Recomendation for Which Satellites to Use

Pete Ratowski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 15, 2007
Tallahassee
At my home in Tallahassee, my receivers are all receiving 110, 119, and 129 from a 1000.2 dish.. At my campsite down near Panama City, I was not able to get the 1000.2 dish to receive 129 because there are some trees on the horizon that blocks 129 cause it is lower on the horizon than 110 and 119. A dish technician helped me put up one of my old Dish 500's and aimed it at 61.5 and I started receiving most of the HD channels that I was receiving in Tallahassee. I don't get all of them. My Tallahassee locals are only in SD. However, since I have a camper that I am using I was able to receive the LA and Chicago HD channels until this past January. Now I have no national network in HD. My question to all of you that know alot more than I will ever know is as follows: Is it possible to change the old Dish 500 to another satellite such as 72.7 and receive more HD channels? I cannot move the trees that block 129. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Even if I have to buy another dish or LNB, I will do it. :confused:

You can point the D500 at the 72.7, but you would lose 61.5. Short of a multi-dish setup it may not be possible to bring in all the satellites you need. If I could get your zipcode I can lookup some more information for you and see if anything else is available.

Thomas: The zip is 32401. I would be glad to purchase anything I need if required to bring in all the satellites required. Thanks so much again.

Upon more research it seems that the best solution, IMHO, would be to get a 1k4 dish to bring in the EA. You already have all HD equipment, so no upgrade necessary, then have your D500 point at the 110 as a wing. Doing that would allow you to bring in the locals for your area along with all the HD stations you're looking for.

Thomas: Please explain what IMHO means and EA. Would I need to get rid of the 1000.2 dish and the LNB on it? Briefly tell me how to set it up. Thanks.

Sorry, IMHO is In My Humble Opinion, and EA is Eastern Arc. One of the other members may be able to describe in more detail how to hookup the 1000.4, but the 1000.4 would replace the 1000.2 on your house. The LNB would be a different one, but should come with the dish if you get it.

Essentially you would want to point the EA dish focusing on 72.7 first then fine tuning the others in. You'll also have the D500 110 satellite connecting to the LNB in port. From there the connections should be roughly the same as what you already have to bring in 4 signals, though you may need a DPP44 for that if you don't have one.

Thanks. I think I can handle it now. I'll put the Dish 500 where the 1000.2 is currently thus insuring a good signal from 110. I'll put the new 1000.4 where the Dish 500 is now thus adding 72.7 and 77 to the good signal from 61.5 I am currently receiving from that location. I am on it as soon as the new dish arrives. I'll also figure out if I need the DPP44. Thanks so much, Thomas.

Properly peaked D500 can recieve 61.5 AND 72.7, however at somewhat lower signal levels due to non-optimal lnb spacing.

Iceberg: Question: If I have only one receiver in my camper, will there be only one RG-6 cable running from the 1000.4 to my HD VIP211k receiver? If so, which port on the LNB will it run from to the receiver....Port 1, Port 2, or Port 3? I know the Dish 500 will be hooked to the Port marked LNB-In. If I am out in left field, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Yes you will need only one cable to the receiver. You can connect it to any port. With this setup you can connect 2 other receivers to the other ports if needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts