Recommendations for a big TV?

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Hi guys,

I recently was informed that a decent little chunk of change will be coming my way.
To be honest, I wish that it were not because of the circumstances around it. :cry:

But, it is.. I really am not terribly excited and I have no intentions of going on a spending spree but I did consider perhaps adding a second TV to my house. I have a 32" Vizio but it's an older model, it's heavy, large, thick and has some damage to the screen. It's a few years old and discontinued as well. It's not a bad TV, I can't complain much at all and I have no intentions of getting rid of it. What I would like to do is move it from my bedroom to my living room (there was a very old 20yro, 27" tube TV in there) and get a new, larger TV for my bedroom.

I'm wondering what the general consensus in on Vizio? I have one now and it's OK but it's very basic. But it's a decent TV, I guess. It does 720p and 1080i.

I'm thinking about getting a 56" or something about that size.

I think it would be a good thing to have the internet apps built in to it. Yes?

And should I get an LED or and LCD TV?

I really don't have any interest in a 3D TV, I think those are a fad that will pass and I'll have paid a lot extra for something that will be abandoned next year. I don't have a Blue Ray player anyway but I guess I should get one of those too. I know absolutely nothing about Blue Ray other than that's the NEW thing and DVD's are sooooo yesteryear. So I don't place any great value or need in having 3D in the TV. If it's free, that's cool but if it's more than a few $ extra, I don't need it.

So I guess I'm looking for recommendations or some sort of guidelines as to how to shop for one. I hate going to electronics places because snot nosed punk kids try to upsell me on BS that I don't want, don't need or don't care about. Men tend to treat me like I'm an idiot (not too far from the truth though) but I don't like having the hard sell put on me by anyone for anything and when they do, I am likely to get angry and walk out and not come back.

I'm also wondering what would be my best bet, buying from a store or online? I know I can get a lot better price on just about any and everything online but I worry about shipping damage and problems with warranty & service if it goofs up or breaks.
Should I just go to Walmart or Bestbuy or some place like that?

I haven't purchased a new TV in 20+ years. My Vizio, I got it second hand from a friend a few years ago.
So I'm not very much up to date on my electronics shopping skills.

Thanks guys... :)

3D Is standard on most hdtv's these days. I have 2 and rarely watch 3D. Several good things is 3D is very cheap add on by manufatuers and 2D is a lot better. Samsung makes 59" and 64" plasmas. I haven't priced them but the lower end Sammy model probably can be had for around $1500.

I buy on Amazon on a regular basis. Great prices and free delivery ( most of the time )and no sales tax.:)

Last edited:
My last new set I bought early this year, a 65" Mitsubishi DLP that I love the picture from, but it does have a bulb that will burn out eventually... price was reasonable and it is 3D capable as well as internet capable... (but they are phasing the smaller sets out)

I'm thinking about getting a 56" or something about that size.

Wow! That's a pretty big TV for a bedroom. But I guess, why not! I don't know how big your bedroom is, but I would go with LED, especially if you plan to hang it on the wall. Takes less space and looks much sleeker!

I don't have a Blue Ray player anyway but I guess I should get one of those too. I know absolutely nothing about Blue Ray other than that's the NEW thing and DVD's are sooooo yesteryear.
Not so important at 32", but at 56" Blu-ray will make a big difference in picture quality compared to DVD.

I hate going to electronics places because snot nosed punk kids try to upsell me on BS that I don't want
I would still recommend you go to Best Buy or some other electronics store. Not to buy, but to shop! ;) Check out different brands and different styles, compare different sizes. And do have a look at 3D, while you are there: who knows, you might like it!

I'm also wondering what would be my best bet, buying from a store or online?
Better prices on-line and you probably will want home delivery for a 56" set anyway. If it's damaged, you can always return it.

I will never ever buy a Vizio again. I bought an $1100 Vizio 50 plasma from Sam's Club, pop of death happened after 13 months, one month after warranty expired. Vizio told me to jump off a cliff...Fine...I am now the proud owner of 2 Samsungs. A 50 inch 720p plasma, and a 32 inch 720p lcd. I can't say enough good things about the Sammys. They both have been flawless. I did, however, purchase the 4 year warranty from Best Buy for the 50 inch, and am half way there. I honestly don't expect the warranty will ever be used.

Vizio is pretty-much a Walmart exclusive, essentially a store brand. The consensus is that its picture quality is surprisingly good for the price. But its reliability is not on par with other brands. Should you decide to go with Vizio, consider getting extended warranty.

The contrast of an LED backlit tv is much better IMO. I have a 32" Samsung LED upstairs that seems alot better than my 42" Vizio. So far my Vizio is 3 years old and hasn't given me any problems. Samsung is doing well also.

Oh, I should have mentioned that I do not want a plasma TV. I have read enough about them to know that I do not want one for several reasons. Nuff said there.

So that leaves I guess LED or LCD.

What about that brand, LG?

I believe that it's a Chinese (what isn't?) company and that it stands for Lucky Goldstar. A loooooong time ago I bought a microwave from Walmart that said Lucky Goldstar on it and it was junk.

