Recommended Tailgate setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jagowar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
We are going to start tailgating this year and was looking to get the equipment picked out. I have a dish account but one of the other guys with has has directv so we are pricing out both systems and see which one will be better.

Based on my early research it seems the must have these days is a swm enabled system. Any specific recommendations about dish/receiver hardware for a tailgate setup? Also when browsing solid signal they have a note in there that all new receivers require a 2 yr commitment. I assume that means we would have to reup his contract? That might be a deal killer because neither of us want to reup a contract with the SEC network on the horizon and neither company having committed to having the channel at launch (both of our contracts are up in august 2014). We both want to wait and see who is going to add and move to whoever does.

You need a slimline dish for hd, but not necessarily a swm setup. Any additional receiver on his account would extend his contract. Why not take one of his receivers/dvrs to the game? If he has an H25 or one of the new Genies then you would need to have a swm setup. Otherwise a non swm is fine.

I actually have an old slimline dish that I could use but I was more thinking about "future proofing" whatever I get and it seems that I would want swm equipment.

and the reason we can't take his receiver is he has a genie setup and his wife stays at home but wants to watch tv on gamedays. Plus we are going to start with 1 tv but eventually add more as it grows so not being burdened by a reup on the contract every time we add a new tv would be preferred.

Gotcha. Swm would be the way to go then. You would need a swm lnb and a power inserter.

jagowar,

Your two posts are in complete contradiction. Either a) you want to stay loose so you can move whatever direction SEC goes OR 2) you want to "future proof" whatever you get. For (A) you do not want to add any new equipment that would trigger an extension to your contract, and for (B) I can guarantee you that you can NEVER "future proof" yourself when it comes to technology. So, to keep you as "lightweight" as possible for your 2014 decision get a dish that will work with your DISH subscription and learn how to set that up. Take one of your receivers to the game. To go any further now will lock you into a minimum of a new 2 year contract on DirecTV. I don't know about dish. But, right now for tailgating or RVing Dish has a lot to offer with a smaller dish to setup. And they have some additional plans for intermittent use that are very reasonable. DirecTV is not ready to serve this group of people.

Given your criterion, this is the way I would go.

Bob

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)