get the 2 or 3 EA sats AND with a separate dish still get 119, IF you really want to. Two dishes should be no problem. After all, lots of folks add International programming off 118 to their WA or EA setup.

Thanks, very helpful...making much more sense to me now.
After talking to my next door neighbor (who has worked with satellite tv for some time now, FTA and Dish) I am leaning towards just moving my dish east and picking up the EA. Glad to hear I should be able to get the Wash DC locals in HD from 61.5. Really not work finding an additional dish doing to install and connecting them with whatever switch/ports might be necessary...all for 1 ch.

Can anyone tell me how up to date this site's Dishchannel list is? It's freakin me out!
It lists most of the Wash DC locals as being broadcasted in SD on 110, with a few on 119. Like I said, I get the 8 or so on 119 in SD but zero of the 110 ones?!
Have the rest (the HD) been relocated to 61.5 or 72 or 77 now? I don't see them on this website's list.
If I move my dish to the Eastern Arc will I still find the 119 channels such as WHAG on the EA?
Am so confused, lol!

Thanks, very helpful...making much more sense to me now.
After talking to my next door neighbor (who has worked with satellite tv for some time now, FTA and Dish) I am leaning towards just moving my dish east and picking up the EA. Glad to hear I should be able to get the Wash DC locals in HD from 61.5. Really not work finding an additional dish doing to install and connecting them with whatever switch/ports might be necessary...all for 1 ch.

I'm close. I have an extra dish 500 and mount or two and LNB or 2. I could give them to you if you want a multi-dish setup for 61.5, 72 & maybe 119. You'll have to get the switch, though, and someone more experienced than I on the setup.

I have a 1000.4 getting 61.5, 72 & 77. And a tripod setup I used to use for 110/119, Lo these many years ago! I have 2 ViP722s but expect to move to two HWS in the relatively near future. I'm grandfathered w/o locals but that will change once I move to Hopper. But I have a nice OTA antenna setup. Still can't get the MPT stations I want out of Haggerstown regularly.

List or not, I'm not sure you need 119. But if you want separate dishes for 61.5 and 72 and MAYBE 119 or otherwise, we can set you up.

I think I figured out what's going on!
The Wash DC chs listed on 110 are mpeg2 chs., the chs. from 119 that I can recieve are mpeg4.
THe mpeg2 are for older SD boxes - right? Hence my VIP221 can't convert the signal...bottom line, I must move to the EA.

No that's not right either! A 211 can receive mpeg-2 channels just fine. Something else is going on. I do recommend a 1000.4 or 1000.2EA dish and a wing dish for your distants. This works fine for many.

No that's not right either! A 211 can receive mpeg-2 channels just fine. Something else is going on. I do recommend a 1000.4 or 1000.2EA dish and a wing dish for your distants. This works fine for many.
From OPs other posts it looks like he is "MOVING" from Conniticut so what he did with D* is complicated by EA & WA and MPEG2 & 4.

Can anyone tell me how up to date this site's Dishchannel list is? It's freakin me out!
It lists most of the Wash DC locals as being broadcasted in SD on 110, with a few on 119. Like I said, I get the 8 or so on 119 in SD but zero of the 110 ones?!
Have the rest (the HD) been relocated to 61.5 or 72 or 77 now? I don't see them on this website's list.
If I move my dish to the Eastern Arc will I still find the 119 channels such as WHAG on the EA?
Am so confused, lol!

In answer to your question, yes, you can receive WHAG on the EA. Here is what is available from the various satellites. All of those question marks, Known TI, are from the new 61.5.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=Washington, DC

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that WHAG is also sent out via 61.5 as is the HD versions of the Wash DC major network locals!
This link seems up to date and clearly shows the aforementioned Wash DC locals having moved to 61.5 (still implies I should be able to capture the SD versions on 110 - but whatever. Just have to wait for my friend to help me move my dish back to the EA when the weather warms ( lt snow yesterday and more snow/ice expected monday pm.).
http://uplink.jameslong.name/

WHAG is uplinked in MPEG 4 HD BTW. I would guess that it will be available soon but i have no date for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts