Recieving Ku

Status
Please reply by conversation.

harrysundown

Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
I have a 10ft aluminum mesh, I've had it for about 2years, I have been using it for C band. I have tried a couple of times to get ku but I get nothing. The dish has both c and ku lnb's I will take pictures soon I also bought a 4DTV reciever hooked up once and got a program guide but nothing else. So now that I have found this forum I want to get something going. One question is the lnb for ku just may not be correct any sugestions, and will an FTA reciever work with my dish? and witch one do you recommend. Will the c and ku be on the same arc? So many questions.........

:welcome to the group

ok you have a 10 ft mesh dish thats setup for c & ku ( you set it up 2 years ago and only get c band side)

well your in the correct group and these guys will get you going.

first c-band signals are a bit easier to receive. ku is a bit harder to hit.
your pole must be set in ground and level and plumb ( this is critical in hitting the ku arc)

pictures are great visual tool so if you can post some that will be great ( without feedhorn cover). I can only guess that you probably have a corotor.

strings across several points of the dish will show if the dish is put together correctly ( correct shape ) and will allow you to get the distances from the center of the dish to the feedhorn ( to gather correct focal distance). the strings should touch in the center. if they don't then some slight dish petal alignment might be needed.

ok heres where some of the other guys that know corotors and 4dtv tuning will jump in. c band & ku are in the same arc but need to be tuned properly.

post a couple of your c-band signal strengths. from several sats

as for a dvb receiver , you would love it , its a perfect addon for the big dish. it opens up a whole new world.

Thanks George,
I will get the pictures up tonight If rain permits ( or the lack of ) The strings to see if the dish is round? and dvb is aka FTA

the strings make sure proper alignment of the dish (petals) to form a reflective surface pointing to the feedhorn. mainly if the dish seams line up its probably close. when the strings don't tough in the center it shows something is out of align or even warped.

also with this (strings) method you can get the distance from the center of the dish to get the proper focal distance ( this is the distance the scaler is set from the dish and the feedhorn adjusts from that). this will show where your dish should get the best possible signal.

measure where the strings touch to the dish
measure from the dish to the feedhorn
measure from dish side to dish side

yes dvb receiver = FTA receiver

Will this do anything for me?

Attachments

• DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 177
the 4dtv will allow you to receive channels via the big dish , its still viable to subscribe with a 4dtv. very good unit and several people here have them and subscribe with them.
the 4dtv will allow you to receive analog c & ku band channels, videocipher channels (with a modual) & digital c & ku channels (built in digicipher II)

Digicypher II is different than DVB

a dvb receiver / fta receiver ( allows you to receive unscrambled digital channels) i would recommend ..... Coolsat 5000 is my pick easy to use, blindscan & easy menu system.
i also have a traxis 3500 it has a fast blind scan not as easy meny as the coolsat not as easy to use.
several other mainstream units are also good but i don'ty have them. pansat makes a unit that can control a corotor ( other units have to rely on the analog receiver to do it.)
merc II is a good unit several others are in the review section.

OK here are some pictures Finally stop raining. I hooked up the 4DTV rec.and got just a few C band. I could identify about 7 different satellites with maybe 1 or 2 channels. I could never get the receiver to go to Ku I guess, looked the same as my old one channels 1-24
G5 had most with scrambled channels also.

Attachments

• DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 155
I have set that setting every way and no change. Can the lnb go bad? It has a light on it notice one of the pictures.

If the light isnt coming on, it prob has died on ya. I have an older cband lnb that lights up like that. California amp I think. KU lnbs seem to not last as long for me, never got more than 2yrs out of one.

I'm kinda new to this but I have learned quite a bit in the forums and by experimenting.

Since I could not find anything Ku that was "free" or was DCII and not DVB, I elected to use Galaxy 16 just to be sure my LNB was operational. Note on a 922 you have different satellites for C and Ku. So, go to Shepards Chapel on G4 16 C band.
Then program satellites and choose X4 that will bring up the Ku LNB. I use Speed on X4 430 as they have a strong signal. (This is via subscription) Use the same position as G4 and see if it works. You may have to move the dish a little depending on how the LNB and dish are aligned (or not).

For the FTA stuff I think 10R is probably a good choice but again most FTA is DVB and a 922 will not pick up DVB.

From what I have seen in a few weeks of playing is a bad LNB or coax problem makes the "static" appear muddy. Contrary to the instructions I have connected and disconnected the LNB's with the receiver powered up and had no problem. Good luck!! I tried to put the anger after the 992 not doing DVB but it must think my whole post is angry.

I have to change my LNB's about every two or three years. I live in VA and it is hot here in the summer and we get some lightning storms that can kill an LNB quick.

I always have an extra C and KU LNB sitting around waiting for the next shoe to fall.

Thats funny ,I called a few places around here to try and find a Ku LNB even if used because
I didnt know if the used one I bought was good or not.
So I find a local dealer that did BUDs for many years and asked him if he had a Ku LNB.
He said "its not your LNB,Ive been doing this for 20 yrs and never had a bad Ku LNB."
So much for the expert advise...
Defintion of expert is anyone that gets paid for what they are doing is an expert....
Whats even funnier is we live in Central Fla the lightning capital of the world.

You can find KU LNB's on Ebay, but they are getting few and far between.

I just bought a KU and a C off of Ebay in the last month or you can try Satmart or check the list at the top of the screen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts