Recommended antenna.....for me

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Milsky

Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
Frederick, MD
Trying to decide what type of antenna would be the best fit for my location. Here's my TV Fool report:

?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8e03cd0c2f73f0

I actually did have a directional antenna here many years ago but I'd like to avoid having to use a rotator again if possible. I'll be happy if I can just get the major networks out of Baltimore (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) which are all at about 99 degrees.

Ideally, I'd like to put it inside the attic but I'm not sure if any antenna would be strong enough for that. ...I do have a fair amount of room up there though and the construction is particle board, plywood and tar paper with shingles.

I'm towards the top of a hill but not quite at the top. There are a fair amount of trees in the area but none within several hundred feet of 99 degrees.

The plan is to use a pre-amp and then a couple distribution amps to feed the signal throughout the house.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milsky
Looks like you've got 2Edge reception (signal must bounce off two objects before reaching you) for pretty much everything. Most of your channels are UHF so you'll want an antenna that focuses there. You are probably gonna need to try several locations and heights to hit the right spot and attic mounting definitely limits that but it may be possible. Also need to take into account how snow on the roof might affect reception with an attic mount. An outdoor mount is probably the best way to go but you might want to give this one a try: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=HDB8X&d=Solid-Signal-Xtreme-Signal-HDB8X-VHFUHF-Outdoor-TV-Antenna-(HDB8X)&c=TV Antennas&sku=700112818417 It does VHF and UHF so you may get a shot at those couple VHF channels too. Each of the two sections can be pointed a different way to get channels from two different locations or pointed in the same way to maximize signal from one location. Hopefully others will chime in with more suggestions. Good luck! :)

Great. Cheaper than I expected too.

I'll give that one a shot. Hopefully it will work from the attic. The last antenna I had was struck by lightening and destroyed everything in the house. The little grounding cable never stood a chance. :)

Great. Cheaper than I expected too.

I'll give that one a shot. Hopefully it will work from the attic. The last antenna I had was struck by lightening and destroyed everything in the house. The little grounding cable never stood a chance. :)
I can see why you want it in the attic if possible! :eek: Good luck! :)

I'd go with that antenna, but not in the attic*. Check the bottom of your 'fool report. All your's are in the red. And the NM (Noise Margins) is low. I'd probably also use a mast mounted amplifier.
How to Choose the right Pre-amplifier - Solid Signal as the loss in the cable run will only make that worse. Use good RG-6 coax. (I start using amplifiers if the NM is in the teens & the Pwr(dbm) is in the -70's.
And yes, your going to have to check it's performance in several locations. Up and down, left and right. @ UHF as little as a foot can make a difference. I'd aim both sections to one direction to maximize it's performance for the signals in the desired direction.
Might try it aimed towards around 70°. Midway between those at 99° and 40° or one section at 99 and the other at 40.
Antenna installation is as much, or more, art as it is theory. So there's no guarantees.
Signal levels haven't been measured, only estimated by some computer algorithm. Doubt they take into account your particular location (buildings, trees, etc) but just an average.
*Trying it in the attic, that's up to you. It's just that I wouldn't. Just my 2 cents.

ZAP, bang -damn. Install a ground braid like the lightning guys install, from the tv mast to the electrical panel ground or the ground rod just outside of it. Make this run as straight as possible. Install a ground block where the coax enters the house. Run a 10 gauge wire from it also the the Same place as above. Check your local electrical codes so there's no way insurance can deny because something didn't meet code.

Something I've done for years. Place a turn or two loop in the coax between the ground block and the point it enters the house**. Power and phone cords of inside equipment also get a loop in them. The power cord of a surge strip is left straight.
**some say it's as effective if placed between the antenna and the ground block. I can't prove or dis-prove. Only 'it works for me'. See this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/lightning-strike.352797

The op has more VHF stations than UHF according to the tvfool I see.

I see 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12 on there so he would need a combo setup

Reactions: boba
OP said they want to avoid using a rotor and 7, 8, 9, 11 & 12 are in four different directions. They stated they are happy with Baltimore channels at 99° which are real 11 & 13 (high VHF), 38, 40, 46 and they could possiblyalso get 41 at 107°. Next would probably be 160° which is real 7 & 9 (high VHF), 15, 27, 33, 34, 36, 48 and a good chance at real 28 (WFPT), 10 miles away at 184°. Either 99° or 160° is majority UHF. Thats why a VHF/UHF antenna (favoring UHF) was suggested. :)

