Recommended TV for OTA tuner

ESA1178

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA USA
I currently have a nice Bravia TV, but its only fault being a 1st generation Digital. Which means that I can only pull about 3 channels. On my other TV's I get a lot more. I am thinking of replacing the 1st generation with a new LCD model. Would I just attach a coaxial to the second coaxial connection on the LNB and route to the tv? Thus using the dish as an antenna for the OTA? Or is there much more to it than that?

Mark

I'm confused as to what you are asking but no you cannot use a dish (Dish dish, directv dish, FTA dish) for OTA reception

Thanks iceberg.
I ended up getting my new TV today.
The last owners of this house had replaced the roof at one time and stowed a humongous antenna in the attic.
I just ran a coaxial from that to the new TV and whamo! 20 OTA digital channels.

Mark

ESA1178 said:
In order to acquire more channels should I install an amp? The coaxial from the antenna to the TV is over 20' and also has a splitter.

Mark

Am amp improves existing signals...but won't improve your ability to receive signals that you are not already receiving. You might find that you need a distribution amp to reduce the negative effects of multiple splitters to multiple TVs, (I had to do this.. I have also read of the use of line amps on long cable runs but really have no knowledge there.
Having an antenna in the attic might also have a negative effect on reception. You should look up your potential reception on line, this will give you coordinates so you can check the pointing of your antenna as well.

Good luck