Recommended Antenna other than CM 4228

bigmixx

Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Dacula, GA
Ok, I've read enough posts here to know that the Channel Master 4228 is arguably the best antenna for those that live far away. As you can see, I'm about 30 - 32 miles away. My question is, would the Radio Shack antenna U-75R work for me? I know it's UHF only but will it pick up VHF as well like the CM 4228? I'm not really concerned with PBS, only NBC as these are my only VHF channels. I'm able to pick up all of them except PBS right now with some an amplified indoor antenna but the signal ranges from 40 - 88 with TBS being the highest. I'm tired of moving it around and since the HD Tivo has been installed it's gotten worse. Thanks.

* red - vhf WGTV-DT 12 PBS ATHENS GA 07-08 229° 18.5 12
* red - vhf WXIA-DT 11.1 NBC ATLANTA GA 239° 28.9 10
* red - uhf WUPA-DT 43.1 UPN ATLANTA GA 240° 30.7 43
* red - uhf WHSG-DT 44.1 TBN MONROE GA 240° 30.7 44
* red - uhf WTBS-DT 17.1 TBS ATLANTA GA 246° 27.5 20
* blue - uhf WPBA-DT 21.1 PBS ATLANTA GA 240° 28.9 21
* blue - uhf WUVG-DT 34.1 UNI ATHENS GA 246° 27.5 48
* blue - uhf WATL-DT 36.1 WB ATLANTA GA 246° 27.5 25
* blue - uhf WAGA-DT 5.1 FOX ATLANTA GA 244° 27.5 27
* violet - uhf WGCL-DT 46.1 CBS ATLANTA GA 246° 27.5 19
* violet - uhf WPXA-DT 14.1 i ROME GA 302° 47.3 51
* violet - uhf WSB-DT 2.1 ABC ATLANTA GA 242° 30.0 39
* violet - uhf WATC-DT 41.1 REL ATLANTA GA 283° 31.2 41

I have that U-75R on my house and the VHF is nearly useless (as one would expect). The suprise for me was that Only one of the UHF analog channels comes in clear. The rest are snowy.

I'm not really concerned as the only channels I dont' already get digitally seem to all be running infomercials 24x7.

Connected to my 3x Voom boxes I peg the signal meter on the digital channels, un-amped. Straight from the antenna and split 3+ ways.

bigmixx said:
Ok, I've read enough posts here to know that the Channel Master 4228 is arguably the best antenna for those that live far away. As you can see, I'm about 30 - 32 miles away. My question is, would the Radio Shack antenna U-75R work for me? I know it's UHF only but will it pick up VHF as well like the CM 4228? I'm not really concerned with PBS, only NBC as these are my only VHF channels. I'm able to pick up all of them except PBS right now with some an amplified indoor antenna but the signal ranges from 40 - 88 with TBS being the highest. I'm tired of moving it around and since the HD Tivo has been installed it's gotten worse. Thanks.

<station list deleted>

I am using the 90 version of that antenna, so I can pick up both UHF & VHF stations clearly. I am picking up digital signals off the back side of the antenna from about 40 + miles away, so you may want to take a look at that one, as well. As all the stations here are broadcasting OTA digitally, the fuzzy analog signals really don't bother me. :)

I will vouch for the high-band VHF capability on the CM4228, at least on one analog channel (I don't have any VHF digitals in my area). I believe that is an unintended artifact of the 4228's design. The yagi types will probably not be any help for VHF except for an exceptionally strong signal where you could probably get them on rabbit ears anyway. YMMV...

I was able to get a CM 4228 from Fry's and I hooked up just to test it and make sure it worked. I just sat the think on top of my garbage can and leaned up against my house so it would sit up straight. I went into the house and checked the signal strength on the HD channels and NBC came in at 98%. The lowest was ABC at 68%. Everything else was 88 and above. I was shocked that the signal strength was that strong. I'm so glad I went ahead and picked up the CM4228.

bigmixx said:
I was able to get a CM 4228 from Fry's and I hooked up just to test it and make sure it worked. I just sat the think on top of my garbage can and leaned up against my house so it would sit up straight. I went into the house and checked the signal strength on the HD channels and NBC came in at 98%. The lowest was ABC at 68%. Everything else was 88 and above. I was shocked that the signal strength was that strong. I'm so glad I went ahead and picked up the CM4228.
It is the number 1 choice in Gwinnett..It still picks up Ch11 as well as all the rest.
You most likely will not get PAX- becuse of location but the rest will be good. For your Info I use a RS Vu-190 with a RS amp and a CM rotor. 95 percent of the time signal is good excpet for certain times during spring and fall-.. I get multipath real bad and the tuner can not lock when all the signals are bouncing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)