Recommend a good universal remote for my new Hopper setup?

Those aren't macros. A colored button or two has been confirmed not to work on the 922 from any remote. A bug never fixed.

Now you mean any other remote control right, other than the original DISH remote control?, because on my 32.0 the blue and yellow buttons work as I described.Press Blue goes to Broadband Setup Display.Press Yellow goes to Settings Menu,on my 922.:)

I also vote for Logitech Harmony universal remotes. I have a 880 & a One. Very happy with them. You'll only drop them in the water once, though. :(

Look thru their offerings to find one best suited for you. Never mind the cost. I wish I had gone with Harmony first, rather than wasting money and effort on cheaper ones that never quite did the job.

Actually, mine have surviced being dropped in the Hot Tub. Just rinse it very good in clean water with it apart, pat it dry and let it dry completly and it will work again. I've done it dozens of times with my Harmony. just realize it immediately so it does not soak too long. Same with cell phones. Leave them for an hour, and good bye. All from experience.

Logitechs data base is user updateable and not far behind new products. At least mine. It had learning mode before Dish remotes had that. But the simple one button control vrs many putton presses on the dish remote is what makes the Harmonies special. One button means others can use it.

Makes no difference. All the codes are exactly the same. Actually, using an established model's codes is a lot better because the newest user learns are usually riddled with mistakes and missing commands. It took a couple of years before the latest DirecTV models has code sets as good as the older models, in spite of the fact that all DirecTV models use the same codes. Logitech is very slow to recognize similarities among devices.

Bottom line is there is no reason to learn any codes. The 722 codes will work 100%.

Interestingly, I noticed that the hopper remote is now made by UEI, the maker of DirecTV, one-for-all, JP1 and most cable remotes. That means a much bigger and comprehensive code database for your other devices than the previous OEM had. Their code database is even larger than logitech's by a huge margin.

Understood. My points were that the new maker of Dish remotes has a much larger database now, and that logitech is slow to recognize similarities among devices. For example, all DirecTV boxes from the past 5 years or so all share the same codes, yet depending on the device profile you pick on your harmony you may get a full set of working commands or you may not. Dish didn't add discretes or colored buttons to the Hopper profiles until I supplied the codes to my inside contact for all 32 addresses (they refused to do it just for address 1 because of the way their wizard works). That was thousands of codes and a huge PITA. Same story for several families of TV, stereos, you name it. So logitech is good at collecting learns from their users and getting basic support for the latest devices pretty quickly, but they aren't very good at consolidating and recognizing that many device share the same codes, nor are they good at getting complete code sets. This isn't necessarily their fault. It's just that very few users have the ability or the equipment to learn discretes that don't exist on their original remotes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)