Recommendation for an in-line amp?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hello again! My OTA signal is weak in almost all situations and the digitals will lock one day and not another. I'm using a CM4228 feeding a CM7777 and about 80' of coax between the ends. Two days ago when I couldn't get a signal to lock I added a 10dB in-line amp (Radio Shack) after the 7777's power supply and that seemed to be enough to make the difference (channels locked for about 2 days), so I'm thinking that just a little bit more boost would improve reliability. However yesterday I again had nothing even with the 10dB assist. I know there's a chance that I'm actually overdriving the signal, but the PQ on an adjacent analog signal (both channel-wise and direction) is a good measure of that. It definitely waxes and wanes in step with my results on the digital signal, i.e., on days when I can't lock the digital signal the analog signal is also particularly weak (snowy). When I lock the digital it shows 68/100 on the 622. When it's unlocked, it shows 0. Never anything in between.

I can receive another strong digital channel consistently so I know the OTA system is basically functional. It's just that I am really on the margin with this particular channel.

Can you recommend a decent amp that might help more than that RS one? I'm guessing the noise figure on that RS amp is probably very poor so it's not helping nearly as much as it should with a really weak signal. A 10-15dB or so unit with a very low noise figure would be something I would want to try.

Also - any recommendations for a signal strength meter I could attach in place of a TV or the 622 that can be set for the channel of interest so I can see quantitatively whether changes I'm making, particularly in terms of aiming the antenna, are helping or not?

TIA...

There's not enough information in your post for anyone to develop informed advice. I recommend posting your situation in AVSForum's Broadcast Locals thread for your locality.

I agree with AltAntMike but some things are basicly true regardless.

It's unlikely a second amplifier will be your long-term solution. The CM 7777 already has around 26 dB of gain in the UHF band and that is plenty. Often too much. More gain is like turning up the volume to get rid of static, it doesn't work.

Additionally, the 7777 has already set the noise figure for your system so the noise figure of any following amplifiers is irrelevant. You have already done all you can in terms of amplification with just the 7777 unless it's being overloaded by a strong local station maybe 8 to 10 miles away.

Your best bet now might be to focus on the antenna. Some options would be removing any close vegetation, more precise aiming in both azmuith and elevation, raising the height, stacking antennas for more gain (not the same as amplifier gain), or even an extreme such as very high-gain parabola.

Your problem could be either too little signal or multipath (or both). It's impossible to say which without a spectrum analyzer but the solution in both cases is more antenna gain. A spectrum analyzer can show you everything that's happening on each frequency but it's a very expensive piece of equipment and your only option would be to borrow it.

This all assumes the station your are having trouble with is not too far over the horizon in which case there isn't much you can do.

Last edited:
Tks all for your answers. The channel in question is WATM Altoona. It's ch 23 analog and ch 24 digital with 3 subs including 24.1 ABC-HD. By my estimate WATM's tower is about 25 miles from me on a heading of about 236º true. I'm definitely not LOS, being on the wrong side of the ridge. But since I get something on the analog channel I hold hopes for the digital signal.

AAMike - I'll try AVS. I haven't been in that forum yet because my work network (where I do most of this SG activity during breaks) blocks that site. I'll try from home.

messarano - 16877 if that helps, but more exactly I figure I'm at about 40º 42’ N, 78º 6’ W. I'm using 10º 30' W declination in my calculations. I get most of my information from Broadcast Television Station Search at http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp using those location values. (The long. and dec. numbers have to be entered as negatives.)

NightHawk - Tks again for your answers. FWIW, I'm an EE by training and I have worked "around" RF much of my career including my present job and a 2-year stint 10 years ago designing/testing XOs. So nothing you're talking about is foreign to me. I don't work with the details every day so some important stuff has no-doubt escaped me.

There are no local stations except some presumably low-power translators at about 125º and 9 to 12 miles, on channels 13, 29, 36, and 39, IIRC. I have thought about the overload consequence and it's certainly possible, but I think unlikely because of the situation I mentioned with the adjacent analog signal. Regardless I have a variable attenuator and I have used that at various times to see if I might be overloading the tuner inputs (I know what that looks like) but to no apparent avail. The attenuator definitely has a predictable affect on the snow level of that analog channel. I would expect it to have exactly the same effect on the digital signal. This leads me to believe I still need all that gain.

I am also considering multipath, and I think this may be the real problem. I can't really see any evidence of it in that particular Ch 23 analog signal (too snowy most of the time, but clear enough at others), but my analog ch 10 - co-located with ch 23 - has always been "ghosty" on my old antenna. It is less so with the 4228 - in fact the 4228 gives the best PQ I have ever seen on that channel OTA! But there is still some echo there. Here's a strong clue: I get the best lock on ch 24 with the 4228 pointed 35º south of where I think it should be pointed, i.e., at about 200º true vs. the expected heading of 235º. I'm sure the orientation of my CM rotator is off somewhat but certainly not to that extent! So I guess I have a stronger and variable indirect signal for ch 24 ?? (That is not necessarily the case for ch 23 which has a variable and equally ugly picture over quite a range of headings in that general direction. It's best picture with least noisy sound seems to occur somewhere around 220º.)

I know I can't amplify to any avail a signal that isn't there. Last night I was again getting ch 24 "loud and clear" on my Sony TV and it was stable all evening. Even my 811 could lock it, indicating a 60+/100 signal at that 200º heading, but it had a lot of drop-outs as expected. (I didn't get to try the 622.) I'm thinking I'm seeing a pattern here with the temperature. On cold, clear nights like our M, T, and Th, I was able to lock 24. On the warmer nights like Su and W I was not. I'm guessing that temp. might very well change the signal propagation (strength) based on my short wave experiences, but would it likely change the path, i.e. signal reflections in a horizontal plane?

