Reconnecting coax fixes the picture

ctobola

Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
I am using DishNetwork in an older house (i.e., with older coax cable). I have a 55-inch Panasonic plasma upstairs - not near the tuner box.

Periodically, the picture on that TV will get very grainy or staticky. If I disconnect and then reconnect the coax, everything clears up. Occasionally loosening and tightening the connection will fix the problem... but generally I need to fully disconnect and reconnect the coax.

I'm sure this is something simple, but I can't seem to lay my hands on a solution.

Thanks, in advance!

Wait. Could it have anything to do with it being an older cable? Possibly even the connection tips themselves? To short copper tip?

As for grounding, what is the current policy on grounding? Each tech I have had here has given me different answers. Presently the hookup is not grounded.

Wait. Could it have anything to do with it being an older cable? Possibly even the connection tips themselves? To short copper tip?

It could be the tips. I think somebody jumped the gun with the 'Best Answer' stuff. IMO it could be a couple of different things causing this problem, including the TV tuner. Needs more trouble shooting. :)

As for grounding, what is the current policy on grounding? Each tech I have had here has given me different answers. Presently the hookup is not grounded.
The policy for grounding is whatever the local jurisdiction dictates. Most of the time that is the latest NEC but other jurisdictions like to add their own touches.

The coaxial cables are supposed to be grounded to a designated bonding point before they enter the outer wall of the structure.

I'd also be on the lookout for an outlet that is wired with the hot wire (black) on the silver screws.

It sounds to me like the F connector is failing. Also sounds like he is connecting the coax to the TV set's internal tuner. Perhaps it is a line running from TV 2 output of a 722 or 222.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)