Last edited:
.I do have a fair amount of room up there though and the construction is particle board, plywood and tar paper with shingles.
that should be fine but the blockage from the roof will cause signal loss. And since the tvfool is pretty fugly (low numbers) outside would probably be the better option

OP said they want to avoid using a rotor and 7, 8, 9, 11 & 12 are in four different directions. They stated they are happy with Baltimore channels at 99° which are real 11 & 13 (high VHF), 38, 40, 46 and they could possiblyalso get 41 at 107°. Next would probably be 160° which is real 7 & 9 (high VHF), 15, 27, 33, 34, 36, 48 and a good chance at real 28 (WFPT), 10 miles away at 184°. Either 99° or 160° is majority UHF. Thats why a VHF/UHF antenna (favoring UHF) was suggested. :)

That's correct. I'll be happy if I can just get the major networks out of Baltimore. And my goal is to distribute the signal throughout the house for the TVs that don't have satellite boxes and as a backup for those that do. So having a rotator in the mix seems like it would be a pain.

ZAP, bang -damn. Install a ground braid like the lightning guys install, from the tv mast to the electrical panel ground or the ground rod just outside of it. Make this run as straight as possible. Install a ground block where the coax enters the house. Run a 10 gauge wire from it also the the Same place as above. Check your local electrical codes so there's no way insurance can deny because something didn't meet code.

Something I've done for years. Place a turn or two loop in the coax between the ground block and the point it enters the house**. Power and phone cords of inside equipment also get a loop in them. The power cord of a surge strip is left straight.
**some say it's as effective if placed between the antenna and the ground block. I can't prove or dis-prove. Only 'it works for me'.

Thanks for the grounding tips. If I end-up mounting it outside, which seems likely, I'll definitely need to do a better job. Fortunately the insurance company didn't give me any hassles the last time. I pretty much just used an old grounding cable that was left over from a dish installation and went straight to the house ground in one straight run.

So I'll be ordering the antenna that FTA4PA recommended along with the Winegard LNA-200 pre amp.

Sounds like it's doubtful that the attic install will work though. Is there any point in buying 2 if the antennas and trying to gang them together? Or would that just wasting my money?

I hate to express doubts but I think you are going to need a large size combo like the Winegard HD7698P to have any chance at the VHF channels. It’s frustrating that Solid Signal continues to market their 8 bay UHF antenna as a good VHF choice. An 8 bay will sometimes work OK for VHF if it is LOS under 20 miles, but looking at your Tvfool it think it is very unlikely it will work for you. WJZ 13 will be a real bitch to pick up at your location. They broadcast a very directional signal to the east. You may have a better shot at a full set of networks by looking at Washington.

* There is someone in Gaithersburg on Craigslist with several NIB AntennaCarft HBU55’s for sale at $50. This would also be a very good choice for you to try.

Reactions: Mr Tony
It’s frustrating that Solid Signal continues to market their 8 bay UHF antenna as a good VHF choice.
I agree.

There is someone in Gaithersburg on Craigslist with several NIB AntennaCarft HBU55’s for sale at $50. This would also be a very good choice for you to try.
Thats a good deal and the HBU55 is a great antenna. I had a HBU44 and it worked good in Minneapolis

I agree and disagree. :) I've never tried the Solid Signal 8 bay UHF antenna, but I do know that a DB8 8 bay antenna receives several VHF channels 40 to 45 miles away from Philadelphia, including channel 6 which is even in the lower VHF band with very good signal strength and no video breakups.

I had wanted to test the Stellar Labs 8 bay antenna to see how well it performs, but didn't get a chance.

I hate to express doubts but I think you are going to need a large size combo like the Winegard HD7698P to have any chance at the VHF channels. It’s frustrating that Solid Signal continues to market their 8 bay UHF antenna as a good VHF choice. An 8 bay will sometimes work OK for VHF if it is LOS under 20 miles, but looking at your Tvfool it think it is very unlikely it will work for you. WJZ 13 will be a real bitch to pick up at your location. They broadcast a very directional signal to the east. You may have a better shot at a full set of networks by looking at Washington.

* There is someone in Gaithersburg on Craigslist with several NIB AntennaCarft HBU55’s for sale at $50. This would also be a very good choice for you to try.

Thanks for pointing this out. When I looked at the HDB8X on another site last night I noticed it was only rated for 25 miles for VHF. ..so I was already worried about that. The HBU55 on Craig's list looks like a steal. Only downside is that it will be pretty ugly mounted outside. Not that I mind or anything. ...but the wife does. :)

I agree that pointing to Washington might be a better option. The only problem there is that I'm a Steelers fan and Baltimore stations tend to carry more games since it's the same conference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)