Record DVR and watch live, question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rotorian

Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I want to upgrade to a DVR. Is there any DishNetWork receiver that would allow me to record one program and watch a live one at the same time, on the same TV?

I.e. let the wife watch soaps while I record some Scifi or vice versa, on the same TV. Sorta like VCRs have a pass thru, where it can record whatever and you watch whatever you want.

TIA.

P.s. if there is FAQ, I missed it, apologies.

You would need a dual tuner DVR like a 522/625. It will serve two rooms, so you can watch independtly, or put in Single Mode to do what you want on one TV. Keep in mind, Dual DVR is treated like ONE receiver in terms of billing.

KAB said:
You would need a dual tuner DVR like a 522/625. It will serve two rooms, so you can watch independtly, or put in Single Mode to do what you want on one TV. Keep in mind, Dual DVR is treated like ONE receiver in terms of billing.

Okay so this 522 in single mode, I can have the DVR record 522 and then I can watch, lets say, 521 while on the same tv? Right? Sorry for asking again, just want to make sure, since I just bought a 510 from Sears, saying that it would do it, and it does not. Gotta go return this one and then see if anyone has a 522/625.

That is correct. Why not see if you are eligible for the Dish It Up promo through Dish..522 or a 625 if you local sub does not stock the 522 anymore. Just $100.00 installed.

So was I. It is for existing customers (or was a couple of months ago). Worth a call.

You can also use change your recording preferences by using Record Plus feature on the 625...I do this so I can watch 1 show while recording another. Record Plus lets you select where you want the show to record at...tv1 or tv2! No need to switch to single mode...

I have mine setup like RocketFoot. In our case, we have feeds from the living room and master bedroom on our 625. When we are in the living room, we record the program on the 2nd unit and then vice versa when we are in the bedroom. It's never a conflict with our viewing habits.

It's very simple after you setup the Record Plus. When you hit record, a screen pops up and has a few options...one of the options is TV1 or TV2. Just select whateve is appropriate.

Rotorian, it would probably be best to call either Dish or a Local Retailer. You may also need some updates to your cabling or your satellite switch. The 522/625 requires either two cable runs or a Dish Plus Pro switch with a Seperator to allow for a single run design.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)