But now I see LG stuff everywhere. Maybe they got better?

I don't know.

I saw some TV's the other day that were like, paper thin and very large. I would guess about as wide as my arms finger tip to finger tip.
I wasn't shopping then so I wasn't really paying much attention to them, I just walked past them going to get photos printed in the back.
I didn't notice the brand of those though.

I'm figuring that at most I want to spend on one would be about $1,500. But if it's like super cool, maybe $2,000 but that would be the absolute most I would spend on one. I want a GOOD TV that is going to last me a very long time.

Oh, and someone wondered about my room I'm putting it in. I have a pretty good sized wall to hang it on. I could go crazy and put a 8 foot TV up there with plenty of room to spare but that would be like sitting in the front row at the theater. Eh... I think a 5 1/2' to 6' is plenty enough..

Thanks!

The contrast of an LED backlit tv is much better IMO. I have a 32" Samsung LED upstairs that seems alot better than my 42" Vizio. So far my Vizio is 3 years old and hasn't given me any problems. Samsung is doing well also.

How does this LED backlit work? I guess the thing is, I don't really understand what goes on inside these things and what the types of them are.

I should prefer an LED TV?

You are correct Lucky Goldstar = LG = Life's Good, a highly respected Korean electronics manufacturer.

Here's a deal link for big TV's = Ben's Bargains - TVs 46" and above Coupons and Deals

When you find a model you like, enter the model # into Amazon's search to read user reviews. Then make a cardboard mockup using the spec dimensions to see if the size fits your room.

Yes you want LED backlighting vs CCFL, two types:
  1. Edge lit, LED's spaced along the edge of the LCD, less expensive
  2. Array, LED's evenly spaced across the back of the LCD, more expensive

CCFL consumes much more power than LED.

Happy shopping! :p

Wow... What really cranks me off is that I am trying to shop online and ALL the sites want me to add the TV's to my "shopping cart" to see the price.
And you have to go all the way through the check out process including entering your CC info and shipping address, and even creating an account on the sites, just to see the flippin price!

NOPE...... This is BS.... These people are all trying to trick people into accidentally clicking the purchase button thus entrapping them into a purchase.

This is dishonest trickery and should be illegal.

I guess I will have to go in stores and do my shopping. Maybe I can decide which one I want then order it online after seeing one in real life.

Personally I think the internet is the biggest toilet and ripoff ever invented. Very little good comes of it. Very, very much bad comes of it, that is for certain.

:mad:

You are correct Lucky Goldstar = LG = Life's Good, a highly respected Korean electronics manufacturer.

Here's a deal link for big TV's = Ben's Bargains - TVs 46" and above Coupons and Deals

When you find a model you like, enter the model # into Amazon's search to read user reviews. Then make a cardboard mockup using the spec dimensions to see if the size fits your room.

Yes you want LED backlighting vs CCFL, two types:
  1. Edge lit, LED's spaced along the edge of the LCD, less expensive
  2. Array, LED's evenly spaced across the back of the LCD, more expensive
CCFL consumes much more power than LED.

Happy shopping! :p

WOA..... LG 60" for $1250... That will work!

LED: Ah... Ok, I think I understand. I had a laptop that the screen went dead, a long time ago. My ex told me it was a fluorescent light in it that burned out.
It was very expensive to replace it so I just chunked it in the trash and bought a new one.
Don't LED's last a very, very long time compared to lamps?

I've been wanting to change my house lights to LED but they are $$.. But I read they last like 100 years or something crazy like that.
So in theory, would an LED TV last a very long time compared to one with the lamps in it?

I bought a 42 inch 3d vizio this summer to use outside during football season, and it has been a pretty good set. The PQ is great on it, not as good as my panny plasmas, but I was pleasantly surprised. Has alot of features for the price (already mentioned 3d, built in wifi for netflix, ect), not sure about reliability yet obviously.

Dee_Ann said:
Wow... What really cranks me off is that I am trying to shop online and ALL the sites want me to add the TV's to my "shopping cart" to see the price.
And you have to go all the way through the check out process including entering your CC info and shipping address, and even creating an account on the sites, just to see the flippin price!

Sometimes they have to do it because they are not allowed to advertise such a low price, or so they claim.

And no, reputable sites DO NOT require you to enter your credit card or to create an account to see the price in the shopping cart. Stay away from the sites that do! Never enter a card until you are ready to place your order.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

LED = thin
LG is not a bad brand in TV sets these days.

Dee_Ann said:
Oh, I should have mentioned that I do not want a plasma TV. I have read enough about them to know that I do not want one for several reasons

Plasma TV sets have by far the best picture quality, but they are bulky, consume more power and don't work at all in bright light.

WOA..... LG 60" for $1250... That will work!

It's a plasma you said did not want.

IMO, there is only ONE drawback to plasmas...reflective screen, and that' usually only a problem if facing windows. If you've been reading about image burn-in, that's pretty much ancient history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)