Recommendation to Dish - Dump Hopper+ and Rembrace Virtual Joey

Ray_Clum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
if anyone has good contacts at Dish (cough, Scott, cough), they should recommend to anyone that will listen that Dish should totally stop development on the Hopper+ and embrace the fact that most, if not all, of their customers have FireTV’s, Fire Sticks, AppleTV’s, RokuTV’s, XBox’s, PS5’s, etc, all of which are internet capable. They should develop an app for those platforms that will recognize that they are on the same local network (Ethernet or WiFi) as the Hopper and truly function as a Joey - charge the $7/mo/VirJory activation for mirroring programming, so no revenue is lost, but this would also cut down hardware costs as well.

I’m not talking about a DishAnywhere app for each platform, but a true Joey client app, so the 4 AppleTVs at my house can act as Joey’s simultaneously, instead of one DishAnywhere stream from the Hopper.

Maybe even tie in Amazon into the new plan, such that new installs get Fire Sticks with the Joey client installed instead of a Joey receiver, giving Amazon even more entry into customer homes, further lowering hardware costs for Dish.

if anyone has good contacts at Dish (cough, Scott, cough), they should recommend to anyone that will listen that Dish should totally stop development on the Hopper+ and embrace the fact that most, if not all, of their customers have FireTV’s, Fire Sticks, AppleTV’s, RokuTV’s, XBox’s, PS5’s, etc, all of which are internet capable. They should develop an app for those platforms that will recognize that they are on the same local network (Ethernet or WiFi) as the Hopper and truly function as a Joey - charge the $7/mo/VirJory activation for mirroring programming, so no revenue is lost, but this would also cut down hardware costs as well.

I’m not talking about a DishAnywhere app for each platform, but a true Joey client app, so the 4 AppleTVs at my house can act as Joey’s simultaneously, instead of one DishAnywhere stream from the Hopper.

Maybe even tie in Amazon into the new plan, such that new installs get Fire Sticks with the Joey client installed instead of a Joey receiver, giving Amazon even more entry into customer homes, further lowering hardware costs for Dish.

They could also just start charging a premium for >1 dish anywhere stream at a time. (And update the app so it’s more reliable/stable).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should develop an app for those platforms that will recognize that they are on the same local network (Ethernet or WiFi) as the Hopper

I don’t think there is a bu$ine$$ case for that.

giving Amazon even more entry into customer homes

I DEFINITELY don’t think there is a bu$ine$$ case for this one!

Do we know for a fact that H+ development is ongoing?

I don’t think there is a bu$ine$$ case for that.

I DEFINITELY don’t think there is a bu$ine$$ case for this one!

Do we know for a fact that H+ development is ongoing?
The H+ is designed to run the native android apps directly from the provider, not Dish.

Reactions: charlesrshell
They could also just start charging a premium for >1 dish anywhere stream at a time. (And update the app so it’s more reliable/stable).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem with DA is that it relies on both upload from hopper plus download back to your device. It does seem they've moved most channels to streaming though which helps.

But what's being suggested is a virtual Joey on same network, meaning no internet is used at all and will still function without an internet connection (supposedly. May still require internet to verify account). Making it much more reliable as an everyday solution. Whereas DA is really meant as an on the go temporary solution.

The problem with DA is that it relies on both upload from hopper plus download back to your device. It does seem they've moved most channels to streaming though which helps.

But what's being suggested is a virtual Joey on same network, meaning no internet is used at all and will still function without an internet connection (supposedly. May still require internet to verify account). Making it much more reliable as an everyday solution. Whereas DA is really meant as an on the go temporary solution.
The old Sling/DA did exactly that when you were on the same local network. Back then, when I watched something using DA from one of my devices (PC, phone, or tablet), my 722K with the Sling adapter would send the stream directly to my PC without going out the Internet and back in after all the initial handshaking was done. And, I could also watch recordings on my EHD, not just from the internal receiver's HD. Dish really ruined DA with the rewrite.

And, I could also watch recordings on my EHD, not just from the internal receiver's HD. Dish really ruined DA with the rewrite.
I was really pissed about that. And before I upgraded my 722 to an H3, they had even removed the EHD capability for no apparent reason. Then they removed the Sling Adapter capability entirely. And then they made VOD very unreliable on the 722. I was hassled to "upgrade". :mad:

The old Sling/DA did exactly that when you were on the same local network. Back then, when I watched something using DA from one of my devices (PC, phone, or tablet), my 722K with the Sling adapter would send the stream directly to my PC without going out the Internet and back in after all the initial handshaking was done.
DA is like one of those too good to be true things. It works for me, and then it doesn't. Once it starts buffering, have to step out. Needing to go out and back in seems ridiculously unnecessary if you are doing it inside your home.