Record from PVR to DVD?

triple crown

Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Is anyone aware of any restrictions that would prevent me from recording a Dish Network movie to my PVR508 and subsequently burning it to a DVD via a DVD recorder (for home/personal use only, of course) ?

as far as i know... nope... it wont be the same quality. I burn movies off of my 522 all the time with my new DVD recorder the wife and i got for christmas.

If there were a provision for moving the digital copy directly to DVDR, there would likely be restrictions. All DVDR's have analog inputs only, meaning only analog copies, in real time, can be recorded. That means no restrictions.

There is no way for your PVR to know whether it is hooked to a TV or a DVDR, so it can't shut down recordings. Likewise, there is no way for your DVDR to know whether it is being fed by a VHS tape or a DV camera or a PVR, so it can't shut down recordings either.

Bottom line, no digital restrictions on analog copies, even when the final copy is created digitally. There may be analog restrictions, such as macrovision, but I have never yet seen such problems with PVR-to-DVDR recordings. I make copies of movies from HBO all the time and have yet to run into this.

I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder. When I try to record movies from my PVR, the DVD recorder stops the recording and says that contents are copyright protected. Interestingly enough sometimes this does not happen depending on what movies I’m trying to record. Could you tell me how I can tell where the problem is? Is the content truly protected or are there some settings I should check or wires to connect differently

Thanks in advance,

gt3s4 said:
I have a Toshiba D-KR2 DVD recorder. When I try to record movies from my PVR, the DVD recorder stops the recording and says that contents are copyright protected. Interestingly enough sometimes this does not happen depending on what movies I’m trying to record. Could you tell me how I can tell where the problem is? Is the content truly protected or are there some settings I should check or wires to connect differently

Thanks in advance,
WOW I have never heard of a dvd recorder doing that.I have a panasonic and one of those cheapy trutechs and neither one has ever said that.I record from DVR all the time.

if dish network is using some type of macrovision protection, that would stop your Toshiba D-KR2 from making a copy.

I've had the Samsung DVD-r130 recorder for about a week, and have had no problems recording anything from my 942. Both movies, and shows have worked fine.

gt3s4 said:

Thanks in advance,

Have the same recorder and it does the same thing. I moved it to the den and bought a much less expensive Pioneer and do not have the issue anymore. I believe it has something to do with the software of the Toshiba and it can be pretty twitchy.

If you want to record movies from your DVR, buy another recorder and use the Toshiba for other recordings. Good Luck!:) :)

ShadowEKU said:
as far as i know... nope... it wont be the same quality. I burn movies off of my 522 all the time with my new DVD recorder the wife and i got for christmas.

Could you and others post the models of DVD recorders that work and what receiver? Since some DVD recorders are coming with some kind of Macrovision protection, it will be good to know what models actually work. I will be buying one but I keep finding reviews where people say that they can't record from Directv or Dish Network receivers.

Thanks.

My LG LRY-517 has recorded from my 721 & 508 with no problems. I've also recorded from an LG ATSC tuner and from the built in VHS. It's a combo unit- VHS & DVD of every flavor. Very Happy with it!:love

kokomogator said:
Have the same recorder and it does the same thing. I moved it to the den and bought a much less expensive Pioneer and do not have the issue anymore. I believe it has something to do with the software of the Toshiba and it can be pretty twitchy.

If you want to record movies from your DVR, buy another recorder and use the Toshiba for other recordings. Good Luck!:) :)

I also have this recorder and it pisses me off that this happens. I don't want to buy a different recorder, I just bought this one not too long ago. This sucks that it stops when recording. Wish there was a way around it :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)