On the nights when I can lock it I will do all possible experimenting to see what if anything makes any difference. That's where I thought a SS meter would help. I'd like to borrow or even buy one. I might be able to borrow one from work. I could ask to borrow an HP8560 SA, but that's a long shot. What I really need for at least part of my investigation is something that will give me a continuously-variable SS indication so I can at least see where the strongest signal is coming from. How can I resolve the multipath? I know the SS meter won't help with that other than to confirm a strong(er) signal from more than one direction. Will the SA indicate a difference in the two signals that are on the same frequency, but where one is delayed/phase shifted a bit?

Now that I have everything 35' in the air and cold weather is upon us, I can't really do anything about the antenna or preamp until the spring. I realize I can't improve on the 2dB noise from the 7777, but I assumed another amp with a similar or lower figure probably wouldn't hurt much. The noise is additive, right?

I'm willing to throw more time into the experimentation while I have it during these cold months, and perhaps even some more money. The learning opportunity far overshadows the frustration, even when I really want to watch something on ABC-HD on a day I can't lock the signal.

Your continued support, as your time allows, is certainly appreciated...!

Have a great weekend. At this point I probably won't reply before Monday...

Last edited:
The noise from the downstream amplifier is not additive. The linear noise contribution from downstream devices, actice or passive, is divided by the linear gain factor of the pre-amp, making it very insignificant.

The cure for multipath is the same as for insufficient signal. More antenna gain.

Clear cold weather at night is always best in my experience also. One reason is that pre-amp noise levels drop in direct proportion to temperature.

A SA and a trained eye can completely diagnose the problem. Weak digital signals on any particular frequency are evident as being too close to the noise floor and multipath is any deviation from the ideal 6 MHz wide 'boxcar'. Interference from adjacent channels is also easily observable as are signals from over the horizon.

I will try to think about your particular situation later but right now it's Friday night and the bourbon is flowing. Typing is a challenge.

Cheers

It sounds you are in a tough reception area. The 4228 does not do very well with multipath. I had one and replaced it with a 91XG (http://www.solidsignal.tv/prod_display.asp?PROD=AD-91XG). However, analog channel 10 won't look as good, but you may pick-up digital 10.1 (ch 32). If WTAJ is moving back to ch. 10 after analog shut-off, you may want to get the Winegard YA-1713 (http://www.winegard.com/offair/vhf.htm) for ch. 10 if you decide to try the 91XG. The 7777 pre-amp has an option for separate VHF and UHF inputs.

Tks again, all.

Fri. evening 24.1 was solid, but by Sat. AM it had again disappeared. It was quite cold Fri., and tho' still rather cold Sat. AM the preamp had some direct sunshine. Maybe I should relocate the 7777 to a freezer in my basement!

I might have to consider a more directional antenna, but if it gets much larger then I will need a whole new mounting scheme. I'll need to confirm the future of Ch 10. Right now they're undergoing an ownership change so I'll probably need to wait until that dust settles. If I need a VHF for only that one channel then I'll probably add another fixed antenna / preamp for that.

Tks again for your consideration and support...!

Hello again! My OTA signal is weak in almost all situations and the digitals will lock one day and not another. I'm using a CM4228 feeding a CM7777 and about 80' of coax between the ends. Two days ago when I couldn't get a signal to lock I added a 10dB in-line amp (Radio Shack) after the 7777's power supply and that seemed to be enough to make the difference (channels locked for about 2 days), so I'm thinking that just a little bit more boost would improve reliability. However yesterday I again had nothing even with the 10dB assist. I know there's a chance that I'm actually overdriving the signal, but the PQ on an adjacent analog signal (both channel-wise and direction) is a good measure of that. It definitely waxes and wanes in step with my results on the digital signal, i.e., on days when I can't lock the digital signal the analog signal is also particularly weak (snowy). When I lock the digital it shows 68/100 on the 622. When it's unlocked, it shows 0. Never anything in between.

I can receive another strong digital channel consistently so I know the OTA system is basically functional. It's just that I am really on the margin with this particular channel.

Can you recommend a decent amp that might help more than that RS one? I'm guessing the noise figure on that RS amp is probably very poor so it's not helping nearly as much as it should with a really weak signal. A 10-15dB or so unit with a very low noise figure would be something I would want to try.

Also - any recommendations for a signal strength meter I could attach in place of a TV or the 622 that can be set for the channel of interest so I can see quantitatively whether changes I'm making, particularly in terms of aiming the antenna, are helping or not?

TIA...

What I really suggest is, get another type of antenna then the bowtie type. Or other brand, in some case, when channel master brand can not do the job, other brand may fix your problem. This work for me when I do install antenna for customers.

However, 80' a run of cable in between is not a too long run, and you use the 7777 pre-amp with it may get too much gain, You may try deep fringe area type antenna and maybe a 10dBs amp before the TV if you see some weak channels.

What I really suggest is, get another type of antenna then the bowtie type. Or other brand, in some case, when channel master brand can not do the job, other brand may fix your problem. This work for me when I do install antenna for customers.

Agreed!

From experience, the bowties handle multipath poorly. Replace the "2 ton Tony" (cm4228) with the 91xg and Winegard YA1713 high band vhf antenna. both antennas combined would weigh close to the cm4228 buy itself and present less system loading. Both antennas are very directional with decent front to backs. Just what you will need to tame the multipath and the best of both worlds vhf and uhf wise.

Scrap the variable attuator scenarios. they attenuate good signal also. Instead focus on the right combination of antennas and amplification.

I get the best lock on ch 24 with the 4228 pointed 35º south of where I think it should be pointed,

this concerns me also. aiming off for best signal strength can either be multipath OR overload from over amplification.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts